Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Maia Sharp: “Reckless Thoughts” (2023) CD Review

Maia Sharp is a singer and songwriter perhaps still known primarily for her writing, her songs having been recorded by artists like David Wilcox, Edwin McCain and Bonnie Raitt. And she collaborated with Art Garfunkel and Buddy Mondlock on the album Everything Waits To Be Noticed. She has also put out several of her own albums. In 2021, she released Mercy Rising, which featured all original material. And now she is following that with Reckless Thoughts, which also contains all original material, written or co-written by Maia Sharp. Maia, in addition to providing the vocals, plays acoustic guitar, piano, organ, mellotron, saxophone, baritone electric guitar and drums on this album. She is joined by the same core group of musicians who played on Mercy Rising: Joshua Grange on electric guitar, synthesizer and piano; Will Honaker on bass, baritone acoustic guitar and mellotron; and Ross McReynolds on drums and percussion. And Eric Darken is on percussion. There are also several guests on various tracks.

The opening track, “She’ll Let Herself Out,” immediately establishes a steady, and fairly relaxed, yet catchy groove. Check out the song’s first lines: “If it’s a pain, if it’s a problem/It won’t be hers anymore/She isn’t waiting to be excused/Or for you to walk her to the door.” This is a song about being capable, about finding the strength within to take charge of one’s life, and not needing to obtain anyone’s permission. “She’ll let herself out/The gate to the cages that she’s been living in/Now that she realized/They locked from the inside/She’ll never be something she’s not, not again.” Yes, Maia Sharp chooses a positive song to begin the album. And I like that the pace isn’t rushed. It isn’t some wild, spontaneous escape, but rather a determined and willful movement forward, at her own pace. “She’ll Let Herself Out” was written by Dean Fields and Maia Sharp. It is followed by “Old Dreams.” This one eases in, taking a moment to create a mood. “I’m tired of those old dreams/I’m not even dreaming anymore/That was the old me/She didn’t know what she was living for.” This is a beautiful song, one of my personal favorites. “It’s time to say goodbye to something I ain’t missing.” It’s about finding that place where you’re comfortable, where you are true to yourself, to the self you are now. This has been a time for soul-searching for many people, those who have a soul anyway, and I imagine this song will speak strongly to a great number of people. It’s hard to keep from looking back, but much needs to be shed in order to move forward. “When I close my eyes, I don’t see what I used to see/I’m just not the same as I used to be/And when the ghost tells stories/I get all nostalgic for the way it was/I’m sick of it getting to me like it does.” This song was written by Maia Sharp and Garrison Starr. Shelly Fairchild provides backing vocals on the album’s first two tracks.

When “On A Good Day” opens with the lines “On a good day, she don’t mind the rain/When you ask her, she says, I can’t complain/On a good day, she don’t miss you much,” I can’t help but wonder, how many days are good days. This song is about how it’s difficult to keep going when the past is so close behind, when the past is still present. But there are good days, aren’t there? Yet it seems that by saying “on a good day” it is implied that most of the days are not good ones. This track features some gorgeous and sad work on cello by Vanessa Freebairn-Smith. Yet, it is hopeful, optimistic. This song was written by Kim Richey and Maia Sharp. Maia Sharp lived in California for most of her life. It’s interesting how many songs are titled “California,” and how many of them speak to me. I’ve been living in California for more than two decades, but these songs spoke to me even before that move. Maia Sharp’s “California” begins softly on acoustic guitar. At first it might seem to be about a person, perhaps a friend, as she sings, “I don’t know where I would be without you.” And soon it becomes clear the song is about a place: “California, California/You were always good to me/I never thought that I would leave you.” It’s also interesting to me that friends are starting to move away from California now. My girlfriend and I have talked about it. I love it here, but things have changed. Could we be happy elsewhere? This is a beautiful song, with a string section and a gentle vocal performance. For she is speaking to a friend after all, isn’t she? Sav Burst is on violin and viola, and Katie Larson is on cello (they are members of The Accidentals). Peter Groenwald plays piano on this track, and Garrison Starr is on acoustic guitar and backing vocals. Groenwald and Starr wrote the song with Maia Sharp.

“Kind” has a stronger, cheerful groove. These early lines made me laugh out loud: “You can wear the colors of another team/None of that matters to me.” In a time when people are divided, and kindness and consideration seem to be things of the past, this song really stands out, reminding us that a lot of our differences really don’t matter, so long as we’re kind. “If you’ve got a good heart/That’s a good start.” A friend, who is now living in Florida, said a similar thing to me just the other day, talking about his experiences in a new state, that people were not quick to judge and they embraced what they had in common. And that is certainly encouraging. This song is also encouraging. “Kind” was written by Dean Fields, Maia Sharp and Mindy Smith. Mindy Smith also provides backing vocals. That is followed by “Too Far Now,” which begins in a mellower, more introspective place. “I keep going ‘til I’ve gone too far to turn around/I keep climbing ‘til I’ve gone too high to come down.” I love that saxophone part, which leads the song into another section where the music swells and builds beautifully. “And I don’t feel lost, but I’m sure as hell not found,” Maia sings here. This track also includes some nice percussion, which concludes the song. This one was written by Mando Saenz and Maia Sharp.

In “Gone Cryin’” Maia Sharp asks, “Have you ever gone cryin’ to get right?” Yes, indeed. There are times when that is the only way, and sometimes we have little choice in the matter. But, yes, we have different ways of handling things, of moving past troubles, such as driving, swimming, hiking. Music also helps me, songs such as this one. Elizabeth Elkins and Maia Sharp wrote this song. Then in “Fallen Angel,” the line “They show up disguised as each other” stands out. Also, this line: “I said, If you need armor, my arms wrap all the way around.” But perhaps the line I appreciate the most from this song is, “We rise above ourselves every now and then.” Isn’t it surprising when we do? But being human is where the action is, where the heart is. This song was written by Maia Sharp. That’s followed by “Everything You Need,” which also contains some excellent lyrics. “When I need holding, you hold me/When I don’t know what I need, you know/I like me better when you’re looking at me.” And the song’s main line is powerful: “You have everything you need to break my heart.” But that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? Completely opening yourself up to someone, taking a chance, making yourself vulnerable, because you can’t really have much without risking more. This song was written by Madi Diaz, Anna Schulze and Maia Sharp. The album then concludes with “The Road To Hell And Back,” written by Maia Sharp and Amanda Voisard. Interestingly, Maia returns to the idea of going out through a gate, introduced on the album’s first track, though this time with a different vibe. “Every time you wake up and walk out of that gate/You know all too well you’re tempting fate.” This track features some nice percussion. “You are singing/On the road to hell and back.” Wendy Moten, Emily West and Shelly Fairchild provide backing vocals on this track.

CD Track List

  1. She’ll Let Herself Out
  2. Old Dreams
  3. On A Good Day
  4. California
  5. Kind
  6. Too Far Now
  7. Gone Cryin’
  8. Fallen Angel
  9. Everything You Need
  10. The Road To Hell And Back

Reckless Thoughts is scheduled to be released on August 18, 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment