Friday, May 29, 2020

Teddy Thompson: “Heartbreaker Please” (2020) CD Review

The first time I heard Teddy Thompson was in the documentary Leonard Cohen: I’m Your Man, in which he performs an excellent rendition of “Tonight Will Be Fine.” His performance is one of that film’s highlights, and it is what got me interested in him. At that point, he’d already released his first two solo albums. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that his parents are Richard and Linda Thompson. Music is part of that family’s DNA. Teddy Thompson’s new album, Heartbreaker Please, features all original material, with a certain theme running through these tracks. Joining him on this album are Zach Jones on drums and percussion, Jeff Hill on bass, Al Street on electric guitar, and Eric Finland on piano and keyboards, along with some special guests on various tracks.

The album opens with “Why Wait,” a delicious pop tune that is immediately catchy, with that steady beat and the nice touches on horns. Alec Spiegelman and Cole Kamen provide the work on horns. As cheerful as the song’s sound is, the lyrics are about the end of a relationship, with the first line being “Here’s the thing, you don’t love me anymore” and him soon asking “Why wait for you to break my heart?” Then toward the end he offers us these lines: “There is love in this world to find/And there is love you must leave behind.” If you are suffering some personal heartbreak, this honest song might be the very thing to raise your spirits, with its groove and the way it lets you know that you are not alone. That’s followed by “At A Light,” which has something of a late 1950s or early 1960s vibe, which is just delightful. As with the first track, this one has strong opening lines: “One day soon when you’re all alone at a light/You’re gonna miss me.” Don’t we all want to believe that someone who hurt us is going to, at some point, miss us and maybe feel regret? This song, like the first track, mentions heartbreak, a developing theme of the album more than hinted at by the album’s title. Right as the song is fading out, it directly references an early 1960s song that might have crossed your mind while listening, The Crystals’ “And Then He Kissed Me.”

Richard Thompson joins Teddy on electric guitar on “Heartbreaker Please,” the album’s title track, one that has a bit more of a country vibe. “Will you come back/Heartbreaker please/Will you come back/With all my dreams.” Those lines describe a yearning that most of us have experienced at one time or another. Sure, the “Hitch me to your star” line might come across as a bit cheesy, but it fits with that vulnerable state one is in at these moments. That’s followed by “Brand New,” which begins with a slow, steady beat. This one is about leaving someone, which is difficult, even when one has a new car to take him away. “I’ve got a brand new girl/She is my world these days.” Those last two words reveal a lot, don’t they? I also really like these lines: “And she tells the truth/So I do that too.” This is one of the album’s strongest tracks, featuring a passionate and honest vocal performance.

“What Now” has something of 1970s feel and, as is the case with every song on this album, includes some really good lyrics. “See the world is a cold place/Don’t mess with what you can’t replace/And it only matters now if you’re with me.” This track also features a nice lead on keys. The first line of “No Idea,” “I got no idea what I’m doing,” jumped out at me. Oh yes, I am certainly in touch with that thought. Aren’t most of us? I mean, really, I think no one has any clue what the hell is going on, and we are all just stumbling around, trying to not get too hurt. I also really like the lines, “I’m a metaphor that’s reaching/But can’t extend to this loss.” And I love that work on guitar. This is my favorite track. Ethan Eubanks plays drums on this one, and Erik Deutsch is on keys. Then “Record Player” has a fun vibe right from the start. This is one I bet a lot of people can relate to, as we all make our way through the world hearing a lot of crappy music. It drives me nuts, particularly as there is so much great music out there. I’ve said it often, but the volume at which someone’s music is played seems directly proportional to how shitty the music is. Rarely do you hear a car go by with a great song blaring. Mostly it is complete rubbish, and the dude driving is so proud of his atrocious taste. “Where are the songs that I love/Where is the music that I care for/Is it only in my head/Or on my record player.” Nicki Richards and Leslie Mendelson provide backing vocals on this track.

“Take Me Away” is another of the disc’s highlights. How can you not love that rhythm established at the beginning? And this track has what is probably the best vocal performance of the album. “Love take me away/Love take me away/Far away from here/Into the new.” Plus, this track features a wonderful string arrangement by Chris Carmichael. Mauro Refosco is on percussion. That’s followed by “It’s Not Easy,” which has a cheerful sound. I love the work on horns by Alec Spiegelman and Cole Kamen. The album then concludes with “Move At Speed,” a song with a strange beauty and power. Here is a taste of the lyrics: “Leave the pieces on the floor/You will never have control/Only leaves you wanting more.” Ethan Eubanks is on drums, and Erik Deutsch is on keys.

CD Track List
  1. Why Wait
  2. At A Light
  3. Heartbreaker Please
  4. Brand New
  5. What Now
  6. No Idea
  7. Record Player
  8. Take Me Away
  9. It’s Not Easy
  10. Move At Speed
Heartbreaker Please was released today, May 29, 2020, on Thirty Tigers.

No comments:

Post a Comment