Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Legendary Shack Shakers: “Cockadoodledeux” (2021) CD Review

One of the early albums from Legendary Shack Shakers was playfully titled Cockadoodledon’t. And the band’s latest album, Cockadoodledeux, plays on that title. The band has gone through several personnel changes over the years, and this album finds some earlier members returning, although Joe Buck (Jim Finklea), one of the main musicians on Cockadoodledon’t, does not play on it. Chris Scruggs returns on pedal steel, Nathan Brown on electric guitar, and Todd Anderson on upright bass. In addition to the returning members, this disc features a lot of special guests, including Jello Biafra, Jack Martin, Stanley Walker, Josh Coffey and Melissa Bogle. So it is like one great, delicious country western party that we’re invited to listen to. The album contains mostly original material, written by J.D. Wilkes. The current lineup for the band is J.D. Wilkes on vocals, French harp, banjo, piano, accordion, organ and percussion; Gary Siperko on electric guitar, acoustic guitar, slide guitar, 12-string guitar, B-bender guitar, baritone guitar and mandolin; Fuller Condon on upright bass and backing vocals; and Preston Corn on drums, percussion, mandolin and backing vocals.

Though most of the songs on this album are originals, the album opens with a seriously cool rendition of “Rawhide.” I think the first time I ever heard this one was in The Blues Brothers. That’s a damn fine version too, but this one features Jello Biafra on vocals. So there. Of course, this is a song that Dead Kennedys also covered, so Jello Biafra is well-acquainted with it. This version is great fun, and has a bit of a goofy ending. Then we get into the original material, beginning with “Tickle Yore Innards.” And it should be clear from the title that this band does not take itself too seriously. This track features some wonderful work on fiddle. Former band member Morgan Jahnig joins on vocals, along with special guests Stanley Walker and Bob Prather. That’s followed by “They Won’t Let Me Forget (All The Things I Can’t Recall),” another playful title. This is a delightful country number told from the perspective of a guy who got drunk and did some questionable things, things of dubious legality. “They said I punched some cop in the face and made him fall.” But we soon learn why: “Well, I’ll take their word that I might have had one too many/After all, there’s about three days of missing time/But I’d just like to see if they’d do any better/If the love of their life told ‘em she was living a lie.” This track features some nice work on harmonica.

“Godforsaken Town” is one of those typical country songs about pentagrams, meth labs and cock fight clubs. Didn’t we all grow up in towns like the one described here? Sure felt like it at times, anyway. “The deputy just passed me by, but now he’s a-turning around/Oh, get me out of this godforsaken town.” Jim Caugill joins the band on trumpet for this one, and Patrick Carrico plays guitar. I also like the accordion here. That’s followed by “U-Can-B-A-Star,” which is a rockin’ and hoppin’ number along the lines of “Johnny B. Goode,” featuring some good work on guitar and keys. And, yeah, I have to mention the title. I know it’s done for humor, so I can deal with it, but in general I think using the letter “U” in place of the word “You” should be punished by twenty lashes with a strip of barbed wire.

“Port Arthur Boys” is a total delight. I love that jazzy vibe. This track features some great stuff on strings, and some completely fun work on keys. In addition, Ted Borodofsky sits in on clarinet for this one, adding some fantastic touches. I also love the vocal work here. “Well, those New York City cats/Just found out where it’s at/With a new kind of noise/Jump and jive was their style/But mile after mile/They’ll be western swinging new Port Arthur boys.” This is one of my personal favorites. It comes to a rather sudden conclusion. That’s followed by another fun tune, “Secret Mountain.” There is a joyful sound to this song. Former members Mark Robertson, Rod Hamdallah and Brett Whitacre return on upright bass, electric guitar and drums respectively for this track. The whole vibe of this song is so cheerful that at first I wasn’t paying attention to the lyrics. But suddenly a line caught my ear: “The entire family was found dead.” Talk about contrast. I love it, and I love this song. And then I dig that pedal steel work on “I Told You So.” “Well, I ain’t afraid to say when you’re wrong/And to point out when I’m right.”

The album’s second and final cover is “I Don’t Remember Loving You,” a title that I adore. This song fits so well among the original songs on this album, with lines like “Well, I don’t remember loving you/You might talk to my doctor/He drops by each day at two/Well, I get a funny feeling when I look into your eyes” and “You say I quit my job and then I drunk myself insane/You said that I ran down the highway screaming out your name/Well, that’s not the sort of thing I would do.” Ah yes, sometimes a woman can drive a man insane. This song was written by Harlan Howard and Bobby Braddock, and originally recorded by John Conlee. That’s followed by another humorous song, “Punk Rock Retirement Plan,” which in a way is about growing up, I suppose, about giving up punk and moving into country music, which of course is perfect for a country album released on Jello Biafra’s label. “He likes to square dance instead of slam dance.” I enjoy both punk and country, but hate both of those dances. This song shares a somewhat common theme with “Port Arthur Boys.” Then we get “Triple-Timer,” a fast-paced country number about a less-than-faithful woman, featuring some excellent work on guitar. Special guest Jack Martin plays dobro on this one. Things then conclude with “Farewell Ye Rovin’ Eyed Girls,” the song that gives this wonderful album its title. Actually, it sounds more like he’s singing “cockadoodle adieu.” This track is a waltz, of sorts, and has a sweet vibe, a perfect ending to this completely enjoyable album.

CD Track List

  1. Rawhide
  2. Tickle Yore Innards
  3. They Won’t Let Me Forget (All The Things I Can’t Recall)
  4. Godforsaken Town
  5. U-Can-B-A-Star
  6. Port Arthur Boys
  7. Secret Mountain
  8. I Told You So
  9. I Don’t Remember Loving You
  10. Punk Rock Retirement Plan
  11. Triple-Timer
  12. Farewell Ye Rovin’ Eyed Girls

Cockadoodledeux was released on November 5, 2021 on Alternative Tentacles Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment