Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Brian Cullman: “Winter Clothes” (2020) CD Review


Brian Cullman is a singer, guitarist, songwriter, and journalist. His latest release, Winter Clothes, is the result of collaboration with friend Jimi Zhivago, who died toward the end of the album’s initial recording sessions in late 2018. Brian Cullman then set the project aside for a long while before feeling able to return to it. And it is fortunate for us that he did complete and release the album, for it is one of the best discs I’ve heard all year. It features all original music, written or co-written by Brian Cullman. Brian provides the vocals and plays guitar; Jimi Zhivago is on guitar, mandolin, organ and piano. Joining them on the initial sessions were Byron Isaacs on bass, backing vocals and drums; and Glenn Patscha on piano, organ and backing vocals. Then rounding out the sound on various tracks are Chris Bruce on guitar and bass, Chris Heinz on drums, Tony Leone on percussion, John Ellis on saxophone, Syd Straw on backing vocals, and Maryasque Fendley on backing vocals.

The album opens with “Killing The Dead,” written by Brian Cullman and Jimi Zhivago. When it kicks in, it reminds me a bit of Peter Gabriel’s “Solsbury Hill.” This is a beautiful song, with an undeniable energy and appeal, and some excellent lyrics. Check out these opening lines: “Time passes slowly/When time’s at an end/The hands of the clock start to bend/Time passes slowly/That’s what she said/When she was out killing the dead.” Syd Straw and Maryasque Fendley provide backing vocals on this track, and Tony Leone is on percussion. It is a fantastic and arresting opening track. That’s followed by “Down Down Down,” the song that initially excited me about this release. After like two seconds, it kicks in with a wonderful, delirious passion. Some unusual lyrics near the beginning grab my attention: “When the doctor came by with his broken mandolin/He said there’s lawyers in my basement/Bankers in my hall/And I do believe I’m heading for a fall.” There is a strange and catchy joy to the song’s chorus, aided by the backing vocal work. That leads to the song having a peculiar effect, as some of the lyrics are depressing, such as “It’s written there inside the book/That no one ever reads/That the things you love the most/Will soon be covered up with weeds.”  Those lines destroy me, yet they are followed by the joy of the sound of the chorus, pulling me all over the place emotionally. That’s when I really knew that this album is something special. This song also gives the album its title in the lines “Heaven knows/These winter clothes/Are torn and caked with blood/And if I could/I surely would/Get out of them for good.” Ah, and just when we’re heading for a harsh and disastrous winter.

“Wrong Birthday” is a lot of fun, with some lively work on guitar and keys. Yet these lyrics too offer a description of trouble and desperation. Lines like “No more candles on your cake/That shiny car has got no brakes/You’re at the wrong birthday” and “What did you expect/Your sheets are stained and torn/What did you expect/Your accounts are overdrawn” are ones we can relate to. This is a song that is perfect for these days, when we feel like dancing through oblivion, smiling as we look around and see that everything is wrong. I’ve mentioned this before, but it seems to me that there are more and more songs about aging (or perhaps I’m just noticing them more). The opening lines of “As A Man Gets Older” are “You find as a man gets older/He stops using words like ‘forever’/As the bills start coming due/You might change your point of view, et cetera.” This one has a sweeter, gentler vibe, which works so well. “Time cannot hold, time cannot bind us/Take us away where time cannot find us.” Those lines have tremendous appeal, the song’s beauty increased by Maryasque Fendley’s backing vocals. And this line makes me smile: “And as the girls grow much too young.” This song was written by Brian Cullman and Barry Reynolds, as was the one that follows it, “Someday Miss You.” This one is a mellow, more bluesy tune featuring some good guitar work. “I know someday I’m going miss you/I’m going to cry just like a baby/I know someday I’m going to miss you/But right now, right now, I’m so glad you’re gone.” 

I know we’re all looking forward to New Year’s Eve, just to be finished with this goddamn awful horror show of a year. In the meantime, we can enjoy “New Year’s Eve,” a track with a lighthearted vibe, playing on the word “Eve” in the lines “You can always find me hanging around the Christmas tree/I’m just a New Year’s Adam looking for a New Year’s Eve.” This track also mentions winter: “Now the winter’s here/Summer has passed and gone/Mother Nature left me here to carry on.” There are lots of striking lyrics on this album, so many lines to catch your ear. John Ellis plays saxophone on this track. That’s followed by “Sleep It Off,” another fun number, opening with these lines: “Go sleep it off/You crazy fool/Go back to bed/Go back to school/You know you ain’t so hot/And you ain’t so cool.” This one has a catchy groove, and a classic rock and roll ending. Then “Coffee” has more of folk vibe. And, again, this song features some excellent and memorable lyrics, such as these lines: “First I asked for her attention/Ah, but she was in the bath/Then I asked for her forgiveness/But she could not do the math/Now salvation’s overrated/And eternity’s a drag/But consider all the options/And you’ll see where I’m at.” I also love the line, “It takes an army of indifference to look the other way.” This track also features some good work on guitar.

“Wrong Girl” has a joyous vibe right from the start, reminding me a bit of The Hooters in those opening moments. “I’m in love with the wrong girl/Always seems like the wrong girl/Always seems like I can’t hold on/But I know I can’t let go.” Syd Straw and Maryasque Fendley provide backing vocals on this track. The album then concludes with “Building,” which was written by Brian Cullman and Jimi Zhivago. This one has a pretty, somewhat haunting and yet comforting sound, with a positive, optimistic bent in the repeated line “I will build where I stand.” This song is a great ending to an absolutely wonderful album. I highly recommend checking out this disc. You won’t be disappointed.

CD Track List

  1. Killing The Dead
  2. Down Down Down
  3. Wrong Birthday
  4. As A Man Gets Older
  5. Someday Miss You
  6. New Year’s Eve
  7. Sleep It Off
  8. Coffee
  9. Wrong Girl
  10. Building

Winter Clothes was released on September 11, 2020 through Sunnyside Communications. By the way, the album’s cover photo is one more thing that makes it the perfect disc to listen to this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment