Tuesday, February 1, 2022

The Rave-Ups: “Tomorrow” (2022) CD Review

The first full-length album from The Rave-Ups, Town + Country, was one of the best records released in 1985. In 2016, that album was re-issued, with a lot of bonus tracks, and the band reunited briefly to celebrate the occasion, playing at an album release party. But that was it. Until now, that is. All four of the members that played on that first full-length release – Jimmer Podrasky, Terry Wilson, Timothy Jimenez and Tommy Blatnik – are back together and have a new album, their first in more than thirty years. Titled Tomorrow, this album features all original material, fantastic songs mostly written or co-written by Jimmer Podrasky. Part of what’s wonderful about this album is that these guys aren’t trying to recreate their popular songs from decades past. This is no nostalgia trip, though they do still do combine elements of different musical realms in their material, just as they did back in the 1980s. It is a continuation of what they were so good at, rather than a revisiting of it. The music is vibrant and fun, and features some really good lyrics. Basically, it is everything you could hope for from these guys. I hope this album is the first of many.

Things get off to a great start with “So You Wanna Know The Truth?” There is no easing in. These guys tear into it with eagerness and energy. The song has a driving beat. And is that a banjo rocking like a guitar? And then that guitar lead in the second half takes charge with a fiery spirit. So good! And yes, we want to know the truth. Truth is a topic and theme being explored by a lot of artists in these days when it is at times difficult to come by in the larger world. What happened to us as a nation? “Goodbye, world! Goodbye, man/I’ve had enough of this promised land/So long red and so long blue/And so long me and I guess it’s so long you.” That’s followed by “Brigitte Bardot,” which is a ridiculous amount of fun, a totally catchy track with some country elements. The energy these guys have here is barely contained, and is more than enough to give us all a lift. “My friends are all a bit concerned/They say that her bark is worse than her bite/But they don’t have to hear her.” I love this track.

“Roll” opens with some sweet work on harmonica. This song tells the tale of two lovers, offering vivid descriptions so that we feel we know them immediately: “Rosie isn’t too good at much/Of anything/And just wants to be famous/Any way that she can,” “Joey isn’t a bad guy/Just got dealt a bad hand/He just want to gets money/Any way that he can.” But the lines that really stand out for me come just before the end: “They’re not trying to get to heaven/They’re just tired of hell.” Those are great lyrics, and I bet a lot of folks can relate to those lines. This song was written by Terry Wilson and Jimmer Podrasky. Then the opening lines of “How Old Am I?” stand out: “How in God’s name can/You profess in God’s name, man.” This song will speak to anyone whose parents are having health troubles. “And when you see/It’s like yesterday.” This song features some nice pedal steel work by Marty Rifkin (whom you might know from his work with Bruce Springsteen). Then on “Cry,” a very cool vibe is established right away. This one also opens with a question, “How many times can you watch that thing/And still take it in your stride.” Asking questions feels right for these days, doesn’t it, when so much feels uncertain. This is a powerful song, one of my personal favorites, featuring an excellent vocal performance. “How long are you going to live that way?/How much more can you buy?/Karma has a funny way of getting you.” I’m not sure if I believe in karma, but there are certainly times when I want to see it in action.

“Coming After Me” also addresses that currently elusive element, truth, in the lines “Seems to me/They’re telling lies/You can see it in their eyes.” And yet this song has a strangely comforting sound and vibe, even as he sings a line that is certainly not comforting, “They’re coming after me.” I don’t think I’d do well being locked up, even for a short while. And I can’t even imagine the lasting trauma suffered by those kids who were separated from their families at the border. That’s followed by “The Dream Of California.” This one has something of a relaxed, easygoing vibe, which just somehow always works when singing about California. “All around us, all the beauty that surrounds us/All the plans of leaving yesterday behind.” This song feels how California should always feel, you know? It was written by Terry Wilson and Amy Glassberg Hobgood.

“She And He” is a sad song about a long relationship that has faded, though love might still be present.  Sometimes when you’re with me/It feels just like being alone.” This track features some really good work on harmonica, an instrument that is perfect for conveying that sense of loneliness, that sense of sadness. That’s followed by “When I Write Your Name,” which is also about a relationship that has ended, but this one has a more rocking sound. The thing that still ties them together is the series of alimony checks. “Tell me what is left/When I write your name.” I love that lead on guitar halfway through. The band then gets more into country territory with “Violets On A Hill,” a totally delightful and enjoyable song. Check out these opening lines: “I hope you never make me cry/But I’m bettin’ that you will.” Now aren’t those perfect opening lines for a country song? And how can you not love a line like “I’d need to hurry up to take my time”? This is another of my favorite tracks, and I love it more each time I listen to this disc. They wrap up this excellent new album with its title track, “Tomorrow.” The first line made me laugh out loud the first time I heard it, “Tomorrow I’ll do the dishes.” Yes, here is another song that we can all relate to. Sometimes it is a struggle to get through the day, as we look to tomorrow for things to be better. I love that this song can be heard as both hopeful and defeated. For me, the most striking line is “Tomorrow I’ll forget to worry.

CD Track List

  1. So You Wanna Know The Truth?
  2. Brigitte Bardot
  3. Roll
  4. How Old Am I?
  5. Cry
  6. Coming After Me
  7. The Dream Of California
  8. She And He
  9. When I Write Your Name
  10. Violets On A Hill
  11. Tomorrow

Tomorrow is scheduled to be released on February 4, 2022 through Omnivore Recordings. I hope that a tour will soon follow (well, as soon as everyone feels safe hitting the road).

No comments:

Post a Comment