Sunday, December 13, 2020

Drunken Prayer: “It’s Christmastime” (2011/2020) Vinyl Single Review


It’s Christmas time, and Drunken Prayer has wrapped up a present for us. Seriously. The new re-issue of the “It’s Christmastime”/“Look Ma, I’m Drunk (And Crying)” single comes in a handmade sleeve wrapped in Christmas paper, and labeled and numbered in black ink on masking tape. On my copy, they even messed up and put the Side B song at the top, labeling it “A,” then crossed out the “A” and wrote “B” over it. I love it! And that works so well with the loose, cool music contained on the record. Christmas is a time for drinking, and this record should accompany you through whatever inebriated festivities you take part in. Drunken Prayer is the project of Morgan Christopher Geer, and both songs on this single were written by him. This record was recorded in Asheville, North Carolina, with The Krektones as the backing band. And what’s more, this single is presented on translucent red vinyl. If that doesn’t get you in the holiday mood, what will?

“It’s Christmastime” is a totally fun, jazzy, groovy, playful holiday song, in which he sings about his sweet baby, who is spreading her own holiday cheer around the town: “I love to sing about the things that make her happy/It’s Christmastime and my sweet baby’s ho-ho-hoing around.” This track features some nice work by Jason Krekel on fiddle. Hell, there is even some whistling. I mean, what more could you ask for? A trumpet? Well, all right, you get that too. “Jingle bells, my girl is hell on wheels come Christmastime.” Certainly, this is one of the best holiday songs out there, and should go on your holiday play list. Then “Look Ma, I’m Drunk (And Crying)” is a delicious, slow, sad drinking number with a strong New Orleans vibe. Oh, those horns! And I love the matter-of-fact delivery of lines like “My sister’s uptown, she’s a whore.” Ah, you know he means it literally. “I’m drunk and I’m crying and it’s Christmas/I don’t care, it’s just one more day.” Hey, is anyone out there planning on being sober this Christmas? Because I can tell you right now this isn’t the year for that. Sure, crying might be involved, but I fear the tears will be less bearable if you haven’t had a few bottles of whatever it is you reach for in these stressful times. So grab a drink and put this hot red record on your turntable, and ring in the holidays!

Vinyl Track List

Side A

  1. It’s Christmastime

Side B

  1. Look Ma, I’m Drunk (And Crying)

This special re-issue of It’s Christmastime is available in a limited run of 550 copies.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment