Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Howlin' Brothers – Some Thoughts While Listening To “Long Hard Year”



I am loving the Howlin' Brothers. I reviewed their new CD, Howl, a little while ago, and they were kind enough to send me a copy of an earlier release, Long Hard Year. And that’s what I’m listening to now. It is putting me in a great mood, and this is after a day of dealing with the unemployment overlords, and stress regarding a dozen other things. That’s all gone now.

I’m dancing and Skippin’ in the Mississippi Dew, knocking into things, slapping knees and whatever else might be handy. Hey, there are a couple of hits left in this pipe – a gift from the spheres! And on into the sweet beauty of “Till I Find You.” “Ain’t coming down till I find you.” Well, we’ll see, eh? What a wonderful tune. It’s followed by the deliciously mean “Cold Blood” – “I hope you burn/I hope you fry.” Reminds me a bit of the Stones when they were doing awesome blues and country songs.

“Cherokee Shuffle,” an instrumental, is putting me in bluegrass bliss. Just listen to that guitar. I’m eating pizza, listening to bluegrass, and it’s working for me – even as it goes gospel with “Fully Saved.” Praise the lord, and pass the Parmesan cheese. That’s right, they’re not strictly bluegrass. They provide a groovy dose of blues with “Boll Weevil.”

Just opened my third can of Mountain Dew. I’m going to be up late tonight. “Take Your Time” is some sweet folk, which I completely love. It has a great feel to it, makes me feel nostalgic – for just what, I’m not sure, but nostalgic all the same. “I don’t know where we’re going to, couldn’t tell you how far/But as long as I’ve got your voice, honey, I don’t really care where we are.” This song is making miss so many people. Where are they? When I find them, I’ll play ‘em this song. So good.

Holy moly, a caffeine rush hits me with “Whitehouse Blues.” Listen to that bass galloping through the speakers and into my apartment, causing a bit of a mess. Then there’s a surprise when “Hold On To Me” switches gears into “Tumbling Tumbleweeds,” a song I’ve always loved. Who doesn’t love it? If you find someone who dislikes that song, give him a wide berth – you don’t want to catch whatever he’s got.

I’m digging “Down The River Road” with that wonderful manic pace of bluegrass. Fuck, I have to see these guys in concert. I hope they come out to Los Angeles soon.

Bugger, I’m out of beer. And I’m broke, so a trip to the store is out of the question. And it’s been a Long Hard Year, just as they say (wait, it’s only April). Ah, that great pounding, that loose bluesy vibe, and I love that harmonica. Okay, I’ll make do. But wine just isn’t right at the moment, you know? Certainly not after all that Mountain Dew. But I’ll be dancing that out of my system soon enough, I suppose. Then I can break into the wine. Yup, I’m in for the long haul. Good thing there’s plenty of great music.

No comments:

Post a Comment