Sunday, October 1, 2023

I See Hawks In L.A. Play Autry Museum Celebration

I See Hawks In L.A. playing "Geronimo"
Yesterday the Autry Museum celebrated its thirty-fifth anniversary with a day of music, food, and special activities. The price of admission matched the price when the museum first opened in 1988: $4.75. And for those of us who haven’t been working because of the strike, the price was right. The museum features many excellent displays, and I particularly enjoyed the stagecoach and chuckwagon exhibits, as well as the history of Griffith Park. But I was there mainly for the music. Throughout the afternoon, bands played in the courtyard just outside the entrance to the museum, including I See Hawks In L.A., one of my personal favorite groups.

Angel City Bluegrass Boys
There was a little rain when I arrived, but it stopped before the first band went on at 1:30 p.m., and the floor of the courtyard began to dry. The Angel City Bluegrass Boys were first up, and they delivered a wonderful set. How had I not seen this band before? Early in the set they covered the Sons Of The Pioneers’ “Tumbling Tumbleweeds,” and their harmonies were beautiful. They also delivered good renditions of “‘Til The End Of The World Rolls Round” and “You Win Again.” Their set ended at 2:02 p.m. While I See Hawks In L.A. was setting up, the crowd was treated to a trick rope performance that was seriously impressive.

At precisely 2:30 p.m., I See Hawks In L.A. opened with “Raised By Hippies,” a song from the band’s California Country album. “Thanks for coming out and braving the rain,” Rob Waller told the crowd. “I love this place,” Paul Marshall said. “Been coming here for a long time.” The band then went into “Hope Against Hope,” the opening track from the Grapevine album. I always love that bass part near the end.  That was followed by a more recent number, “Geronimo,” which was on the band’s 2021 release On Our Way. That song features some nice work by Paul Lacques on guitar. By the way, the museum’s exhibits include a guitar from the 1870s. I wish someone could have taken it out of its case and let either Paul Lacques or Rob Waller play it. That would have been something. It would have been fitting, I think, and either musician would have handled the instrument with the appropriate care.

“If You Lead I Will Follow” is one of my favorite I See Hawks In L.A. songs, and I was so happy to hear them play it yesterday. It comes from the band’s 2012 album, New Kind Of Lonely. For this song, Paul Lacques switched to lap steel, delivering some sweet work. This song also features some beautiful vocal work. “If you lead I will follow/You give me comfort from the world/When my heart is feeling hollow/You fill it up with your diamonds and pearls.” It was, for me, a highlight of the set, and was followed by another highlight, “I See Hawks In L.A.” Yes, I See Hawks In L.A. is one of those bands that have a song sharing the band’s name (along with groups like Bad Company, They Might Be Giants and Kanary). Paul Lacques played lap steel on this one too, and it was he who got the song going. This one sounded particularly good yesterday, those gorgeous harmonies having a joyful aspect. The line “If you see hawks, then maybe we should talk” always makes me smile. And on the line “If clouds disappear,” Paul Marshall looked up at the clouds, acknowledging them, and perhaps willing them to disperse. And you know, it wasn’t long before they did.

After that song, Rob Waller asked who in the crowd was actually born in Los Angeles. Paul Marshall raised his hand, as did just a few in the audience. But most people were from elsewhere, which feels typical of any Los Angeles crowd. Most of us started somewhere else. And the question might be, Can we get back? And as the band began “Ohio,” a song that is sort of about returning – or at least thinking of returning – to wherever it is we all come from, the sun began shining brightly upon the stage. Paul Lacques was now back on electric guitar. “Ohio” is such a fun song, and it got folks dancing. The band followed that with “California Country.” The line from this song that always stands out to me is “Freeways just surround me.” It certainly feels that way, doesn’t it? They then wrapped up their set with “Good And Foolish Times,” another tune that is always appreciated and enjoyed.  Sure, the song seems to invite us to consider a long period of time. But it also, when placed as the closing number, seems to ask about the very show we just experienced. Didn’t we have some good times? Indeed! With this band, the answer is always yes.

Set List

  1. Raised By Hippies
  2. Hope Against Hope
  3. Geronimo
  4. If You Lead I Will Follow
  5. I See Hawks In L.A.
  6. Ohio
  7. California Country
  8. Good And Foolish Times

Here are a few photos from the show:

Angel City Bluegrass Boys


"Raised By Hippies"

"Hope Against Hope"

"If You Lead I Will Follow"

"I See Hawks In L.A."

"Ohio" 

"Good And Foolish Times"

Autry Museum Of The American West is located at 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, California. (It is within Griffith Park, and parking is free.)

No comments:

Post a Comment