Tuesday, May 3, 2022

The Slocan Ramblers: “Up The Hill And Through The Fog” (2022) CD Review

The title of the excellent new album from The Slocan Ramblers, Up The Hill And Through The Fog, feels like the direction we’ve all been going, doesn’t it? The last several years have been maddening in a variety of ways, and it seems like we’re struggling up a hill and can’t see the top because of some dark mist surrounding our every step. Well, bluegrass music might be just the thing to dispel the fog, and to give us that extra bit of energy to reach the top of the hill. If not music, then what? I can’t think of anything else these days that works. The Slocan Ramblers are based in Toronto, and made up of Darryl Poulsen on guitar and vocals; Adrian Gross on mandolin, mandola and vocals; and Frank Evans on banjo and vocals, with Charles James joining them on bass and vocals. This album features mostly original material, with all three members contributing songs.

The album opens with “I Don’t Know,” an unusual sort of love song. It is a mix of bluegrass and pop elements, and has a great sense of movement. Almost from its start, this song seems to drive forward. Here is a taste of the lyrics: “I couldn’t possibly ask for anything more/In these past few years/I hit the pavement and the beers/And it’s taken its toll on me/But you seem to keep me on track/Always scratching my back/Safe and warm from the storms at sea.” A lot of us can probably relate to this line: “I don’t know, I don’t know what she sees in me.” These lines also stand out for me: “I always thought it sounded good/To have a cabin in the woods/With only me to hear my thoughts and prayers/I’d write a novel through and through/And maybe an opera or two/And perform it for the fox and the bears.” When I’m in the city, a cabin in the woods sounds ideal. Then when I’m in the woods, I am eager to get back to civilization. This song was written by Frank Evans. It is followed by “You Said Goodbye,” which was written by Darryl Poulsen. This one is a more traditional-sounding bluegrass tune, a lively and fast-paced gem. “I wish I could turn back time/I’d go back in time when things were mighty fine/I wish I could turn back time.” Ah, but from this song’s vibe and pace, we get the sense he’s going to be okay. And that’s what we want for ourselves as well. There is some fantastic playing throughout this track, including a cool instrumental section before the end.

Things relax a bit then with “Won’t You Come Back Home,” a gentle, pretty song featuring some excellent vocal work. “If I could buy away the heartache/Wouldn't have a nickel to my name/All my pockets would be empty/But you'd be right back here again.” This one was written by Frank Evans. Then we get the album’s only cover, Tom Petty’s “A Mind With A Heart Of Its Own,” from his Full Moon Fever album. They playfully count off this one and then it kicks in with a great force. They do a really good job with it, turning in a fun and rocking rendition. That’s followed by “Snow Owl,” the album’s first instrumental track. This one was written by Adrian Gross. It has a rather cheerful, but also thoughtful sense about it. There is some excellent work from all the musicians, and I especially love the guitar work on this track. Then “Bill Fernie” feels like a traditional folk tale, though it is a new song written by Darryl Poulsen. There is a whole lot of good banjo playing on this track. And that work on mandolin stands out for me. I’ve said it before, but something about that instrument works to drive away worries and misery.

“Platform Four” has a darker, meaner sound at the start, like it is going to sneak up on us. After a minute or so, it begins to pick up, and once it does, there is no slowing it. This thing really takes off. It is a seriously cool instrumental track, written by Frank Evans. This one ends up being one of my favorites. I want to see them perform this one in concert. That’s followed by “Streetcar Lullaby,” yet another of the album’s highlights. This one was written by Adrian Gross and features some wonderful harmonizing. “You see/Through me/In this ever after/Like an old stern wheel run aground/The ship’s run ashore.” There is something beautifully sad about this song. The energy picks up again with “Bury My Troubles,” also written by Adrian Gross. Yes, a song titled “Bury My Troubles” seems able to do just that. Bury them, leave them far behind. This fast-paced, fun track should have you smiling immediately.

“Harefoot’s Retreat” is another lively instrumental tune, this one sounding like a great dance that we all want to take part in. That’s followed by “The River Roaming Song,” which has a sweet, gentle vibe. It’s a wonderful folk song to raise our spirits and remind us of how good life can be even as it is passing. This is something we need in these strange times. “Catch a glimpse in the night ‘fore the sun comes to rise/And the sky is painted blue/You can see the little bear in the sky dance high/As the seasons pass on through/But as long as you’re at home/And still forever I’m a-roaming/Well, I’m coming back home to you.” Both “Harefoot’s Retreat” and “The River Roaming Song” were written by Adrian Gross. The album wraps up with a lively tune titled “Bring Me Down Low,” written by Frank Evans. “Well, you tell me that you’re leaving/But you just don’t want to let go/You tell me that you’re grieving/Over what we had before/Then you bring me down low.” This track features some seriously impressive and joyful playing. It’s another song I want to see them perform live. Okay, yeah, I need to see this band in concert. This song fades out, and we get the sense they could jam on it for a while still. Hey, maybe they still are.

CD Track List

  1. I Don’t Know
  2. You Said Goodbye
  3. Won’t You Come Back Home
  4. A Mind With A Heart Of Its Own
  5. Snow Owl
  6. Bill Fernie
  7. Platform Four
  8. Streetcar Lullaby
  9. Bury My Troubles
  10. Harefoot’s Retreat
  11. The River Roaming Song
  12. Bring Me Down Low

Up The Hill And Through The Fog is scheduled to be released on June 10, 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment