Saturday, August 19, 2023

The Dogs Play Heavy Medication Records Showcase, 8-18-23

Redwood Bar And Grill is hosting a two-day showcase of punk bands with vinyl releases out on Heavy Medication Records. Each night features three bands, and last night that included The Dogs, a band I’d been itching to see for a long time. When I moved to Los Angeles in the late 1990s, the second band I saw in this city was a trio called Kanary. Two members of Kanary – Mary Kay on bass, and Tony Matteucci on drums – are also members of The Dogs, something I hadn’t realized at first. I loved Kanary, and saw them every chance I got. The third member of Kanary, Leslie Knauer, played a show in the valley several weeks ago, and Tony Matteucci was in the audience, supporting his old bandmate. And he let me know about this special Dogs show. The reason behind the show was a vinyl release of Hypersensitive, an album that had previously only been available on CD. It was being put out by Heavy Medication Records, a label based in Warsaw, Poland. The official release date is September 1st, but copies were available to purchase last night, in both black vinyl and red (I bought the red, of course, because I have a weakness for color vinyl). Richard Duguay opened the night with a great set, and The Dogs followed. The Dogs played all the songs from Hypersensitive, in the order they’re presented on the record, something they said they hadn’t done before. And it was such a treat to see them. It was a high-energy set, to be sure, and Mary was seriously rocking that bass. Streetwalkin’ Cheetahs closed out the night (though I had to leave before they started, so I’ll have to check them out later). Tonight’s lineup includes Neverland Ranch Davidians, Pat Todd And The Rankoutsiders, and Guerrilla Teens. I saw Pat Todd perform a solo acoustic set last month, and he blew me away, so I’m certain tonight’s show is going to be good. The cover is $15.

soundcheck 

soundcheck 

soundcheck 


Redwood Bar And Grill is located at 316 W. 2nd St. in Los Angeles. Parking can be tricky in that area, but I found a spot five blocks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment