Thursday, October 24, 2013

Megan Jacobs CD Release Party at The Last Bookstore, 10-22-13



Megan Jacobs performing "Losing My Mind"

A decade ago I attended some of the best concerts of my life. I still think about those nights, and whenever I run into someone else who was there, the conversation will always turn fondly to that great band from Highland Park, The Peak Show. For the last year or so of the band’s existence, Megan Jacobs was the keyboardist and backing vocalist. And she was awesome.

Somehow in the intervening years she’s gotten even better. On October 22nd she played songs from her new CD, Moving On, at The Last Bookstore in downtown Los Angeles, and this is the best material she’s ever written. She had five other musicians accompanying her for this show, including Dan Ubick, who produced the album and co-wrote the material. She performed the entire album, though not in the order the songs are presented on the CD.

She opened with “Something To Believe In” and then went into the CD’s title track, “Movin’ On.” She told the audience to interpret it “as you will.” After the song, she said, “That was definitely inspired by Mike The Poet,” who performed two of his poems before Megan’s set.

About “Losing My Mind,” Megan said she wrote it on the 405 freeway while missing a flight to San Francisco. That of course got a big understanding laugh from this Los Angeles crowd. “Losing My Mind” is an excellent song.

Though I think my two favorites – if I were forced to choose – would be “Life Goes On,” which has a great early R&B feel, and “Under The Covers,” which is a gorgeous and completely moving song.

By the way, The Last Bookstore is a very cool store. I bought a couple of Shakespeare books (for only five dollars each) for myself and a copy of Lawrence Durrell’s Justine (which was only three dollars) for a friend. The people who work there were all incredibly friendly.

Set List

  1. Something To Believe In
  2. Movin’ On
  3. Losing My Mind
  4. Don’t Get Me Wrong
  5. Life Goes On
  6. No Hiding
  7. Don’t Think Twice
  8. Under The Covers
  9. Unconditional Love

Moving On is now available on CD. 

"Movin' On"
"Losing My Mind"


"No Hiding"

"Unconditional Love"
Megan Jacobs introducing "Unconditional Love"

No comments:

Post a Comment