Monday, February 21, 2022

Jaco: “Trace” (2021) CD Review

Jaco is Jake Waitzman, a singer, songwriter and musician based in Birmingham and known for his work in the band Vulture Whale (where he plays drums). He released his first solo album, You Know, in the summer of 2019, and followed that with Dose in the autumn of 2020. His latest solo release, Trace, features all original material. It is largely a solo effort, with Jaco getting help from just fellow Vulture Whale member Lester Nuby III. The two also co-produced the album.

The album kicks off with “I Blow My Mind,” a cool rock song with a psychedelic element. And from its title you might guess it will contain some odd and playful lyrics. And you’d certainly be right. Here is a taste: “Baby, it’s not at all what you think/You know she’s crazy/I flushed it all down the sink/The place is stately/You’re finding everything you need/Just thank me greatly/As long as I’m here to please/I know my lines.” That’s followed by “The Byzantine,” a solid rock song with some damn good lyrics, such as these lines: “It’s understood/The rot under the hood/Will reveal itself/Just got to give it time/I know I’ve lived some other life/I’ve got another’s time on my mind.” I think a lot of us feel that way, and there is a desire to escape to another time, though perhaps not to the Byzantine Empire, particularly as there were no record players then. There is a good sense of fun to this music, heard, for example, in the weird echo of the word “fly” in the lines “Bend the forces and the lights/Enough to make us fly.”

“Control Me” is a catchy number that grabs us right from the start. And again, it features some intriguing lyrics. “Say it louder, now you’re clearing my throat/Roll me over off the back of your boat/Now you found out the keys are gone/Going lower ‘til you’re sinking in place/Breathing water, but it’s better to taste/I can tread ‘til your drowning’s done.” What a vivid scene. This is one of my personal favorites, and it’s a song that makes me want to dig deeper into this artist’s catalogue. Then the next track’s opening line, “Where have I seen that familiar disguise before,” is striking. I love the playing with expectations like that, for of course we expect him to sing of a familiar face, so the word “disguise” comes as a surprise, and immediately has us listening more closely. That’s followed by “Wanna Get High,” another strong rock song with a good, prominent beat and a somewhat raw feel to the guitar work. The chorus then has a catchy groove. I dig that rhythm, particularly that bass line. “And I wanna get high/When they go low/If it makes you cry/Then let your tears flow/I don’t have to decide.”

Then “21st Century TV” gets off to an odd start, with some soft work on guitar. But when it kicks in, it has more of a hard rock vibe, particularly the work on guitar, and something of a punk edge to the vocal delivery. “Put on the channel with the fire/A line in the sand for my desire/Now I’m coming over to please you/So what if anybody sees me/21st century TV/Is on.” That’s followed by “A Trace,” another track to feature an intriguing opening line: “You wave your knife around so bravely.” “Play Dead” is a rather happy-sounding song with more of a pop feel. Check out these lyrics: “You’ll come from nowhere/Find my hands are in the jar/Without the money/And my head between the bars/So I play dead/And you can roll me over and over again.” I also like these lines: “There’s no outrunning/When my wheels are going numb.”

“John Ponderosa” is totally enjoyable from its opening, with a groove and vibe that might get you dancing. And check out these interesting lyrics: “Child in the poster, he’ll wave you over/We’re turning for the door to find a way out/On a limb/One of them must have saved him/There’s no way that he could‘ve made it out/It’s kinda late to allay them/And I don’t think he’s really that devout.” This is another of my personal favorites. The album concludes with a catchy pop rock song, “Wanna Feel Sad,” another of the album’s highlights. Here is a taste of the lyrics: “Just try to get some sleep tonight/And everything you’ll see will work out/There’ll come a day we’ll set it right/Stop waiting in the wings and we’ll fly/The sea was rough/And you were scared/The time was tough/But you gave up/So you wanna feel sad/And only blue can do.”

CD Track List

  1. I Blow My Mind
  2. The Byzantine
  3. Control Me
  4. Settling
  5. Wanna Get High
  6. 21st Century TV
  7. A Trace
  8. Play Dead
  9. John Ponderosa
  10. Wanna Feel Sad

Trace was released on December 3, 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment