Monday, June 29, 2020

TJ George: “Fragmented Soul Vol. 2” (2020) CD Review

In 2015, singer and songwriter TJ George released Fragmented Soul Vol. 1, a title that promised a follow-up. Now he is making good on that promise, with the release of Fragmented Soul Vol. 2, a six-song EP featuring all original material. TJ George, who is based in Columbus, Ohio, plays keyboards on this release. Joining him are Ric Hordinski on guitar, Byron House on bass, Joshua Seurkamp on drums, and Shiloh Hawkins on backing vocals.

This CD opens with “Can’t Move Fast Enough,” a good pop song that has a gentle and warm feel, with a vocal delivery that is light but yet touching and soulful. “I need to kiss your face/And do whatever it takes/To get that rush/Can’t move fast enough.” And near the beginning, the line “As I paint these trees on my canvas of life” might make you think of Bob Ross, with his happy little trees. Kenny White plays keys on this track. That’s followed by “Clayton Jones Is Gonna Be Big,” which has more of a folk and country vibe, particularly in the guitar work. I love the backing vocals by Shiloh Hawkins, and the way her voice interacts with TJ George’s lead vocals. “We are gold/If gold means getting into a Starbucks bathroom/I’m not old/But I’m not young enough to make the same mistakes.” Yeah, there is a humorous touch to this one.

“Skin” is a mellower, slower tune, a love song of sorts, about the physical aspect of a relationship, and how those needs persist even when other things end. “But I need skin/Pressing my body up against your skin/I need skin/Wanting to fall in love with you again/And again and again.” This track features some nice work on both keys and guitar. That’s followed by “Gonna Be Good,” the lyrics at first delivered almost as spoken word with an odd intensity that you end up questioning. Something about that delivery doesn’t seem quite right. It is about seeking that rush from a needle in the arm, looking for oblivion. Then when he begins to sing, he tells us “It’s going to be good, it’s going to be real good.” Interestingly, it is then that the intensity and his desire are more believable. And the guitar matches it at times, which is nice.

“Cookie Jar” has a good groove, and I like the work on electric guitar, which at times is kind of bluesy, even taking on a jazzy quality at moments. “Feels like I’m falling/And I can’t steady myself/It feels like lava flowing uncontrollably/To fill in your emptiness/How far are we going/And is there a way to bliss/The heart has nothing to do with what we need from this.” The EP concludes with “Call Of The Wild,” which has a darker vibe from the start. “It’s too late to change my stripes, this is who I am/This is where the story begins, or is it where it ends/I don’t want to break your heart, but you know that I might.” This song creates an interesting character, someone who offers excuses for questionable behavior before he’s even done it. That leads us to wonder just who is prepared to be with that person, to take that risk? “I’m the hunter, and you’re the prey.” It feels like a pose, the way he is bragging. Is it an attempt to seem sinister? For it seems he certainly wants to be thought of as sexy and exciting, even if he’s not. It’s an intriguing song.

CD Track List
  1. Can’t Move Fast Enough
  2. Clayton Jones Is Gonna Be Big
  3. Skin
  4. Gonna Be Good
  5. Cookie Jar
  6. Call Of The Wild
Fragmented Soul Vol. 2 was released on June 26, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment