Wednesday, August 24, 2022

The Claudettes: “Go Out!” (2022) CD Review

There is nothing subtle or ambiguous about the message in the title of the new album from The Claudettes, Go Out! It is simply and directly stated, and there is even an exclamation point. And while the pandemic is certainly not over (my uncle ended up in the hospital this week from the coronavirus, and I just tested positive this morning), it is an appealing message to many at this point. I am still nowhere close to the number of concerts I would attend in an average pre-pandemic year, but I have been making a point to go see live music more (though largely at outdoor venues). To get out, to enjoy myself. Because, let’s face it, reality has kind of sucked for several years now. Well, The Claudettes are here to help. This is a band that I got turned onto back in 2018 when Dance Scandal At The Gymnasium! was released (another album with an exclamation point in its title). That album took me on a wild ride, and ended up being one of my favorite releases of that year. That was followed in 2020 by another excellent release, High Times In The Dark. This new release features all original material, written by Brian Berkowitz (who is also known as Johnny Iguana). The band is made up of Berit Ulseth on vocals; Zach Verdoorn on bass, guitar and vocals; Johnny Iguana on piano, keyboards, and vocals; and Michael Caskey on drums and percussion. There are some guests joining them on one of this album’s tracks.

The album opens with “A Lovely View,” an oddly sweet and endearing song. One thing that is particularly remarkable about this band is the songwriting. Their songs aren’t quite like those of any other band. Check out these lyrics, at the beginning of the track: “I walked into your store/I watched you folding clothes until/I couldn’t take it anymore/Can’t you come and fold your clothes in my room/Can’t you come and fold your clothes in my room.” There is something dreamlike in Berit Ulseth’s vocal delivery. The song then becomes more serious in its second half: “You were right on course/I was passing through.” Turns out this track is an earnest, and gorgeous, love song, with her delivering a wonderful proposal. “Won’t you come over and live your life in my room/My place is small, but there’s a lovely view.” And it builds in power as well as it reaches its climax, no longer feeling like a whimsical invitation, but a life-changing moment. This is a fantastic song. That’s followed by “Park Bench,” a delightful pop number. Probably most people can appreciate this line: “And I’m not even close to getting what I desire.” This song features a string section, with an arrangement by Jim Cooper. Nora Barton is on cello, while Andra Kulans is on both viola and violin. Anthony Gravino plays acoustic guitar on this track. This one has a positive sound. “And there’s love all around me/And there’s love all around me/Some days.”

“The American Sky” opens with the line “He loves the sound of his voice,” which clearly sets up a certain character we are all familiar with. But this band is not satisfied with just that, and these guys add the surprising modifier “in spring.” And now we are in the territory that this band has created and continues to populate so well. This song also features some finger snaps. “Up in the sky, oh so beautiful,” Berit sings. And this song itself has its own beauty. Then “Dozing In The Crypt” comes on strong, with a totally different vibe from the previous track, and features some great stuff on piano. “And then he gave us all the slip/And now he’s dozing in the crypt/Trying to keep from getting wet/As it goes drip, drip, drip/But he’s not licked yet.” Yeah, it’s a cool tune. There is some great stuff on piano on “Time Won’t Take Our Times Away” too, getting looser toward the end during that great instrumental section. This one also has a sweet vibe, with a beautiful vocal performance. “But the memories are mine/And time/Time won’t take our times away/And loss/Loss can’t make me lose what I gained/From knowing you.” Then there is some gorgeous and enchanting work on piano and vocals as “The Waves” begins. This is an absolutely wonderful song, another of this album’s best. “The waves reflect the moonlight.” And as we listen, it’s not difficult to place ourselves there in the water, in the moonlight, in a strangely magical spot.

“There’s Too Much Affection In The World” is a delightfully quirky number, which you could probably guess from its title. Here is a taste of the lyrics: “I would like to love you/But who has the time/And I see what you are saying/But that’s a nice try/But there’s too much affection in this world.” There is a bit of a 1970s flavor to this one at times. That’s followed by another unusual song, “Exposure,” which goes in a very different direction. “Overstated/Overrated/Overripe/Overpriced/It’s over.” Then Berit comes in to sing, “Nobody knows ya/You need some exposure,” with the backing vocals chiming in, “People die from exposure.” Have I mentioned how much I love this band?  Everybody knows it’s over.” That in turn is followed by “Cowboy,” an adorable song about music and alcohol. I love the way it plays with the idea of quitting drinking or quitting music, where alcohol and music sort of swap places. “I just know that drinking is my calling/It’s what I was put on this earth to do/But music distorts my vision/Gives me unrealistic ambitions/And I’m tired of all the revisions.” Again, no one writes songs like this band. The album concludes with “The Show Must Go On (And Then The Show Must End).” “I can’t believe I got to do this with you/The days we had, and all the nights too/And all the while we knew/It wasn’t like we had no clue/We knew what was coming around the bend/The show must go on, and then the show must end.” It is all over much too soon, so we have to enjoy the time we have.

CD Track List

  1. A Lovely View
  2. Park Bench
  3. The American Sky
  4. Dozing In The Crypt
  5. Time Won’t Take Our Times Away
  6. The Waves
  7. There’s Too Much Affection In This World
  8. Exposure
  9. Cowboy
  10. The Show Must Go On (And Then The Show Must End)

Go Out! is scheduled to be released on October 14, 2022 through Forty Below Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment