Tuesday, February 23, 2021

The Walk-A-Bout: “Afterglow” (2021) CD Single Review


The Walk-A-Bout is a rock band based in New York that put out its first album in 2017, and followed that self-titled debut with Things Are Looking Up in 2018 and 20/20 in 2020. The band’s new single is a cover of “Afterglow,” a song written by Andrew Farriss and Desmond Child as a tribute to Michael Hutchins, and originally released by INXS in 2005, several years after the death of that band’s original lead singer.

The Walk-A-Bout delivers a beautiful rendition of “Afterglow,” featuring some nice vocal work and hints of a late 1960s vibe, with a bit of a folk-rock sound. There is also a string section, which adds to the beauty and emotional impact of the track. I was never a fan of INXS. Something about their sound in the 1980s irritated me, and I didn’t listen to any of their output after that. But I really like this song, particularly the way The Walk-A-Bout approaches it. “Touch me and I will follow/In your afterglow/Heal me from all this sorrow/As I let you go/I will find my way when I see your eyes/Now I'm living in your afterglow.”

The second track on this single is an acoustic version of “Hero,” a song from 20/20 that was written by guitarist Dave Christian. I prefer this new version over the original album track. It is somehow more engaging. “It’s getting harder to see all the good intentions that led us here/It’s getting harder to fight all of the anger and all of the tears/Seems like a lifetime watching you change.” This track also features some good work on guitar.

CD Track List

  1. Afterglow
  2. Hero

Afterglow was released on February 5, 2021 on Shred The Evidence Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment