Friday, July 7, 2023

Brian Kalinec: “The Beauty Of It All” (2023) CD Review

Brian Kalinec is a singer and songwriter based in Houston, Texas. It’s been more than a decade since the release of his last solo album, 2012’s The Fence, though 2021 saw the release of Let’s Get Away, an album he recorded with KJ Reimensnyder-Wagner. But now he has a new solo album out, The Beauty Of It All. He wrote nearly all of the material for this one, provides the lead vocals, and plays both acoustic guitar and electric guitar. Joining him on this release are Pete Wasner on grand piano, keyboard, organ, synthesizer and accordion; Rankin Peters on bass; Mark Epstein on bass; and Merel Bregante on drums, percussion and backing vocals. There are also several guests on various tracks.

The album opens with its title track, “The Beauty Of It All,” which is also one of its strongest tracks, a song that touches upon getting older in these strange times. The lines that strike me each time I listen to this song are: “I don’t want to miss/One second I’ve been given/I don’t want to miss/A single drop of rain that falls.” This is a beautiful song, featuring some pretty work on piano and some wonderful work on strings. James Rieder is on chamber strings, and Dirje Childs plays cello. “I don’t want to miss/The beauty of it all.” That is something that has been on my mind a lot lately. As I get older, it seems more and more important to acknowledge and experience the world’s beauty. “I have come to realize that I won’t save the world,” Brian Kalinec sings at one point here. That’s a difficult lesson, isn’t it? But it means being able to focus on those people who play a big part in our lives, and that’s a wonderful thing.

The first verse of “Big Hearted” is about how two different generations view someone who is struggling, and how viewing someone through a child’s eyes might be the better way. It can be difficult, particularly as the homeless problem is getting worse and worse in several cities, but this is a good reminder of a very human problem. The second verse is about the possibility of connecting with someone who is a Republican. I’ve struggled with this one, and sadly have come to the conclusion that it’s impossible, for that party is not really about a difference of opinions anymore. It is now a cult, and there is no point in trying to talk with a cult member. It’s not a conclusion I wanted to reach, but here we are. Life is much too short to spend any of it reaching out to bigoted cult members. But my hat is off to those who continue to try, and perhaps it would be a better world if we all kept trying. I don’t know. “Maybe in the middle we could get back to being civil/Maybe not, but it’s worth a shot.” This is the only track not written by Brian Kalinec. It was composed by Steve Seskin and Kate Schutt. Sarah Pierce provides backing vocals on this track, as well as the album’s opening track.

“Breakfast At Midnight” has a mellow, kind of sweet vibe. This one is about being a songwriter, with Brian Kalinec singing, “Maybe my song will be some slice of truth/To those who may hear it but don’t care who I am.” This track features Cody Braun on mandolin, and that instrument makes me smile. Dave Pearlman adds some great stuff on pedal steel, and Michael Dorrien plays electric guitar. That’s followed by “Two Roads,” which has some pop elements, with work on keys and synthesizers supporting Brian Kalinec’s vocals. “One road leading somewhere/Another heading quickly to an end.” Susan Elliott and Sarah Pierce provide backing vocals. Then “Redwood Fence” explores black and white relations by using a wood fence as a central image. “Just how long does it take a man to learn/That fear is just a hollow alibi.” Brian Kalinec uses a gentle vocal approach on this track, which also features some nice work on piano and a good bass line. Plus, this one features strings. And again, in its lyrics, children are better about reaching out than adults. As it has been said, no one is born with prejudice or bigotry. “I’d Never Expect It” also features a good bass line. This one has a bit of a pop vibe, reminding me of some songs from the 1970s. This is another of the disc’s highlights, and it contains some really nice backing vocal work by Jen Grove, and some good guitar work.

The opening lines of “Next Door Stranger” grab me: “These walls are so thin/I can feel my neighbor sweat.” Home is the place where you should be able to escape the noise of other people, and it’s awful when you can hear everything your neighbor does, leading to feeling trapped in your own home. “His conversations make/No sense at all/Well, he hasn’t lived there long/And I don’t know his name/But he seems a bit familiar/And just a touch insane/He’d probably be the first to tell you/That he’s the last to blame.” As the song is reaching its conclusion, things change a bit. Patterson Barrett plays pedal steel on this one, and Jen Grove adds some pretty backing vocal work. Pete Wasner delivers some nice work on accordion. That’s followed by “Pizza And God.” “It’s been a difficult week/But I have a lot/To be thankful for/To be thankful for,” Brian Kalinec sings near the beginning of this one. I try to keep those things in mind, the things I am thankful for, particularly in the difficult times. Most of us have things to be thankful for, but I think we can be forgiven for hoping for more, and even for being a bit envious of those who have a great deal more. But of course it’s good to remember what we do have. Kurt Vonnegut (one of my two favorite writers) urged people to recognize when they are happy and say (or at least think), “If this isn’t nice, what is?” Dave Pearlman plays pedal steel on this track. And if that isn’t nice, what is?

On “Overcommitted,” Brian Kalinec supports his vocals on guitar, joined only by Peter Wasner on piano and organ. “I’m tired of being tired, I’m not as fine as I may claim.” I feel like most of those claims are made when someone inquires innocently how we are doing and we respond automatically, “Fine” or “Good.” “I’m cleaning up the clutter, clearing up my mind/Souvenirs I’ve never missed now suddenly I find/I’m no longer feeling guilty about leaving guilt behind.” That’s followed by “Fix-it Man,” a song about aging, shown in the story of a fix-it man who carries fewer tools and earns less pay than in days past. I love that harmonica work by Cody Braun, who also plays mandolin on this track. “He never contemplates what might have been/He’s found good purpose in his life/No one hears him speak a bitter word/And he brings flowers to his wife.”

“If You’d Only Asked Me” has a soulful vibe, and features some excellent work on piano. Here is a taste of the lyrics: “Shadows grow long/But shadows don’t last/Whatever went wrong/Is just a piece of the past/I know I’m doing okay/If you’d only asked me today.” Brian Kalinec’s moving vocal performance helps make this track another of the disc’s highlights, and he is joined by Susan Elliott on backing vocals. “Looking for a lie I can trust.” Michael Dorrien plays electric guitar on this track. Then “Full Moon Window” has a comforting vibe, featuring Dave Pearlman on pedal steel. “Since I’m not sleeping, I’ll take a walk then/To prove to me I’m not afraid.” “The Wind” stands out, in part because of that cool work on organ, and in part because of its catchy chorus. This one was written by Mando Saenz and Brian Kalinec. “And the wind may knock you down/But you can climb back up again.” The album concludes with “River Of Kindness,” which has a gentle vibe and features Madelaine Herdeman on cello. Jen Grove, Sarah Pierce, Kelly Hanshaw, David Hanshaw, Jordi Baizan, Ken Gaines and Madelaine Herdeman all provide backing vocal work on this track. “There’s a river of kindness/A river of hope/It flows from those around us/And from some we don’t know.”

CD Track List

  1. The Beauty Of It All
  2. Big Hearted
  3. Breakfast At Midnight
  4. Two Roads
  5. Redwood Fence
  6. I’d Never Expect It
  7. Next Door Stranger
  8. Pizza And God
  9. Overcommitted
  10. Fix-it Man
  11. If You’d Only Asked Me
  12. Full Moon Window
  13. The Wind
  14. River Of Kindness

The Beauty Of It All was released on June 30, 2023 on Berkalin Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment