Friday, September 18, 2020

Dianne Davidson: “Perigon: Full Circle” (2020) CD Review

Dianne Davidson is a singer and songwriter who began her career in the 1970s, releasing three albums early in that decade. Since then, she’s provided backing vocals on albums by folks like John Hiatt and Dan Fogelberg, and toured with Linda Ronstadt’s band. In 1988, she released an album titled Breaking All The Rules. And now she has released a new album. Titled Perigon: Full Circle, it features mostly original material, written by Dianne Davidson. Joining her on this disc are Larry Chaney on guitar, Leigh Maples on bass, Nancy Gardner on drums, John Salem on keyboards, Tim McDonald on keyboards, Jim Thistle on percussion, and Michael Mishaw and Vickie Carrico on backing vocals, as well as several other guests on various tracks.

The album opens with “Just Out Of Reach,” a good, soulful number, a love song about a person who is there, but just out of reach. “I live each day knowing time is running out/But still I hope knowing love can conquer doubt/I have a good life/I am happy, safe and strong/But in my heart, there’s a place where you belong.” I dig the horn section of Roger Bissell on trombone, Denis Solee on saxophone and George Tidwell on trumpet. That’s followed by “Subtle Touch,” a delicious and groovy blues tune that features special guest Ruthie Foster on vocals. I am a big fan of Ruthie Foster’s work, and she contributes a good amount of power and soul here, helping to make this track one of the album’s highlights. Plus, there is some nice stuff on keys and guitar. Mac Gayden is on slide guitar on this track. “You make me moan and whisper when you love me with that subtle touch.” Then “Precious Boys” has a sweeter, mellower, but passionate folk vibe, and features some nice work by Barry Walsh on accordion. This is a song dedicated to those who were lost to AIDS. “I’m so much older, but you’re still the same/Frozen in time with a thousand names/I kept on living, but you had no choice/My heart is breaking, my precious boys.” There is a second version of this song included toward the end of the album, titled “Precious Boys – Film Version.” I’m not sure precisely what that title means, but this track does have something of the vibe and style of a film score, with the addition of Lisa Silver on violin. Dave Roe plays bass on this version. And I love that work by George Tidwell on trumpet.

The first cover on this album is “Over Africa,” a song written and originally recorded by Gretchen Peters. It was on her 1996 album The Secret Of Life. Dianne Davidson’s rendition has a bright, cheerful vibe from its start, in part because of the percussion. That’s followed by “Sounds Of The City,” a song that was written by Dianne Davidson, but originally recorded by Tracy Nelson for her 1978 album Homemade Songs. Dianne Davidson and Tracy Nelson have sung together on several albums by other artists, and Dianne actually provides backing vocals on Tracy’s recording. Dianne’s rendition opens with the sound of a distant siren, which seems unnecessary, but once we’re past that, this becomes a rather moving track, with a soulful and touching vocal performance. And check out these lines: “Is there a friend among the people/Who will tell me if I’m home/And I don’t know which way to turn to/Everything is strange and dim/I’d like to call up my family just to tell them where I’ve been.” Interestingly, it sounds like Tracy Nelson in her version sings, “Who will tell me if I’m wrong.” It is a song about being a touring musician, and it features some nice backing vocal work by Michael Mishaw and Vickie Carrico. Austin Wireman plays keyboards on this track.

“Solitary” is a cool song with a blues vibe and a rather serious sound to Dianne’s vocal delivery, as she describes life without her lover. “People say, oh, it ain’t so bad/I should enjoy all this freedom that I have/But without you, it’s prison here in my head/I’ve got four walls and a bed.” But those horns brighten things up.  That’s followed by “They All Leave,” another of the album’s highlights. “They say don’t be afraid/And hurt you anyway/As if your heart is just made of stone.” Her delivery is so interesting here; it’s part strength, part ache. The line “Can’t tell the truth from lies” certainly stands out in these days when a sad segment of our population worships the mendacious narcissist currently occupying the White House. This track features some nice work by Larry Chaney on electric guitar. The album’s second and final cover is Bob Dylan’s “To Make You Feel My Love,” a song that was included on his 1997 album Time Out Of Mind (where it is titled “Make You Feel My Love”). Billy Joel also recorded it for a compilation titled Greatest Hits Volume III.  Dianne Davidson does a wonderful job with it, delivering a beautiful and moving rendition, her voice supported by a string section. Gideon John Klein is on cello, Donny Reis is on viola, and Lisa Silver is on violin. The album concludes with another beautiful and touching song, “Missing You Tonight,” one of my personal favorites. In addition to a gorgeous vocal performance, Dianne Davidson provides some pretty and gentle work on acoustic guitar. She is supported by Gideon John Klein on cello, and Marianne Osiel on English horn. “It’s been so long since I’ve felt you beside me/Still, I think of you so tenderly/Too bad it’s only in my dreams.”

CD Track List
  1. Just Out Of Reach
  2. Subtle Touch
  3. Precious Boys
  4. Over Africa
  5. Sounds Of The City
  6. True Believer
  7. Solitary
  8. They All Leave
  9. To Make You Feel My Love
  10. The Island
  11. Precious Boys – Film Version
  12. Missing You Tonight
Perigon: Full Circle was released on August 28, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment