Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Laura: “Sunset Balcony” (2023) CD Review

Laura Kipp is a singer and songwriter from Germany. She released her first album, Quiet Land, in 2021, and has now followed that with Sunset Balcony. This new album features all original material, most of the tracks written by Laura Kipp and Jens Loh, with Laura Kipp writing the lyrics and Jens Loh the music. The two had also collaborated on the material for Quiet Land. The core group of musicians is also the same as on that earlier album, with Jens Loh on bass and guitar; William Lecomte on piano, organ and keyboards; and Eckhard Stromer on drums and percussion. There are several guests joining them on various tracks.

The album opens with its title track,  “Sunset Balcony,” which was inspired by warm, relaxing evenings Laura spent in Paris. And it has a gentle, relaxed vibe about it. “Woke up/And time stopped/Fade away/This stroll won’t get old/Parisian café/Million ways to go/Freedom’s knocking/At my door.” The line “Millions ways to go” reminds me of “If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out,” a song Cat Stevens wrote for Harold And Maude (my favorite film). This track features some good work on guitar. Christoph Neuhaus plays guitar on this one. That’s followed by “Johnny, The Fly.” Jakob Bänsch joins her on trumpet, and Paulinho Vincente is on percussion, and both make their presence appreciated immediately. This song mixes jazz elements with a funky groove to create a fun and light feel. I love Laura’s vocal delivery here, which has a strong sense of rhythm. And that instrumental section in the middle is cool, where Jakob Bänsch has a chance to really shine. And just before the track ends, there is a really nice moment on bass.

“Narcís” is an interesting song, of dancing and mirrors, sung partly in French, partly in Catalan. The lyrics to this one were written by Laura Kipp and Carles Denia. Carles Denia also plays guitar and provides some vocal work on this track, singing lead on the second verse (his is the verse sung in Catalan). Yes, there is a lot of beautiful vocal work here. Paulinho Vincente again joins on percussion. Eric Séva is on baritone saxophone, adding some wonderful work. Then “Oh, I Could Write A Book” establishes a pleasant atmosphere in its opening moments. Isabelle Bodenseh plays flute on this track, and Joachim  Bänsch is on French horn. In addition, this track features a string quartet: Luca Bognár and Marianne Sohler on violin, Natascha Stromer on viola, and Krassimira Krastera on cello. The string work is beautiful. And there is a really nice section where there is a lead on organ, while the strings continue, an interesting combination of sounds. But of course the main focus of this track is Laura Kipp’s beautiful vocal performance. This is a love song, and we can hear the affection and joy in her voice. I imagine many of us feel we could write a book about our relationships, though I suspect readers might be bored by pages of gushing about our loves. But here Laura does mention fights, though we know those are insignificant in the larger scope of the relationship. “Oh, I could write a book/About the you and I/About our stupid fights/About the times I’ve cried/But tears cannot outweigh/The jokes and laughs and faith.”

Laura shifts gears then on “Poke Bowl,” her delivery more in line with spoken word, that vocal performance one of the track’s cool elements. And I love the work of the rhythm section on this track. Of course, her vocal approach itself has a strong rhythm. Here is a taste of the lyrics: “This week is costing me more energy than usual/I’m trying to get back on track, but I keep losing/I’m constantly confusing quality time with work/That might be what I deserve/Now I’m looking forward to the weekend/Lazy Sunday, that’s what I’m craving.” Then in the second half, there is a surprising break, where the rhythm disappears, and her vocal work turns to humming. It’s a captivating moment, before returning to the main vibe of the track. Then “Forever In A Blink” has something of a folk sound as it begins, a pretty and mellow feel, her voice soothing, helping us to distance ourselves, at least momentarily, from our concerns and worries, and just take in the moment. “Just one last slow walk/No more need to talk/Before our time runs out/Breathing without a sound.” This is another of the disc’s highlights.

“Bénodet” is sung in French, its sound immediately transporting us to Brittany. This track includes some light, playful scat, and features some nice work on piano. This track also features Paulinho Vincente on percussion. That’s followed by “Happy Birthday,” a song with a friendly tone and sweet vibe. There is even a playful laugh in her voice at one point early on. “May this new year/Be as special/As you are.” There is some wonderful work on keys. The string quartet then joins Laura again for “Grain Of Salt,” a piece that also features some excellent work on bass. It opens with an instrumental section, setting the tone, but it is Laura’s vocal performance that really grabs me. As she begins, her voice has an intimate quality, just above a whisper, without the strings backing her. The strings soon return. “Hurting me bad enough/To doubt the sense of love.” This, for me, is one of the album’s most compelling tracks.

“Dance Into The Light” begins with a good groove, and Laura soon exclaims, “Oh yeah,” just as listeners might be inclined to do. I love the way she varies her vocal performance on this track, and I particularly like when she is grooving vocally with the rhythm. “All this bad news/And this and that again/Heard the same stuff on every radio station/Won’t you leave me alone/Hear my blues/All I need is just some good news.” I also like that guitar work during that instrumental section in the middle. That’s followed by “Bartender.” Jakob Bänsch plays flugelhorn on this one, delivering some really nice work. This track also features one of my favorite vocal performances of the album. “Hey, bartender/Just serve me some wine/That goes with that gorgeous tune/And sing with me for a while.” It’s a cool, mellow number. Laura Kipp wrote the music as well as the lyrics for this one. It is certainly another of the disc’s highlights.

“Hey, You” has something of a bright sound. Here Laura sings, “Hey, you/I never thought I would say this/But everything little thing’s gonna be all right,” a nod to Bob Marley. I want to share that optimism, but it’s difficult to let go of anger when there are constant reminders of the many reasons to be furious. But music is what helps calm me. This track features some wonderful work on keys. That’s followed by “Prayer,” which contains another strong vocal performance, as well some excellent opening lines: “Found some old toys in the garage/And I wonder how the time flew by/So quietly.” The album concludes with “Promise Me,” a song for which Laura Kipp wrote both the lyrics and music. “See why I’m fighting/Still believe in/The things you thought/Would hold me back.”

CD Track List

  1. Sunset Balcony
  2. Johnny, The Fly
  3. Narcís
  4. Oh, I Could Write A Book
  5. Poke Bowl
  6. Forever In A Blink
  7. Bénodet
  8. Happy Birthday
  9. Grain Of Salt
  10. Dance Into The Light
  11. Bartender
  12. Hey, You
  13. Prayer
  14. Promise Me

Sunset Balcony was released on May 5, 2023 through GLM Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment