Saturday, January 23, 2016

Patrolled By Radar at The Federal Bar, 1-23-16 Concert Review

Patrolled By Radar performing "Lost Cause"
I am always excited when I get a chance to see Patrolled By Radar, and I am particularly excited when I don’t have to get on the 405 to do it. And tonight I didn’t even have to get in my car. They played at The Federal Bar in North Hollywood, walking distance from my apartment. I was told they were to go on at 8 p.m. sharp, so when at 7:55 p.m. a comedian was introduced, I was a bit confused. He danced around to Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition” and then did a short set. He asked me if I had any New Year’s resolutions. I told him, “No,” and after that he left me alone. At 8:07 p.m., he introduced Patrolled By Radar.

They kicked off their set with “Widow Next Door,” the lead-off track from the band’s 2011 release, Be Happy, and then followed it with the title track from that CD (with Jay Souza playing harmonica). “It’s been a while since we played here,” Jay said, then added, “What do you think about that?” They did a nice version of “El Norte,” from the 2014 release Cool Your Jets, then followed it with a new song, “I Feel Found.” This is a really good song, and it’s getting me excited for their new album (whenever that may be – I am hoping it will be later this year).

They did a couple of my favorites – “Lost Cause” and “Coat Of Disappointment.” “Coat Of Disappointment” was particularly good tonight, with Jay again on harmonica. The band got bluesy with a good cover of Slim Harpo’s “Rainin’ In My Heart.” They also did a cover of “Walking The Dog.” In between those was a really sweet rendition of “Fast Life Slow Death.” In introducing “Born Thirsty,” Jay raised his cup to 2016, saying, “It’s going to be interesting… and scary.” Patrolled By Radar ended the set with “This Is Not The Blues.” Their set ended at 8:50 p.m., and they were followed by Stumpwaller.

Set List
  1. Widow Next Door
  2. Be Happy
  3. El Norte
  4. I Feel Found
  5. Lost Cause
  6. Coat Of Disappointment
  7. Rainin' In My Heart
  8. Fast Life Slow Death
  9. Walking The Dog
  10. Born Thirsty
  11. This Is Not The Blues 
Here are a few photos from their set:

"El Norte"
"Lost Cause"

"Lost Cause"
"Lost Cause"
"Rainin' In My Heart"
"Rainin' In My Heart"

The Federal Bar is located at 5303 Lankershim Blvd. in North Hollywood, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment