Thursday, February 3, 2022

Massy Ferguson: “Joe’s Meat & Grocery” (2022) CD Review

Massy Ferguson is a band based in Seattle, mixing rock and country elements in their energetic original material. The band is made up of Ethan Anderson on vocals, bass and flute; Adam Monda on guitar, vocals and harmonica; Fred Slater on keyboards; and Dave Goedde on drums. They’ve been around for approximately fifteen years, and have put out half a dozen albums in that time. On the band’s new album, Joe’s Meat & Grocery, they are joined by Steve Gale on drums and percussion; Darren Loucas on dobro; Iain Sloan on pedal steel; Ken Stringfellow on vocals, guitar, percussion and keyboards; and Kelly Van Camp on harmonica. This album features mostly original material. And if the cover’s artwork looks familiar to you, it is because it is quite similar to the cover for Violent Femmes’ Why Do Birds Sing? (though the music here is certainly different).

The album begins with “Miles Away,” a strong song with a vibrant rock vibe. Check out these lines, which open the song: “Yeah, some folks say it’s lying/As they turn the other cheek/But you can’t expect greatness/When the leadership is cheap/You take what you’re owed/And you give what you can spare/Just be honest with yourself/And the rest just might be fair.” Those lines certainly speak to us in these uncertain times. The song kicks in immediately after those lines, becoming an excellent driving song. And I love that harmonica work in the second half. That’s followed by “Save What Couldn’t Be Saved.” These days it feels like a lot of folks are struggling, a lot of folks are angry, and so the troubled characters at the center of the story of this song will likely speak to a wide audience. “It was his drinking and the fits of rage/Trying to save what couldn’t be saved/Trying to sleep in the bed that he made/Already one foot in the grave.”

“Fire Of Life” has a hopeful vibe as it starts with these lines: “I’ve got the fire of life/I’ve got the guiding light/And I know I’ll stop thinking that you were right/‘Cause I don’t need your advice.” Then nearly a minute in, it takes off, picking up the pace. Something about this song reminds me of Uncle Tupelo. Certainly good company. Then “I Don’t Know Why” has a somewhat sadder tone at its start, and its opening line grabs me: “I don’t know why I am always making everything so hard.” Yeah, these guys are adept at crafting opening lines that are engaging. This song, like the previous track, soon kicks in. As it goes on, this song continues to build, becoming more of a rock song halfway through. The repeated phrase is “I don’t know why,” which is perfect in these strange times. “Nothing ever seems to go right.” “Backspin” also has a rock energy, with a strong, pounding beat.

“Off To See Rose” has more of a folk and country vibe at its core. “Watching crowds of people as they pass/Sitting here barefoot in the grass/So I go off to see Rose.” I love this track’s ending. And it leads straight into “Sister Roll Up,” which has a raw, haunting vibe and a certain power, and features some great work on harmonica. “The water is rising.” Then “Leave If You Want To” has a great country rock sound, and a lot of energy. “I don’t see why the things I say, like ‘Good luck,’ don’t feel right/You know that you won’t make it all that far.” Then a strong country current runs through “Off My Mind,” a song that features some nice work on pedal steel. That’s followed by “The Road Ahead,” which is a good song despite its use of that weak “self”/“shelf” rhyme. “The road ahead/It’s deep, it winds, it’s caught up in the wild life.”  Then “The Hard Six” has a totally catchy and cool rhythm. I seriously dig that bass line. This track features more great energy. The album concludes with “You Don’t Bother Me.” Its opening lines are ones I assume everyone can relate to: “We drink a lot/More than we should.” We started drinking heavily in 2016, didn’t we? And the pandemic certainly hasn’t helped things. This is one of my personal favorite tracks, a mellower number. “I’ll follow you down to hell and back again/Because you don’t bother me at all.”

CD Track List

  1. Miles Away
  2. Save What Couldn’t Be Saved
  3. Fire Of Life
  4. I Don’t Know Why
  5. Backspin
  6. Off To See Rose
  7. Sister Roll Up
  8. Leave If You Want To
  9. Off My Mind
  10. The Road Ahead
  11. The Hard Six
  12. You Don’t Bother Me

Joe’s Meat & Grocery is scheduled to be released on February 4, 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment