Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Fireside Collective: “Elements” (2020) CD Review

Fireside Collective is a group that might start in a traditional bluegrass realm, but takes inspiration from other musical genres, incorporating those influences into their material, the results being some beautiful and enjoyable songs that you’ll want to dance to, and featuring excellent harmonies. Based in Asheville, North Carolina, the band is made up of Joe Cicero on guitar, Alex Genova on banjo, Jesse Iaquinto on mandolin, Tommy Maher on dobro, and Carson White on upright bass. The band’s new album, Elements, which follows the 2017 release Life Between The Lines, features all original material.

The album opens with “Intro,” which is just a brief bit of tuning, as if the band is about to jump into a jam. The album then gets off to a great start with “Winding Road,” a groovy bluegrass song with some gorgeous harmonies. This is a song that might get you dancing once it has pushed away your cares and concerns. Here is a taste of the lyrics: “Never really sure what waits up around the bend/Is it another curve or some kind of sign/That might soothe my soul or ease my mind/It might give a little peace to the pieces of my mind.” And I really like this line: “I got my head in the clouds and my heart on the line.” And, yes, this is certainly a good song to add to your road trip play list. From what I’m hearing, once this pandemic is behind us, people are more likely to take road trips than travel by plane. So be prepared by collecting songs like this one. “Winding Road” is followed by “Back To Caroline,” which has a sweet, bright, positive sound and a good lead vocal performance by Tommy Maher, who wrote this one. Each of the musicians takes short leads. I am especially fond of the mandolin work on this one.

“Circles” has an interesting sound and style at the start before it kicks in, the instruments seeming to be in some kind of delightful conversation or dance. In part because of that section, which is revisited throughout the track, this is one of my favorite songs of the album. It was written by Jesse Iaquinto. “Sometimes the mornings come too soon/Sometimes I’m staring at the moon/Wondering why no matter how I try/I keep running circles in my mind.” Then “Done Deal” moves at a fairly good clip, and tells a lonely tale of woe. “It’s a done deal/I’m all alone/Sinking to the bottom with a heart of stone/Maybe someone will come by, throw me a line/Done deal/I can’t go home/Burned all my bridges there long ago.” This one was written by Joe Cicero. That’s followed by “Bring It On Home,” a tune with a funky rhythm. It’s a cheerful number addressed to a woman who has left. “I can’t recall/Why you up and left, my dear/Well, it seems a mystery to me/Can’t comprehend/Why you’d pretend to love me so/Then turn your back so easily.” But from the sound of this song, it seems he is waiting for her with open arms. So come on, lady, bring your love on home. This one becomes a good little jam, and then toward the end, I find myself singing along. It’s one of those songs, you understand. This is certainly a highlight of the album. “Waiting For Tennessee” contains an interesting jam too, one that gets a bit mellow as it begins to explore the surrounding territory, then comes together nicely, rising up and then bursting forward with a renewed determination and joy.

“Where The Broad River Runs” is a passionate and wonderful song of pursuing the good life. “All I need is a fiddle and a loaded whisky jar/And a barefoot girl to help me still my mind/Play a tune, so sad and sweet/As the evening sun retreats.” Oh yes, it sounds so appealing. This one then suddenly picks up the pace and takes off like a shot, so just hold on and enjoy. That’s followed by “Night Sky From Here,” an instrumental track that takes us on its own interesting journey. This one was written by Alex Genova. Then “Don’t Stop Lovin’ Me” has a meaner groove, its title line delivered like a command, like a need. “Don’t stop loving me/Don’t stop loving me/Anything you want, you can take it all/Don’t stop loving me.” That’s followed by “High Time,” a tune with a pleasant groove and vibe, and some wonderful vocal work. “The world’s turning out my window/And I’m dying inside.” Yup. However, going out right now is even more dangerous. These are crazy times.

“She Was An Angel” is a lively number written by Jesse Iaquinto. “Once to me she was an angel/Now she’s selling off the pieces of her soul.” It is hard when we see someone making mistakes, especially when there is nothing we can do to help. This track features a nice jam in the middle. It is followed by another fast-paced gem, “Fast Train,” moving like the train it speaks of. “Well, you were built for speed/And I was born to run.” And off we go! This one is whole lot of fun. It was written by Tommy Maher. The album then concludes with a reprise of its first song, “Winding Road,” the band jamming on it.

CD Track List
  1. Intro
  2. Winding Road
  3. Back To Caroline
  4. Circles
  5. Done Deal
  6. Bring It On Home
  7. Waiting For Tennessee
  8. Where The Broad River Runs
  9. Night Sky From Here
  10. Don’t Stop Lovin’ Me
  11. High Time
  12. She Was An Angel
  13. Fast Train
  14. Winding Road Reprise
Elements was released on March 20, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment