Saturday, August 1, 2020

Mandy Barnett: “A Nashville Songbook” (2020) CD Review

Talented vocalist Mandy Barnett, known mostly for her work in the country realm, gave us something a little different on her 2018 release Strange Conversation, where she played some blues, soul and pop numbers. Now she is following that up with A Nashville Songbook, on which she offers some excellent covers of popular material, most of it from the early 1960s through the early 1980s, and all of it connected one way or another with the town of Nashville, including songs by Kris Kristofferson and Eddie Rabbitt. On this album she is backed by Gordon Mote on keyboard, Bryan Sutton on acoustic guitar and mandolin, Kerry Marx on electric guitar, Larry Paxton on bass, Eddie Bayers on drums and percussion, Scotty Sanders on pedal steel, Stuart Duncan on fiddle, and Fred Mollin on synths and guitar. There is also a string section and a horn section.

A Nashville Songbook opens with an absolutely delicious rendition of “I Love A Rainy Night,” a song written by Eddie Rabbitt, David E. Malloy and Even Stevens, and originally recorded by Eddie Rabbitt, who had a hit with it in the early 1980s. This song brings me back to my childhood, certainly, but Mandy Barnett puts her own cool spin on it. This lively and fun version should help cheer you up if that is what you’re in need of. And, really, who doesn’t need a bit of cheering up these days? This version features some nice work on keys. Mandy follows that with Roy Orbison’s “It’s Over.” I was fortunate enough to get to see Roy Orbison in concert once, shortly before he died, and his voice was miraculously as strong and gorgeous as ever. This is one of his most well-known songs, and Mandy Barnett does an excellent job with it. This track grabs you from its opening moments, and then when those strings come in and rise to prominence, this song’s hold on you tightens. Her vocal performance is undeniably honest, and even haunting at moments. Then from another of the world’s most talented songwriters, Kris Kristofferson, Mandy gives us a sweet version of “Help Me Make It Through The Night,” a song that has been covered quite a bit, by folks like Sammi Smith and Loretta Lynn. Mandy’s vocal performance is moving and beautiful, and there is some pretty work on strings supporting her. “Yesterday is dead and gone/And tomorrow’s out of sight/And it’s sad to be alone/Help me make it through the night.” In these uncertain times, we need help getting through the day as well as the night.

The country vibes are particularly strong on this enjoyable rendition of “A Fool Such As I,” a song written by Bill Trader and recorded by Hank Snow, who had a hit with it. This rendition features some great work on pedal steel and some fun backing vocal work, but it is Mandy Barnett’s timeless vocal quality that really makes this track something special. She completely nails this song. That’s followed by “Love Hurts,” a song written by Boudleaux Bryant, and originally recorded by The Everly Brothers. But for me, it was the Nazareth version that I heard first. I bought that Nazareth cassette in my early teens and listened to “Love Hurts” over and over. You remember those teen years, when every moment seemed crucial, and songs such as this dug into you with what seemed like the most personal of connections and meanings. Mandy Barnett is aware of that sense, and the heartache in her voice seems to speak for whatever pain you might be feeling, and her version builds gradually until you realize you are under her spell and she is speaking directly to you and only you. Then she lets you down rather gently at the end. Then “It’s Now Or Never,” which was a big hit for Elvis Presley, opens with some really nice work on guitar. She gets more wonderful support from the string section on this track.

I still remember the impact of The Crying Game when I saw it for the first time in the movie theater, and no, I had no idea about the film’s little twist. And, seriously, how gorgeous was Jaye Davison? The version from that film was performed by Boy George, whose voice is stunning, but the song goes back nearly three decades before that film, with the 1964 recording by Dave Berry. Mandy Barnett’s approach is somewhat different from both of those renditions, with that pretty work on pedal steel and the way the strings are used. That’s followed by “(Hey Won’t You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song,” which was written by Larry Lee Butler and Chips Moman, and was a big hit for B.J. Thomas. This is a song I loved during my childhood. And good thing, too, for it was inescapable at that time. But I don’t think I’ve heard it since then, not until this rendition by Mandy Barnett, which is a total delight, featuring good work on keys and pedal steel. Mandy totally goes for it here, delivering an earnest performance. Plus, this track features the horn section. I was not expecting to be tickled so much by this track, but it ends up being one of my favorites. Then a more serious tone on piano starts “The End Of The World,” a song written by Arthur Kent and Sylvia Dee, which became a hit for Skeeter Davis in the early 1960s. Mandy Barnett delivers a beautiful vocal performance here, backed by some gloriously sad work on pedal steel.

Mandy Barnett presents a jazzy, playful country rendition of “Near You,” a song written by Francis Craig and Kermit Goell. This, I believe, is the oldest song she has chosen to cover on this album, this one from the late 1940s. This rendition features some nice work on fiddle. She follows that with a beautiful and earnest take on “You Needed Me,” which was a hit for Anne Murray in 1978. Mandy’s voice is warm and engaging as she sings, “You gave me hope/When I was at the end/And turned my lies/Back into truth again/You even called me friend/You gave me strength/To stand alone again/To face the world/Out on my own again.” It takes a great amount of strength to face the world these days. Who can bear it? We all need someone to give us hope, to give us strength. The fiddle then leads the band into a bouncy country number, “Heartaches By The Number,” written by Harlan Howard, and recorded by folks like Guy Mitchell and Buck Owens. “Every day you love me less/Each day I love you more.” The album concludes with a gentle, intimate rendition of Hank Williams’ “I Can’t Help It (If I’m Still In Love With You),” Mandy’s voice supported by keyboard.

CD Track List
  1. I Love A Rainy Night
  2. It’s Over
  3. Help Me Make It Through The Night
  4. A Fool Such As I
  5. Love Hurts
  6. It’s Now Or Never
  7. The Crying Game
  8. (Hey Won’t You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song
  9. The End Of The World
  10. Near You
  11. You Needed Me
  12. Heartaches By The Number
  13. I Can’t Help It (If I’m Still In Love With You)
A Nashville Songbook is scheduled to be released on August 21, 2020 though Melody Place and BMG.

2 comments:

  1. It nice to read this preview of Mandy's new album, which I'm so eagerly awaiting. I bought the digital download, but can't wait to wait receive the vinyl and CD, since some of us still enjoy the physical product with pictures and text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like to have my music on either CD or vinyl. I like to read the liner notes and all that, but I also think we appreciate music more when we can handle a physical object.

      Delete