Monday, July 10, 2023

Joyann Parker: “Roots” (2023) CD Review

Joyann Parker is a powerful vocalist and songwriter whose music covers territory in the blues, soul and rock realms, but is certainly not bound to those areas. She was based in Minneapolis for quite some time, and now has moved back to her home state of Wisconsin, and perhaps that is part of the reason for the title of her new album, Roots. This album features all original material, written by Joyann Parker, who plays guitar and keyboards. Joining her on this release are Mark Lamoine on guitar and backing vocals, Tim Wick on keyboards, and Bill Golden on drums and percussion, all of whom also played on 2021’s Out Of The Dark, along with Chris Bates on bass. There are also several guests on various tracks.

The album opens with its title track, “Roots,” a strong number that comes at you as an unabashed rocker. Here she sings about putting her roots down, after being “upended by the hurricanes of life.” We can relate to that desire, particularly in these uncertain days. And this track features some delicious, soulful backing vocal work by Patricia Lacey and Nesret Theba, while Joyann Parker belts out some of the lyrics with a great power, and that electric guitar flies up to the sky.  At one point toward the end, Joyann Parker draws us in closer with a section of vocals and drums, before the power erupts again. That’s followed by “Faintly Optimistic.” I like that title. It is a perfect description of how many of us have felt about the political situation in this country. None of us got too excited when Trump was indicted, but we are faintly optimistic. “I can kinda see the light/The clouds are almost breaking/Kinda seems like they might/Oh, it depends on who you’re asking.” And the backing vocalists agree, “Yes it does.” But even as Joyann Parker sings “For your multitude of sins,” this song is not about that former occupant of the White House. It’s about a relationship, and thinking things are going to be better, that the man is going to change. And it’s a fun number, with a horn section. Rich Manik is on saxophone, and Dave Foley is on trumpet, delivering some wonderful stuff. It’s a rousing track.

Joyann Parker mellows things out a bit then with “Wash It Away,” a moving song with a soulful vocal performance and some nice work on keys. “When the door finally locks/The pain is going to come/And the rain won’t wash it away.” Patricia Lacey and Nesret Theba again lend their voices to the emotional power of this song, sounding so good. “What’s a few more years of choking on dirt?” Joyann asks, and then the electric guitar takes over for a time. The power behind Joyann’s voice is exciting. That’s followed by “Closing Someone Else’s Blinds,” a bluesy number featuring a good bass line and another strong vocal performance. “Well, life seems like a losing game when you’re dealt a bad hand/I don’t want to lose you, but I just can’t understand/Why I keep on trying to pretend that everything is fine/Well, I love you, baby, but we’re all out of time.” Then in “What’s Good For You,” she sings, “If you had any sense at all, you’d leave me good and fast/Because I’m a tornado, boy, and I just can’t help but destroy everything in my path.” Oh yes, there is undeniably that sort of power in her voice, that kind of force, and we believe everything she is saying. “You don’t know what’s good for you/But I know it ain’t me.” A moment later she sings, “Oh, you can’t help but be drawn to me,” and that is certainly true of those of us who want some kick-ass music. Chris Kroeze provides backing vocals on this track.

Joyann Parker surprisingly turns to a reggae vibe with “Juxtaposition.” “That it’s your lies versus the truth/Let’s put ‘em together and compare the two/One’s so simple, the other one ain’t/You’re so mixed up, can’t keep your stories straight.” Scott Graves adds some wonderful work on trombone, and there is still a blues element to this song. And I like the line, “Clear as day, dark as night.” Then there is a jazzy element to “Old Flame,” and a smoother vocal approach. Steve Roehm is on marimba, and Cierra Hill is on strings. “And it’s just too hard for me to hide the pain/Our old flame just tears me up in two/Whenever I see you.” “Ain’t Got Time To Cry” also has a wonderful jazzy aspect it. This is yet another strong track, featuring a no-nonsense attitude and vocal approach. “I ain’t got patience for your fooling around/And I ain’t gonna let you push me down/I ain’t gonna let you lie to me one more time/And I ain’t got time to cry.” About halfway through this track, listen to the way she delivers the word “cry.” So wonderful. And Paul Odegaard adds some great stuff on trumpet.

“Forsaken” is like a cry up to the heavens, or possibly a demand. I mean, how could even a deity refuse to respond to this voice?  Joyann Parker is backed by some fantastic bluey electric guitar, but it is her vocal performance that is electrifying. “Now my friends have left/They’ve gone and abandoned me/Yeah, they left me here, oh lord/Everybody left me here on my knees.” She gives a seriously impressive performance. That’s followed by “Miss Evangeline,” and here she goes more into the folk and country realm, this song having a bluegrass sound. Chris Silver delivers some wonderful work on mandolin, and Sarah Morris joins Joyann on backing vocals. I’m always happy to hear Sarah Morris. This is one of my personal favorite tracks. “You made a promise, now you’re going to keep it/You’ll break her heart, but mine was first in line/My daddy’s shotgun ain’t real patient/Better hurry now, because I ain’t got much time.” Joyann Parker changes gears again with “Going Under,” a slower and moving song, with keyboard being prominent. “Nothing left but sleep/Nothing left to keep.” Its final lines are: “Open my mouth, but no words come out/Open my soul, and you gain control/Open my mind, you climb inside.”

“Stay Home Mama” has that delicious style of blues, featuring some delightful work on keys and a boisterous, strong vocal delivery. And Scott Graves is again on trombone. The song sounds so cool that at first I didn’t even realize what it was she was singing about. And once I did, I started laughing. This is a playful number about raising children and trying to find a few moments to yourself. “For I haven’t read a book for fun in over seven years/Can’t remember what it’s like to go have a happy hour beer with my friends/Yeah, I used to have friends.” And she has to interrupt herself to reprimand the kids, which is a wonderful moment, the idea that the kids even intrude on her song, on the music, become a part of it, as kids become a part of everything. That’s a brilliant touch. It happens again toward the end, but that part isn’t as good. The “I pooped” feels kind of lame rather than funny, and I wish it were cut, but the rest of the song is great. The album concludes with “Sconnie Girl,” a song about being from Wisconsin and celebrating that state. This one has a country vibe. “I was raised to speak my mind/Work real hard, and still be real kind/Ain’t nothing better than a fine Wisconsin girl.”

CD Track List

  1. Roots
  2. Faintly Optimistic
  3. Wash It Away
  4. Closing Someone Else’s Blinds
  5. What’s Good For You
  6. Juxtaposition
  7. Old Flame
  8. Ain’t Got Time To Cry
  9. Forsaken
  10. Miss Evangeline
  11. Going Under
  12. Stay Home Mama
  13. Sconnie Girl

Roots is scheduled to be released on September 8, 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment