Monday, May 28, 2018

Notes From The 2018 Simi Valley Cajun & Blues Music Festival, Day Two

Eddie Money
After catching the Dave Alvin & Jimmie Dale Gilmore concert in North Hollywood, I raced back out to Simi Valley for the second day of the Simi Valley Cajun & Blues Music Festival. I knew I was going to miss some good artists, but would get there in time to catch Lost Bayou Ramblers, as well as Eddie Money, who was the headliner at the blues stage. As I pulled into the lot, while the guard looked for my name on his many lists, I could hear The Chamber Brothers playing “Time Has Come Today.” It took a while, but my name was finally located, and I drove in to park. Fortunately, The Chambers Brothers did such a deliciously long version of the song that I was able to park, walk in, and get to the front of the stage to snap some photos while they were still playing it. What I caught of the song was excellent, and I knew the band must have put on a really good show. I was totally energized just from the few minutes that I was able to see.

After a couple of beers, I was ready for the next band, Lost Bayou Ramblers. They are from Louisiana, and had performed on the Cajun stage Saturday, but at that point I was seeing The Wild Magnolias on the blues stage. It’s difficult sometimes to plan your schedule at this festival, because you’re bound to miss at least a couple of good sets. This year, however, I managed to see basically everything that I wanted to, thanks to bands like Lost Bayou Ramblers performing both days. The microphone stand came apart during their first song, leading to some good jamming while it was being repaired, and immediately you got the sense that this was a fun band, with a whole lot of energy. And I love to see a band that includes fiddle and accordion totally rock the way these guys did. They got the audience dancing. At one point, they even had some folks waltzing. It was that kind of crowd, you know? Good people.

It seemed more crowded on Sunday than it was on Saturday – both out front and backstage. And it turned out that was at least partly due to Eddie Money being the headliner. Folks were excited to see him, though of course he’s not really a blues artist, not by any stretch of the imagination. I have his early material on vinyl, but guess I didn’t know all that much about him, because when he arrived backstage with a saxophone, I was caught by surprise. I didn’t know he played sax. I had also forgotten just how many hits the guy had recorded. He opened his set with “Baby Hold On,” a song from his 1977 debut LP, and followed that with “No Control,” on which he played harmonica. After that, he talked a bit about his television program. Apparently, he has his own so-called “reality” show, which I knew nothing about. He joked, “I wish they’d shot it ten years ago and ten pounds ago.” The band then played a song called “Tonight” without him. That was followed by “We Should Be Sleeping.”

Then Eddie Money brought out his saxophone for “Wanna Be A Rock And Roll Star,” a song from his first album. (I just pulled that record off my shelf, and – sure enough – it mentions that he plays saxophone on it, so I guess I did know that and just forgot. Ah, my memory isn’t perfect.) He got the audience singing along, shouting out “Star.” He followed that with “Endless Nights.” His energy was impressive. By the way, he wore a Dodgers shirt, with his name on the back, with the number “00.” As it was Memorial Day weekend, his “One More Soldier Coming Home” fit perfectly. On the line “We salute you,” he actually offered a salute. He followed that with “Walk On Water.” He then asked the crowd if they wanted to go back to the 1980s. Some people near me screamed, “I wanna go back!” And, indeed, Eddie Money then did “I Wanna Go Back,” playing saxophone on it.

He wrapped up his set with three of his most popular songs – “Take Me Home Tonight,” “Think I’m In Love” and “Two Tickets To Paradise.” When he started “Take Me Home Tonight,” a woman near me exclaimed, “I know this song!” The audience sang along with that one. Before beginning “Two Tickets To Paradise,” he dedicated it to his wife, joking that he might get lucky that night. He also said something about the crowd being on television, so apparently someone was filming his set for that “reality” show. The encore was “Shakin’” and he finished just before 6 p.m.

As always, a portion of the crowd left after the headliner. But those who stayed were treated to an excellent set by 3 Sista Blues, which is a group led by three female vocalists – Kelly Zirbes (of Kelly’s Lot), Deb Ryder and Shari Puorto. The set consisted of original material, with each of them singing lead on a few songs, while the others provided backing vocals. Yes, we were back to the blues, with this group delivering some good, thumping, rocking blues numbers. The band backing them was great, and included Perry Robertson (from Kelly’s Lot) on guitar. And at one point, there was the welcome addition of trumpet (Shari introduced the trumpet player as being her boyfriend). The last couple of numbers then featured all three vocalists. Their set ended at 7:17 p.m. What an excellent conclusion to a fantastic weekend of music.

Here are some photos from the day:

The Chambers Brothers
The Chambers Brothers
The Chambers Brothers
Lost Bayou Ramblers
Lost Bayou Ramblers
Lost Bayou Ramblers
Eddie Money
Eddie Money
Eddie Money
3 Sista Blues
3 Sista Blues
3 Sista Blues
The Simi Valley Cajun & Blues Music Festival is an annual event, and is located at 5005 Los Angeles Ave. in Simi Valley, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment