Friday, April 22, 2022

The Monkees: “More Of The Monkees” (1967/2022) Vinyl Review

We all know the story of how the members of The Monkees, especially Mike Nesmith, really hated their second album, More Of The Monkees, which was rushed into production and was released while the band was out on tour, without even their knowledge. They were angry over the photo chosen for the album’s cover, which shows them wearing J.C. Penney clothes from what was supposed to be a promotional shoot. And they were even more upset about the album’s tracks, which they felt did not include their best performances. Certainly, the album is a bit uneven, and includes the only Monkees song that I don’t like (“The Day We Fall In Love”). But it also includes such excellent songs as “She,” “Mary, Mary” and “Sometime In The Morning.” This is also the first Monkees record I ever owned, and I’ve always had a soft spot for it. My mother surprised me by purchasing a copy at a used record store in Worcester called Al Bum’s (at the time, The Monkees catalogue was out of print, so used copies were all that was available). Hearing this record was how I learned that Monkees records even existed. Up to that point, I thought it was just a television series. In 1986, the album was re-issued, along with the rest of the band’s catalogue. And since then it has been re-issued a few more times, with bonus material. Well, now there is a new vinyl edition, released by Run Out Groove, and it’s a double album, the second record containing bonus tracks, many of which were previously unreleased. And the two records are presented in a beautiful translucent green vinyl. The release’s gatefold contains a lot of photographs, and there is also a liner notes booklet, written by Andrew Sandoval, who produced this reissue. This release follows Run Out Groove’s double LP colored vinyl edition of The Monkees’ self-titled debut album. I hope the rest of the Monkees albums will follow.

Side 1

The album opens with “She,” which is a total joy from the moment it begins. It takes me right back to the time when I was four years old and first heard this band. This song is certainly one of the record’s best, and it’s a fun one to dance to. That followed by a delightful Davy Jones song, “When Love Comes Knockin’ (At Your Door),” which was written by Neal Sedaka and Carol Bayer. “Mary, Mary” is another of the record’s highlights, this one written by Mike Nesmith, but sung by Micky Dolenz. And of course it’s another that is fun to dance to. It was always good to see them perform this one live.

“Hold On Girl” was one of my early favorites from this record. Davy does a great job with it, but it is that short instrumental section toward the end that I especially enjoy. That’s followed by “Your Auntie Grizelda,” which of course when I was a kid was my favorite song from the album. It is a lot of fun, and the only track to feature Peter Tork on lead vocals. It has that section where Peter adds all those silly sounds. I totally ate it up as a kid, and still love it as an adult. The first side concludes with one of the band’s big hits, “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone.” I love Micky’s delivery here. He is at his most biting as he offers lines like “But now you’re walking around like your front page news.” It makes total sense that this song was covered by groups like Sex Pistols and Minor Threat.

Side 2

The second side opens with “Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow),” another of the record’s best tracks, this one written by Neil Diamond and sung by Davy. This song still makes me ridiculously happy. I had my own little dance to this one when I was a kid. I love at the end when Davy whispers, “Darling, I love you.” There is good humor in that. Then we finally get to hear Mike sing on “The Kind Of Girl I Could Love,” the second of the album’s tracks written by him. He also delivers some wonderful stuff on steel guitar. Things then come to a grinding halt with “The Day We Fall In Love,” a song that never felt right. I disliked it as a child, and I’ve never really warmed to it. Davy delivers it as spoken word, which actually draws more attention to how poor the lyrics are. It’s like a dramatic reading of a terrible poem. However, I do kind of like the work on strings, especially at the end.

The best song of the album is “Sometime In The Morning,” a beautiful song written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King, and featuring a wonderful vocal performance by Micky. Seriously, Micky’s vocals are so damn good here. That’s followed by “Laugh,” and I am happy to admit that this is another of my personal favorites. It is just so ridiculously enjoyable. Davy is clearly having fun with it. “Laugh at the things that are wrong/If you think it’s this song/Then laugh.” I used to play this song over and over, and it is so fun to dance to. The second side concludes with one of the band’s biggest hits, “I’m A Believer,” written by Neil Diamond. The liner notes for this double LP get into this song a bit, about how Mike wanted to sing lead on it.

Side 3

Then we get into the bonus material. The third side begins with “Apples, Peaches, Bananas And Pears,” a song I first heard on the compilation Missing Links. The version here is a different mix, previously unreleased. Sung by Micky, this song is a playful little gem. That’s followed by another previously unreleased track, “Don’t Listen To Linda.” A different version was included as a bonus track on an earlier reissue of this album. The new mix is even better. It’s a delightful tune. “I’ll Be Back Up On My Feet” was one of my early favorites from The Monkees, in part because of the beat and in part because of the lyrics, which remain a joy to sing along to. “Maybe I will be a star, or maybe just a clown/Girl, I’ll never know until I try.” This version was previously included on Missing Links Volume 2.

Probably the best of the bonus track is “Of You,” which features an excellent vocal performance from Mike Nesmith. This version was included in the boxed set Music Box. It is still a mystery to me why this song was not chosen for one of the original releases back in the 1960s. Then Peter sings lead on this version of “I Don’t Think You Know Me” (some other versions feature Micky singing lead). This track was previously included on an earlier reissue of More Of The Monkees. “If you think my goals could be so trivial and small/Then I don’t think you know me at all.” That’s followed by the mono TV mix of “Valleri.” This is yet another song I’ve always loved. A different version of it would end up on The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees. The version here is the first recorded version. I love that guitar. This side then concludes with another strong song, “Words.” This mix was previously unreleased. I love this version. Okay, yes, I love every version of this song that I’ve heard. It is one of The Monkees’ best, no question about it. It is a powerful and cool tune. And check out that work on flute. This version has an unusual pause just before the end.

Side 4

The final side of this double LP opens with “Through The Looking Glass,” a totally catchy song that was included on Instant Replay. The version here was previously unreleased, though a different mix of this version was included on Missing Links Volume Three. “You call my name, then you run for protection/I reach out to hold you, but it’s just a reflection.” That’s followed by “I Never Thought It Peculiar,” another delightful Davy song, one that would end up on Changes. The version here is the mono TV mix. If you’re thinking, wait a minute, that song was never included in an episode of the show, well, in some of the re-runs, different songs were substituted for the original songs. I remember seeing an episode with “Midnight Train,” another song that was included on Changes. Anyway, both Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart, who wrote the song, provide backing vocals on this track, with Boyce also on acoustic guitar. But it is that brief, but great bluesy work on electric guitar that stands out. Boyce and Hart also wrote “Tear Drop City,” and provide backing vocals on it. This song would be included on Instant Replay, and also be released as a single. The version here is the 1966 mono mix, and it was previously included on another reissue of More Of The Monkees.

We are then treated to another version of “Hold On Girl,” a stereo mix of the song’s first recording that was previously unreleased. That’s followed by the first recording of “I’ll Spend My Life With You,” this stereo mix also previously unreleased. A different mix was included in the boxed set Listen To The Band. “The road is long, the road is rough/I do believe I’ve had enough.” Then we get the first recording of “Mr. Webster,” a song that would be included on Headquarters, the band’s next LP after More Of The Monkees. This mix was previously unreleased. This version has a more somber feel than the version released on Headquarters. I love the cello. The record concludes with the first recording of “(I Prithee) Do Not Ask For Love,” this mix previously unreleased. It features another strong vocal performance by Micky Dolenz. Other versions of this song feature Davy Jones and Peter Tork on lead vocals.

Record Track List

Side 1

  1. She
  2. When Love Comes Knockin’ (At Your Door)
  3. Mary, Mary
  4. Hold On Girl
  5. Your Auntie Grizelda
  6. (I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone

Side 2

  1. Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)
  2. The Kind Of Girl I Could Love
  3. The Day We Fall In Love
  4. Sometime In The Morning
  5. Laugh
  6. I’m A Believer

Side 3

  1. Apples, Peaches, Bananas And Pears
  2. Don’t Listen To Linda
  3. I’ll Be Back Up On My Feet
  4. Of You
  5. I Don’t Think You Know Me
  6. Valleri
  7. Words

Side 4

  1. Through The Looking Glass
  2. I Never Thought It Peculiar
  3. Tear Drop City
  4. Hold On Girl
  5. I’ll Spend My Life With You
  6. Mr. Webster
  7. (I Prithee) Do Not Ask For Love

This special vinyl edition of More Of The Monkees was released in April, 2022. My copy arrived on April 21st. At the same time as this release, a regular back vinyl release of this album was also put out. Both, I believe, are limited editions.


No comments:

Post a Comment