Saturday, August 13, 2022

Fireside Collective: “Across The Divide” (2022) CD Review

Fireside Collective is a bluegrass group based in Asheville, North Carolina, but one that is in no way restrained by the bluegrass label, letting each song unfold in its own particular way, and finding inspiration from other musical realms. The idea of crossing boundaries is expressed in the title of the band’s new album, Across The Divide. This new release features all original material, with most of the band members contributing songs. It follows the group’s 2020 release, Elements. The band is made up of Joe Cicero on acoustic guitar and vocals, Alex Genova on banjo and vocals, Jesse Iaquinto on mandolin and vocals, Tommy Maher on dobro and vocals, and Carson White on upright bass and vocals.

In the album’s opening track, “When You Fall,” Fireside Collective sings a couple of lines that I think just about anyone would love to hear: “You just call on me, darling/And I’ll catch you when you fall.” Aren’t we all looking for that sense of safety, particularly in these uncertain days? Don’t we all wish to know that someone cares enough about our well-being to be there in our weakest moments? Those lines are only a part of this song’s appeal. There is also an excellent instrumental section in the middle of the track. That’s followed by “Let It Ride,” a cool song, seemingly powered by its catchy groove. How can you not enjoy that bass line? Am I crazy, or does this song remind you just a bit of “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window”?  When I first woke up, started looking for answers/In the bottom of a bottle in the dark of the night.” This track features a delightful extended instrumental section at the end. Both of these first two songs were written by Jesse Iaquinto.

Certainly a song titled “Blue Is My Condition” is going to appeal to a lot of folks. It seems that most people are struggling in one way or another. And these days, if you aren’t feeling anxious, then you probably aren’t paying attention. Still, often we think people don’t want to hear about our troubles. Here are the track’s opening lines: “I’m all right, I’m okay/At least that’s what I ought to say/But I don’t feel myself today/Forgive my disposition.” And check out these lines: “Well, the pain is real, and I can’t seem to shake it/I try to smile, but I just can’t fake it.” Well, that wild and exciting instrumental section ought to help in that regard. Nothing like a good bluegrass jam to raise our spirits. If this music doesn’t help, then you are in even more trouble than you thought. This song was written by Tommy Maher and Jon Weisberger. Weisberger also produced the album. “Blue Is My Condition” is followed by “I’m Givin’ In.” The line that drew me into this song is “In my haste and all my hurry, did I fail to read your mind.” This band is known for its harmonies, and this track in particular features some wonderful blending of voices.

“Not Today” is a slower gem combining country and bluegrass sounds, and featuring some excellent vocal work. “Killing the time, trying not to feel worse/Not today, not today, not today.” This song gives the album its title in the lines “How’d she end up out here across the divide/She said it’s getting kind of late, we’d better go for a ride.” This one was written by Joe Cicero, and is one of my favorites. Jesse Iaquinto plays piano on this track. Then “House Into A Home” has that familiar bluegrass sound, which somehow is always appealing. And it touches upon some of those traditional images of bluegrass and folk music, opening with the phrase “Nestled in the mountains.” Interestingly, this one also contains the phrase “across the great divide” in the lines “We’ve weathered winds and wandered far across the great divide/But now I’m coming home.” The instrumental section of this track is surprising and rather pretty as it begins, then takes on that familiar vibe. That’s followed by a good instrumental track titled “Code Switch,” which has a more contemplative vibe at moments, and features some excellent playing, particularly on banjo. It was written by Alex Genova.

In “And The Rain Came Down,” they sing, “Dreaming of a better day beyond the rain/Oh, but I can’t seem to find/A place that I can hide/From the falling water washing over me.” Good lyrics, right? I think most of us can relate. Aren’t we dreaming of a better day, but unable to get away from the troubles of the current days? This song provides yet another example of their vocal talents, and includes a beautiful section toward the end. This one was written by Jesse Iaquinto. That’s followed by “Running Wild Again,” written by Joe Cicero. “Here I sit again/Staring down another double of gin.” This track turns inward and contains some sweet vocal work. Then “Your Song Goes On” is another of the disc’s highlights, featuring some excellent playing and a delicious groove. It was written by Tommy Maher. The album concludes with “Rainbow In The Dark,” written by Alex Genova, and containing some more fantastic playing. “The two of us are nowhere, floating in the black/Won’t last forever, but we’re not turning back/We’ve done it all before, we’ll do it all again.”

CD Track List

  1. When You Fall
  2. Let It Ride
  3. Blue Is My Condition
  4. I’m Givin’ In
  5. Not Today
  6. House Into A Home
  7. Code Switch
  8. And The Rain Came Down
  9. Running Wild Again
  10. Your Song Goes On
  11. Rainbow In The Dark

Across The Divide was released on August 5, 2022 through Mountain Home Music Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment