Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Buck Owens & Susan Raye: “Together Again” (2021) CD Review

Last year, Omnivore Recordings re-issued a lot of Buck Owens material, focusing primarily on his late 1960s and early 1970s output. At the end of the year, that label released Together Again, a compilation of recordings by Buck Owens and Susan Raye, along with some solo tracks by Susan Raye, those solo tracks being songs written by Buck Owens. The tracks have been mastered by Michael Graves at Osiris Studio, and this release includes new liner notes by Randy Poe.

The compilation opens with Susan Raye’s version of “Foolin’ Around,” which comes from her 1970 release One Night Stand. The song was written by Buck Owens and Harlan Howard, and was released as a single by Buck Owens in 1961. Susan Raye does an excellent job with it. “And when you’re tired of foolin’ around with two or three/Just come on home and fool around with me.” That’s followed by “High As The Mountains,” also from 1970, this one coming from the Buck Owens & Susan Raye album The Great White Horse. It’s a sweet and rather lively love song, with each of them taking lead vocals on different verses.

We then move forward a few years for Susan Raye’s recording of “Nobody’s Fool But Yours.” This track comes from her 1973 album Plastic Trains, Paper Planes, and it features some nice work on steel guitar, fiddle and piano. “A toy to play with/And when you are through/You throw me away/And find somebody new/But I’m nobody’s fool/Nobody’s fool/Nobody’s fool but yours/And although you do me wrong/I still tag along.” Yup, fools in love still exist and always will. I’ve mentioned before how Buck Owens was incredibly prolific and productive, putting out multiple albums in single years. Well, Susan Raye was likewise productive in the early 1970s, for this compilation’s next track, “Love’s Gonna Live Here,” comes from another album she released in 1973, Cheating Game. This is such an uplifting, optimistic track. Susan Raye’s rendition is wonderful, her voice just beautiful. “Love’s gonna live here again/No more loneliness/Only happiness.” That’s followed by their duet of “Sweethearts In Heaven,” also from 1973, coming from that year’s The Good Old Days (Are Here Again). Though of course Buck Owens had recorded it himself several times before that, first in 1956, then again in the 1960s, and also, interestingly on another release from 1973, In The Palm Of Your Hand, one of the Buck Owens albums re-issued last year. This song is so beautiful, and features some pretty work on fiddle. I assume I’m not alone in having death on my mind a lot lately. We are all getting older, first of all. But also with all the mass shootings, it seems none of us is safe and death could descend upon us at any moment. But mostly I’ve been thinking about my own sweetheart, and how I didn’t meet her until I was in my late thirties. The thought of this just ending is too much to bear sometimes. Is there anything after this life? Probably not, but who knows?

The disc then goes back to Susan Raye’s solo work with her version of “My Heart Skips A Bit,” a light and kind of adorable tune from her 1972 album My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own. That’s followed by “Together Again,” the song used as this compilation’s title track. Their voices blend so well, and I love that little ache in Buck’s voice as he sings, “The long, lonely nights are now at an end.” This is a song that puts things into some perspective, particularly with the lines, “And nothing else matter now/We’re together again.” Things are mad and maddening out there, but sometimes all that matters to me is being with the woman I love. This wonderful song comes from the 1970 album We’re Gonna Get Together. That in turn is followed by a song with a similar theme, “I Don’t Care (Just As Long As You Love Me),” with Buck singing, “I don’t care if the sun don’t shine/I don’t care if the bells don’t chime/Just as long as you love me.” This is a track from The Great White Horse. “Think Of Me” is also from The Great White Horse, and it features some wonderful blending of their voices on the chorus. “Think of me when you’re lonely/Think of me when you’re blue/Think of me when you’re far away/For I’ll be thinking of you.” This track also features some excellent work on guitar. This one was written by Don Rich and Estrella Olson. “Your Tending Loving Care” is another track from The Great White Horse, and another strong love song. “Day goes by so slow when you’re not with me/Nights are long and oh so hard to bear/Everything is nothing, dear, without you/And I’m nothing without your tender loving care.”

“How Long Will My Baby Be Gone” is a lively, fast-paced number from Susan Raye’s 1971 solo album, Pitty, Pitty, Patter. This song was also recorded by Buck Owens and included on his 1968 album Sweet Rosie Jones, which was re-issued last year. Susan Raye changes a couple of lines to adjust for her gender, singing, “For you took the sunshine from my world/When you walked away with another girl” in place of Buck’s “For I could never understand/How she could turn to another man.” That’s followed by “I’ve Got You On My Mind Again,” one of my absolute favorite tracks on this compilation. Susan Raye delivers a beautiful and moving rendition, with an excellent vocal performance. This track comes from yet another of her 1973 releases, Love Sure Feels Good In My Heart. Everything about it just works perfectly.

The title track from We’re Gonna Get Together is a fun, fast-paced tune, delivered as a playful duet, with Buck singing, “Well, now I come from the country,” and Susan replying “And I come from the city.” Ah, back then it might not have been a problem; but these days, who knows? This song also mentions Johnny Carson, with Susan Raye singing that she likes him. Buck’s reply? “Well, let’s go see the parson.” I love it. How do you follow “We’re Gonna Get Together”? With “Togetherness,” of course, a song that comes from that same album. This one was written by Freddie Hart. Then we get the title track from The Great White Horse, a sort of fairy tale song written by Buck Owens and Leanne Scott. But before the end, they come to the realization, “And the only world I want is here with me.” That’s followed by Susan Raye’s rendition of “The Kansas City Song,” which was written by Buck Owens and Red Simpson. Buck Owens included his version on a 1970 album, where it was the title track. That album was also re-issued by Omnivore Recordings last year. Susan Raye’s rendition, from Cheating Game, is fun and sweet.

Another of this compilation’s highlights is “I’ll Still Be Waiting For You.” This comes from Susan Raye’s Pitty, Pitty, Patter, and it is a slower gem, featuring a gorgeous, passionate vocal performance. “When you think your world has come to an end/I’ll still be waiting for you.” That’s followed by “Looking Back To See,” a fun duet. This song ought to put a smile on your face. “The Good Old Days (Are Here Again),” the title track from one of those many 1973 releases, is yet another highlight. It features some beautiful vocal work, and I love the fiddle. Everything about this song makes me feel good. “Arms Full Of Empty” comes from that same album. This song was also recorded by Buck Owens for another 1973 release, In The Palm Of Your Hand, as well as for yet another 1973 album, where it was the title track. “Great Expectations” is the last of the Susan Raye solo tracks, this one coming from her 1975 album Whatcha Gonna Do With A Dog Like That. The compilation concludes with song that was not written by Buck Owens, “Love Is Strange,” a song that was a hit for Mickey & Sylvia. Buck Owens and Susan Raye’s rendition comes from We’re Gonna Get Together, and, yes, in it, Buck says, “Oh Susan, how do you call your lover boy?” It’s goofy, for sure, but it’s fun.

CD Track List

  1. Foolin’ Around
  2. High As The Mountains
  3. Nobody’s Fool But Yours
  4. Love’s Gonna Live Here
  5. Sweethearts In Heaven
  6. My Heart Skips A Beat
  7. Together Again
  8. I Don’t Care (Just As Long As You Love Me)
  9. Think Of Me
  10. Your Tender Loving Care
  11. How Long Will My Baby Be Gone
  12. I’ve Got You On My Mind Again
  13. We’re Gonna Get Together
  14. Togetherness
  15. The Great White Horse
  16. The Kansas City Song
  17. I’ll Still Be Waiting For You
  18. Looking Back To See
  19. The Good Old Days (Are Here Again)
  20. Arms Full Of Empty
  21. Great Expectations
  22. Love Is Strange

Together Again was released on December 10, 2021 through Omnivore Recordings.

No comments:

Post a Comment