Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Katie Knipp: “Take It With You” (2018) CD Review

Katie Knipp, a singer and songwriter based in the Sacramento area, has one hell of a powerful voice, one in which soul and the blues thrive. She has a delicious and distinct approach, marking every track of Take It With You, her excellent 2018 release. This album features all original material, written by Katie Knipp. In addition to providing the vocals, she plays piano, dobro, harmonica, tambourine and organ. Joining her on this release are Neil Campisano on drums and percussion, Zachary Proteau on bass and tuba, Brett Vaughn Rechtfertig on electric guitar, Chet Chwalik on trumpet, and Al Bent on trombone.

The album opens with “Ya Make It So Hard To Sing The Blues” (or “Ya Make It So Hard,” as it is listed on the CD case), which begins with a great steady thumping, like an announcement that something good is coming, and when Katie’s vocals come in, we are certain that something very good indeed has arrived. She does some playful and exciting things with her voice, letting it get rough yet never out of control. “I don’t sit around feeling down no more/I don’t sit around feeling victimized no more/Since you bit me with your hungry mouth/Ain’t no way I’m going to  let my love run out.” Yeah, it’s a love song, the kind of kick-ass love most people crave. And it’s a love song that is aware of itself as a love song. That’s followed by “I Don’t Sing For You.” Interestingly, this one also begins with the beat. And that bass line is so damn good. What a great groove. Here she is taking control: “I don’t sing for you/I don’t sing for you/I don’t sing for you anymore.” Her voice is a force, and adding to the power of this song is that work on guitar. The band jams a bit at the end. Scott Brill-Lehn joins Katie Knipp on backing vocals on this track.

Then “Letters” eases in, having a darker aspect at the start, the guitar creating a somewhat unsettling and haunted atmosphere. The song’s opening lines are “I saw you drinking your dinner/And I saw you standing on the edge/And I know that we belong together.” Her voice then rises far above the atmosphere that was created, leading to the song kicking in. “Letters” is followed by “Metro In Paris.” There is something absolutely delicious about this jazzy song, with that sexy, playful vocal performance and that cool rhythm that promises some mischief. “And you’ll be satisfied/‘Cause by the end of the night, you’re going to have to want to be mine.” Oh, I don’t think anyone could deny the spell she is casting here. I love that work on keys as well. This is one of my personal favorites. “I Will Stick Around” may begin slowly, but this track features another powerful vocal performance, an incredibly soulful delivery.

In “Come Back,” Katie Knipp sings “And maybe I’m crazy/You always said I was/But that just might be the pathway back to me.” And the way she holds onto the word “me” is absolutely wonderful, having the power to draw us all down that pathway to her. There is something sexy, something alluring about this raw track. And, what, is it about werewolf love? “I want to see your hair get wild/And your teeth start lengthening.” And check out these lines: “I want to be there when you die/And feel your limbs grow cold/I want to hear your heartbeat stop/Hold your hand when you go.” At times this song kicks in with a delirious force. Then listen to what she does with her voice at the end. That’s followed by “Get Outta My Dream,” a song that comes on with a joyous force, a glorious rockin’ sound, and features some good work on keys.

A solid, thumping drum and some cool work on harmonica lead us into the heavy blues rocking number “Santa Cruz Blues.” It should come as no surprise at this point, but this song features another powerful vocal performance. “A terrible force, the devil himself, stood right in my way.” Man, I can’t imagine anything getting in this woman’s way. I feel in that confrontation it would be the devil limping away with his tail tucked between his legs. That’s followed by “Another Round,” which establishes a delicious groove right away. And then we get horns, taking things to a whole other level of fantastic. “Let’s get ready, ready for another round.” This track is insanely cool, a bit of New Orleans, a bit of heaven, and another of my favorites. Katie Knipp then closes out the album with another excellent song, “Last Man Out,” the strumming on the guitar having a sweet vibe. At times her vocals match that sweet, gentle sound, pulling us in. Of course, that force just can’t be held back for long and she belts out certain lines.

CD Track List
  1. Ya Make It So Hard To Sing The Blues
  2. I Don’t Sing For You
  3. Letters
  4. Metro In Paris
  5. I Will Stick Around
  6. Come Back
  7. Get Outta My Dream
  8. Santa Cruz Blues
  9. Another Round
  10. Last Man Out
Take It With You was released on November 7, 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment