Wednesday, December 16, 2020

The Sensational Country Blues Wonders!: “The World Will Break Your Heart” (2020) CD Review


The Sensational Country Blues Wonders is the project of Gary Van Miert, a singer and songwriter based in New Jersey. The World Will Break Your Heart features all original material, written by Gary Van Miert, the music being country, with a certain Bakersfield sound influence, but also blues, ragtime and honkytonk influences. And it’s all delivered with a sense of fun.

The album opens with “Second Fiddle To A Steel Guitar,” and you can probably guess from that title that this one has a playful aspect. It is adorable and enjoyable, and the line “Where in a whisky bottle she will sink and finally drown” for one reason or another made me laugh aloud the first time I heard it. It’s a drinking song, but about someone else’s drinking. And yes, there is some good work on steel guitar, as well as fiddle, and there is a moment when the two come together that is wonderful. That’s followed by “I’m Afraid Of Every Goddamn Thing,” a title that reminds me of a joke from The Simpsons. An elderly character is doing standup in front of other elderly people, and he says: “You know what else scares me? Everything.” Anyway, this is a sweet-sounding country song about a pervading fear, a song that will likely speak to people in this rather terrifying year. Hey, aren’t we united in our fears? It begins, “I’m afraid of scary clowns and snakes/I’m afraid of drowning in a lake/I’m afraid of crashing in my car/I’m afraid of taking things too far.” This is a totally delightful song, a song to help us smile at our own personal fears. “I’m afraid of what each new day brings.” Ah yes, that has been our existence for the last four years, hasn’t it?

“I Can Hear The Music Plays” opens with the lines, “Wherever I go, whatever I do/Music sticks in my head like glue/When I hear it playing on and on/I know my blues will soon be gone.” Now those are some lines I can relate to, and if you’re reading a music blog, I’m certain you can relate to them as well. And in this total shitstorm of a year, music has been one thing that has kept me sane. Also, I like the way he draws out the line, “I know my blues will soon be gone,” putting more emphasis on it. And we should focus on that idea too, for our blues will soon be gone. These lines also stand out for me: “Music is what I live for/Whatever ails you, it will cure.” Music has helped me get through not just this godawful year, but the last four damn years. But the country’s blues will soon be gone, for its main source has finally been fired. That’s followed by “When Your Heart Is Blue,” a sweet waltz. “What do you do when your heart is blue/You pick yourself up and find something to do.” Hey, am I crazy or does this song remind you a bit of John Lennon’s “Happy X-mas (War Is Over),” particularly in the vocal line at times? “I’ve got a blue heart and don’t know what to do/I’m in a grey mood through and through/I’m seeing red and I can’t do a thing/Just deal with the pain that my blue heart will bring.”

“Double Barrel Blues” is a total delight, and came as a surprise the first time I listened to this album, what with that old-time parlor sound. I love it, particularly that work on piano. Plus, it features tuba. So there. And can you blame him for having the blues? When you have a shotgun pointed at your face, you will certainly have the blues too. “I guess that I’m just born to lose/I guess I’ve got to pay my dues/I’ve got those double barrel blues.” That’s followed by “Love Murders Your Heart,” a fun song on the darker aspects of love. I am happy to say I can’t relate to this one at all, but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying it. Then “I Won’t Change Anything (My Oh My)” is a positive, joyful song celebrating a lack of restrictions. “They would smack me in the head/But I wouldn’t do a thing they said/I won’t follow their rules, my oh my.”  You have to love a country song that includes the line “I won’t bow down or follow tradition.” Plus, this track features some nice work on fiddle.

Things then get bluesy with “I’m A Heartbreaker.” Check out that harmonica! Though the vocals are still country through and through. And when he sings, “Don’t believe a word I say/‘Cause you know I’m a liar,” I can’t help but think of a certain pile of human waste occupying the White House (but he will soon be gone!). “I’m A Heartbreaker” is followed by “My Baby Stabbed Me With A Steak Knife.” This song’s title is the second one from this album to make me laugh (the first being the lead track). “My girlfriend’s got a temper that she can’t control.” I’ll say! The album then concludes with “Privilege,” a rather beautiful and moving song, featuring what is probably the best vocal performance on the album. Here is a taste of the lyrics: “Still my love will only cease/When my heart no longer beats/I don’t know where the time has gone/The days fly by from dusk ‘til dawn/But if there’s one thing I’ve learned is true/It’s a privilege to know all of you.” It’s a song celebrating the friends and other folks who play a part in our lives, something to think about these days, to be aware of how meaningful our relationships are. This album provides quite a few laughs, but it ends with a heartfelt and beautiful song.

CD Track List

  1. Second Fiddle To A Steel Guitar
  2. I’m Afraid Of Every Goddamn Thing
  3. I Can Hear The Music Play
  4. When Your Heart Is Blue
  5. Double Barrel Blues
  6. Love Murders Your Heart
  7. I Won’t Change Anything (My Oh My)
  8. I’m A Heartbreaker
  9. My Baby Stabbed Me With A Steak Knife
  10. Privilege

The World Will Break Your Heart was released on CD on November 13, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment