Just before St. Patrick's Day, these compilations of Irish folk songs start popping up everywhere. This one has some interesting versions of popular Irish songs, and a couple of excellent tracks that make it worth purchasing.
"Whiskey In The Jar"
This compilation opens with a very mellow and sad-sounding version of "Whiskey In The Jar." It's slow and pretty. This song has many more verses than are presented here. All of the verses about the narrator's brother are missing. This version is by The Irish Ceili Band.
The second track is an instrumental medley of "Tarbottin," "The Longford Collector" and "The Sailor's Bonnet." It has a great fiddle. This is the music that will get folks dancing at the pubs on St. Patrick's Day.
"Crooked Jack" is a more serious song about working down in a hole.
"If You're Irish" is an instrumental possibly designed to get the Irish out marching. It doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the songs on this album.
"Parting Glass/The Brown Gate/The Yellow Bonnet" is an excellent medley of instrumentals.
"Lannigan's Ball" is so wonderful and so much fun, and this version - by Waxies Dargle - is perhaps the best ever recorded. Certainly, it's among the best. Often bands will leave out the chorus, or at least the "I stepped out" part. This version has it all, and great male and female vocals. And it ends with a sped-up instrumental section that is excellent. This CD is worth owning just for this track alone.
"I'm A Rover"
How many Irish songs contain the word "rover" in the title? Well, no matter. This is one of them, and it's a fun song. "I'm a rover, seldom sober." That's the way to be.
"Rocky Road To Dublin"
This song is incredible. It's always impressive hearing someone who can actually sing this song. It must be exhausting. There is barely time to breathe. Try singing along. This version is fantastic.
CD Track List
- Whiskey In The Jar - The Irish Ceili Band
- Tarbottin/The Longford Collector/The Sailor's Bonnet - Waxies Dargle
- Crooked Jack - The Blarney Lads
- Gypsy Rover - The Blarney Lads
- If You're Irish - The Irish Ceili Band
- Mountain Dew - The Blarney Lads
- Parting Glass/The Brown Gate/The Yellow Bonnet - Waxies Dargle
- Lannigan's Ball - Waxies Dargle
- I'm A Rover - The Blarney Lads
- Rocky Road To Dublin - Waxies Dargle
- Quare Bungle Rye - The Blarney Lads
- Ramblin' Irishman - The Irish Ceili Band