Monday, March 16, 2020

All The Real Girls: “Movie Star Handsome” (2020) Vinyl Review

As concerts are canceled, and as theatres and bars and restaurants close, more and more we are going to find ourselves on our own for our entertainment. It is a strange and stressful time, to be sure, but it is also a great time to listen to records. There is something both calming and exciting about putting the needle into the groove of a new album, when we are ready for whatever journey the music is about to take us on. Movie Star Handsome, the new album from All The Real Girls, has been released on vinyl as well as CD, and it is a treat to place this one on the turntable. The Seattle-based band is led by Peter Donovan, who wrote all the lyrics for this release. He provides the vocals and plays rhythm guitar. Evan West is on bass. Zander Nevitt is on lead guitar. Matt Millen is on drums. There are also several special guests on various tracks, including Bill Nordwall on piano, organ, mellotron, synthesizers and glockenspiel. The album cover reminds me a bit of the first New Riders Of The Purple Sage record, with the circle in the center, and band’s initials in the top part of the circle, and the artwork including a cactus. And the music certainly has a strong country element.

Side A

The album kicks off with “Rob Me Blind,” and immediately we get the sense of how important vivid characters are in this band’s songwriting, and how these characters have stories to tell us. The first time I listened to this song, the lines that stood out for me were “I wasn’t much to look at then, and I ain’t much better now/But you love me anyhow.” I like that there is a pause before “But you love me anyhow,” for it gives that line more emphasis, more meaning. Ah yes, this song ends up being a sweet love song of sorts. “Whoever said crime don’t pay/Has probably never seen your face on a sunny day.” That’s followed by “Shows What I Knew,” which has a harder edge from the start. “I never thought in a million years/There’d be anything left that you would need to prove/Shows what I knew.” Then toward the end, unexpectedly, it becomes a song you might find yourself singing along with. “We’re gonna be good boys like our brothers/We’re gonna be good girls like our mothers.”

Mike Giacolino joins the band on harmonica for “Could’ve Told Me Then,” and I absolutely love his work here. His presence is felt and appreciated from the very beginning, and helps to make this one of my personal favorites. This track has a lively country rock sound, and an excellent vocal performance. This is a song about a couple heading out on the road together. “We packed up everything we had, headed out east on the ten/And if you knew you’d never love me, well, you could have told me then.” I also love these lines: “And I know you never made me any promises/And I could have done so much better to win your heart/As the years go by, it seems to me it’s getting colder each spring/I’m trying to keep busy, but I haven’t done a thing.” This is a seriously good song, and I highly recommend checking it out.

All The Real Girls is a band with ties to the movies. Its name comes from a 2003 film starring Patricia Clarkson, Zooey Deschanel and Paul Schneider. And Peter Donovan has some experience in the film industry himself, having acted, directed and produced, as well as written music for a film. So perhaps it is no surprise that this band would refer in some way to films in these tracks. “Movie Star Handsome,” the album’s title track, features some fantastic lyrics. Check out these lines: “I’ll let you go and break my heart/I’ll let you tear that sacred muscle apart/And swallow the spark/Build a cage in the dark.” I particularly love that line “I’ll let you tear that sacred muscle apart,” such a strong and powerful image, a more graphic description that is incredibly effective. But my favorite line in this song is “And I’ll write your name with claw marks in the sky.” Wow, these guys can create some memorable and striking phrases. This is certainly another of the album’s strongest tracks. It features Eric Corson on slide guitar. The first side of the record then concludes with “Wolves,” which begins softly on piano. “And we’ve heard there’s wolves at the door and they want in.” After that line, the song kicks in, and includes some frightening and depressing lines, like “And I guess we’ve read our last book/We’ve danced our last two-step, we sung our last hook/And we’ve seen the scoundrels and crooks, they always win.” This is a powerful and stirring song.

Side B

The second side of the record then begins with a cheerful-sounding tune, “Empty Glass Of Ice.” The lyrics, however, contrast with that tone, and are about a nasty breakup (“You sold my favorite records and threw my clothes out on the lawn”), leading the man to drink by himself at a bar until closing time. Yet for him there is still hope. And the song has some humor, in lines like “I think I’d better call you, then I think I’d better not/I think it’s time somebody took me home.” Yes, it’s a country song about drinking, and it features some nice work by Ed Brooks on pedal steel, which adds that great lonesome feel to it. There is some clapping at the end, however, which quickly dispels that sense that this poor guy is alone. I would have cut that. That’s followed by “Hometown Hero.” This one too has a rather bright sound, and is more of a rock song, with some lines that work in contrast, such as “I wake up crying most nights” and “I’m a shipwreck, I’m a ghost.”

“Brother Brian” opens with a punch, a strong beat, which works well with its subject, which includes bombs and death. I love the surprising addition of horns to this exciting song. Samantha Boshnack is on trumpet, and Chris Credit is on saxophone. Then in “Do Your Worst,” Peter Donovan sings, “I want to live forever/I want to watch the sands of times roll by/I want us to be together/So do your worst to me tonight.” An unusual declaration of love, eh? I love it. I also love this line: “They say you’ve got a mouth on you, it’s full of razor blades.” Interestingly, some nice female backing vocals by Amanda Winterhalter help to create the sense of this being a sweet love song. This track is another of the record’s highlights. The record then wraps up with “Your Favorite Songs,” another unusual love song. Check out these lines: “If you want to be the captain of a ship/I’ll carve you out an ocean and build a boat in it.” This is perhaps the album’s more interesting track. It pulls you in, and there is something undeniably beautiful about it. Certainly part of that is Jacqueline Ryall’s presence on cello. After the line “But we’ll be strong somehow,” the song kicks in, which is perfect. “I’ll lie and say it gets better/I’ll tell you there’s a light at the end/But you don’t need my pity.”

Record Track List

Side A
  1. Rob Me Blind
  2. Shows What I Knew
  3. Could’ve Told Me Then
  4. Movie Star Handsome
  5. Wolves 
Side B
  1. Empty Glass Of Ice
  2. Hometown Hero
  3. Brother Brian
  4. Do Your Worst
  5. Your Favorite Songs
Movie Star Handsome was released on both vinyl and CD on February 21, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment