Thursday, September 17, 2020

Uncle Walt’s Band: “An American In Texas” (1980/2019) CD Review

Uncle Walt’s Band is a group you might have missed the first time around, as well as the second time around, for that matter, if you lived outside of Austin, Texas. They formed in South Carolina in the early 1970s, then moved to Austin, released an album, and then broke up. A few years later, in the late 1970s, they reunited, and released a few more albums. The first of those was a studio album titled An American In Texas, which last year was re-issued in an expanded edition, with a lot of bonus tracks and new liner notes. The band, known for its harmonies, was made up of Walter Hyatt, Champ Hood and David Ball, and all three contributed material to this album.

An American In Texas opens with a delightful, cheerful tune written by Walter Hyatt, “As The Crow Flies.” This is just the sort of thing I was in need of, with a wonderful jazzy vibe to the guitar work and of course some really good vocal work. Here is a taste of the lyrics: “I will fall in the woods, and the arrow and the goods will be yours/As the river rolls I will take you to the sea if you want me.” That’s followed by “You Keep Me Holding On,” a sweet number written by David Ball. It has a pleasant groove, and lyrics you can sing to your partner. “I love the things you do/You keep me holding on/You keep me holding on/And I will always want my arms around you.” This music is making me feel so good, no small task in these heavy days of dread and despair. I am guessing it will have the same effect on basically anyone who listens.

One of my personal favorites is “Sad As It Seems,” written by Champ Hood and Mary Cason. I love that wonderful jazzy country sound. “Why can’t you see/It’s not sad as it seems” are lines that certainly stand out these days. This track features some fantastic vocal work, including harmonies, as well as more excellent guitar work. Then “The Last One To Know” is a fast-paced, totally enjoyable country tune featuring fiddle, a song that calls folks to the dance floor. This one was written by Champ Hood, and it is he who plays fiddle. The fiddle also plays an important role in “Green Tree,” a sweet song written by Walter Hyatt and Tommy Goldsmith. This song includes some excellent lyrics, including these lines: “Why did the fragile once seem so strong/Why did forever once seem so long.” I love those lines. Then “At Least Two Ways,” a song written by Champ Hood, has a cool groove. I dig that bass work. “You know it’s all bound to change/But I’ll be the same man, believe me/And when the tables turn/There’ll be such sweet harmony.” Oh, there is a lot of sweet harmony right here. There are also some pop influences heard on this track. There is something tremendously enjoyable about this music. Check out the excellent vocal work on “Bluebird,” a track written by David Ball. “I’m always searching in the honky tonks/Her favorite spot on busy nights/She knows I’m waiting there with lonely arms/She knows I long to hold her tight.” And there is nearly a yodel in the delivery of the song’s title word. This track also features more good work on fiddle.

“Too Far To Fall” is a mellower, beautiful and engaging number written by Walter Hyatt and Mary Lou Hyatt. Check out these lines: “I don’t want to start again/This time I gave it all/And falling out of love with you/Is just too far to fall.” That’s followed by “An American In Texas,” the album’s title track, which is a fun fiddle number, the album’s only instrumental. I appreciate the playfulness of the title, by the way, sort of implying that America and Texas are two different places, something that often seems to be the case. This track was composed by Champ Hood. “Don’t You Know – Can’t You See” is another totally enjoyable track, with some pop influences. This is music to raise your spirits. “Just tell me that you care/Just tell me you’ll be there/Don’t you know each lonely day/I am without you, I am afraid/By your side we were two/Alone I am missing you.” There is some really nice guitar work on this track, and on the one that follows it, “Walking Angel.” The original album concludes with another of its highlights, “Deeper Than Love,” a pretty and sweet song in the folk and country realm, featuring more good work on fiddle and some beautiful lyrics. Check out these lines: “It’s so long we’ve been apart/When I remember your life/I remember mine.”

Bonus Tracks

This expanded edition contains thirteen bonus tracks. Yes, the bonus tracks outnumber the album’s original tracks. The first eight are from a release titled 6-26-79, which was originally put out only on cassette in the early 1980s, though recorded in 1979, and sold at the band’s live performances. “For The First Time” is a sweet love song written by David Ball, featuring good harmonies and some soft rock elements. “When I tell you how I feel/When I tell you I need you/I have thought for a long, long time/You would be here beside me.” That’s followed by another song written by David Ball, “Stay With The One Who Loves You,” which has a similar vibe, but with more of a jazzy feel. There is a bit of a Paul Simon style at a couple of moments. “Open Up Your Heart” is also a love song. It is a pretty song written by Walter Hyatt, and it includes some good guitar work. That’s followed by “Hard To Bear,” one of the most interesting tracks on this disc, with an unusual groove that ends up being kind of catchy, with a cool bass line. And of course the track features some wonderful vocal work. This one was written by Champ Hood.

“Shine On” has a bright, cheerful vibe right from the start. And these lyrics certainly stand out: “Yes, I’m aware that times are tough/Tomorrow’s no uncertain thing/But you don’t know what it will bring/You know it ain’t gonna bring enough.” This track has a positive feel, heard in the song’s main line, “Keep on working and shine on.” There is some excellent stuff on guitar too, helping to make this one of my favorite tracks. It was written by Walter Hyatt. It’s followed by “To Make You Believe,” which has something of an easygoing vibe, and includes an interesting vocal section. It was written by Champ Hood. “Though without you beside me/I know there’s no tomorrow.” Then in “All I Need Is You,” they sing “In the land of you/Where the dreams are true/I am by your side.” Yes, it’s another love song. I think we can use as many love songs as possible. While not ignoring the troubles (the numerous current troubles) of the world, it seems a healthful thing to turn our attention to those people who are most important to us in these trying times. So I say, bring on the love songs. “Lean On Your Mind” is the last of the songs from 6-26-79, and it’s a fun one. I like the lines, “Lean on your mind/And rest your mouth a while.” He also mentions walking “on happy feet,” and I can’t help but wonder if that is a Steve Martin reference. This song was written by Walter Hyatt.

The next four bonus tracks are concert recordings, all previously unreleased. The first is a cool number titled “Situé,” with a Brazilian vibe and featuring some good work on guitar. This one was written by Walter Hyatt and Champ Hood. It is followed by a completely delightful song, “Outside Looking Out,” this one featuring some absolutely delicious jazzy guitar work and a wonderful bass line. It was written by Walter Hyatt. “I found out I liked it on the outside, looking out, getting down.” This is one of the best tracks on the disc. “You Touch My Heart” is a pretty love song. “You touch my heart and now I linger/I am the voice and love is the singer/All too soon I’m on my way.” And the line “Everything has got to be jake with you and me” stands out, for I can’t remember the last time I heard someone use the word “jake” like that. The last of the live tracks is “Seems I Can’t Forget,” which was written by David Ball and features a really nice vocal performance. The disc’s final track is a studio recording of “She’ll Be There,” also written by David Ball, featuring a string session. “I never thought I’d find/A love of this kind.”

CD Track List
  1. As The Crow Flies
  2. You Keep Me Holding On
  3. Sad As It Seems
  4. Last One To Know
  5. Green Tree
  6. At Least Two Ways
  7. Bluebird
  8. Too Far To Fall
  9. An American In Texas
  10. Don’t You Know – Can’t You See
  11. Walking Angel
  12. Deeper Than Love
  13. For The First Time
  14. Stay With The One Who Loves You
  15. Open Up Your Heart
  16. Hard To Bear
  17. Shine On
  18. To Make You Believe
  19. All I Need Is You
  20. Lean On Your Mind
  21. Situé (Live)
  22. Outside Looking Out (Live)
  23. You Touch My Heart (Live)
  24. Seems I Can’t Forget (Live)
  25. She’ll Be There 
This special, expanded edition of An American In Texas was released on November 1, 2019 through Omnivore Recordings.

No comments:

Post a Comment