Tuesday, June 11, 2024

The dB’s: “Stands For Decibels” (1981/2024) CD Review

The dB’s released their first album, Stands For Decibels, in early 1981. It’s a fantastic power pop album by an incredible group of musicians: Chris Stamey, Peter Holsapple, Gene Holder and Will Rigby. This disc introduced a large audience to the partnership of Chris Stamey and Peter Holsapple, a partnership which has extended over the course of multiple decades and resulted in many projects and albums. It didn’t start with this album. In fact, it started when they were in elementary school, and included the Rittenhouse Square self-titled record, which came out nearly a decade before Stands For Decibels. And then there was Little Diesel, which included Will Rigby as well as Stamey and Holsapple. But this first dB’s album does mark the beginning of their popularity, and it’s an album people can return to again and again. So it is perfect that it is now getting a new release, and will be available on vinyl. Apparently this is the first official U.S. vinyl release, which is completely insane. And it looks like there is at least one variation, with a splatter color vinyl option. The CD version has a bonus track, “Judy,” which has been included on earlier re-issues.

Something about this music makes me ridiculously happy. The album’s first song, “Black And White,” has a certain joy to the music, even including some hand claps. “I, I never would hurt you/And even if I did, you/You never would tell me/Oh, we are finished/As of a long time ago.” And when he sings “I stopped,” the music does halt for a moment. It’s a treat to revisit this album, and the youthful energy of the music is fantastic. I love the jam at the end, especially the guitar work. “Love, love is the answer/To no question/But thanks for the suggestion.” This is a song that Peter Holsapple and Chris Stamey revisited on Our Back Pages. That’s followed by “Dynamite,” which Holsapple and Stamey also revisited on Our Back Pages. This song was written by all four band members. There is a distinctive style to the vocal approach of this one, stretching out words and syllables. “In your eyes/Tight, skin tight/Dress in stripes/Caress in spite.” This one is oddly catchy, and I especially dig the bass work.

“She’s Not Worried” is another song that Holsapple and Stamey revisited on Our Back Pages. It was written by Chris Stamey. Every time I listen to this song, I’m struck by its opening lines: “She’s not bothered by/The foolish way I lead my life/Because she knows it’ll be over soon.” I love those lines. This song makes me smile, but there are times when I’m saddened by it too. Funny how certain songs can have that sort of effect, don’t you think? There are some 1960s psychedelic touches to the music. That’s followed by “The Fight.” Peter Holsapple wrote this one, and it contains some playful lyrics, like these lines at the start: “Oh well, I woke up in bed/It was the middle of the night/And we were still involved/In a great big fight.” There is something of a punk vibe to the delivery of the verses. Plus this song has a delicious rhythm. This is one of my personal favorites.

“Espionage” is one of the most interesting songs on the album. “Subterfuge/Gettin’ real gone real quick’s a bore/Without shoes/One or two nights on a different floor.” The James Bond movies would have a totally different vibe if this song were used to set the tone. I like the play with language on the line “Say you had a way with words that got away with you.” This song was written by Chris Stamey, as was the one that follows it, “Tearjerkin’.” This is such a cool song, from the moment that great bass line is established near the beginning. I love that moment when it kicks in. “You can take a photograph/Take another one of those/You can take off your clothes/Take the covers off your bed/But don’t take back what you said.” A 1960s influence is heard here too. The drum work on this track is particularly good. At the very end, it sounds like the guitar purrs.

The rhythm of “Cycles Per Second” excites me right from the start. Seriously, this track features some great stuff on drums, and I especially love that bass work. Five years ago, I saw Peter Holsapple and Chris Stamey play an acoustic version of this song, which worked well, something of a surprise. But I still love this original version. That short instrumental section in the middle is fantastic. This track is another of my favorites from this album. It was written by Chris Stamey. It’s followed by “Bad Reputation,” a good rock song written by Peter Holsapple. This one, somehow more than the others, takes me back to my childhood. Partly it’s the sound, partly the lyrics, about a “New girl in school” who looks “Cool enough to cool you down/Like a summer vacation.” It just sounds like youth in the early 1980s, and I love that part on keys. When I saw Peter Holsapple and Chris Stamey in 2019 at The Federal Bar (I miss that place), they played “Big Brown Eyes” right after “Cycles Per Second.” It was a song that got the crowd particularly excited. There is such a good feel to it. “You give me something to think about/I’ll give you something to live without.” It was written by Peter Holsapple. Holsapple and Stamey also included this song on Our Back Pages.

“I’m In Love” grabs me with that work on drums at the beginning. There is a sense of urgency to this one. “I’ve got, I’ve got no idea/Just how far to press my luck.” It was written by Chris Stamey. The band changes gears with “Moving In Your Sleep,” a softer number written by Peter Holsapple. It grows in power, and is kind of haunting, mesmerizing, and features some wonderful moments on guitar. This is the track that concluded the original release of this album. This disc then concludes with the bonus track, “Judy,” which is a love song, at least until things went wrong. “I didn’t know what I was looking for ‘til I lost you” is an especially good line. This track also features some excellent work on guitar.

CD Track List

  1. Black And White
  2. Dynamite
  3. She’s Not Worried
  4. The Fight
  5. Espionage
  6. Tearjerkin’
  7. Cycles Per Second
  8. Bad Reputation
  9. Big Brown Eyes
  10. I’m In Love
  11. Moving In Your Sleep
  12. Judy

This special re-issue of Stands For Decibels is scheduled to be released on June 14, 2024 on Propeller Sound Recordings.

No comments:

Post a Comment