Saturday, February 22, 2020

Ted Russell Kamp: “Walkin’ Shoes” (2019) CD Review

I’ve been enjoying Ted Russell Kamp’s music for several years, both his solo work and those times when he’s backed other artists. I’ve had the chance to see him sit in with other musicians several times, and I am always excited to see him perform. He manages to adapt his playing to many different styles of music, and it is sometimes a surprise to see him jamming with one artist or another. But it is his own material that I enjoy most. In addition to being a fine musician and an engaging vocalist, he is a talented songwriter. His 2019 release, Walkin’ Shoes, contains all original material, written or co-written by Ted Russell Kamp. Known perhaps most for his bass playing, he has mastered quite a few instruments, and on this release plays bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, organ, piano, trumpet, trombone and percussion. And on this disc he has some special guests sitting in with him, including Sam Morrow and Jaime Wyatt.

The album opens with “Home Away From Home,” and right away Ted Russell Kamp delivers music to make us feel good. “Every place I go is a home away from home,” he sings here. How is that for a positive attitude? The track is a fun, rockin’ country number, and it sounds like the band is having a good time. John Schreffler is on guitar, Dan Wistrom is on guitar, Jamie Douglass is on drums, and Brian Whelan provides backing vocals. “I just hope it makes you smile every time you hear my name.” I’ll tell you what, I smile whenever I see his name on the bill. The lyrics of this song provide the album with its title. The fun continues with “Paid By The Mile.” Sam Morrow, who co-wrote the song, joins him on this one, adding to the energy of the track. Both Brian Whelan and Danny Echevarria play guitar on this one. “I’d take my time/And I’d go in style/If I only got paid by the mile.”

“This Old Guitar” has a sweet country sound, and features some nice work by Dan Wistrom on pedal steel. By the way, this is an original song, written by Ted Russell Kamp and Ed Tree, not to be confused with the John Denver song of the same name. “She knows just what I’m thinking/And she plays just what I feel/It’s like there is a part of me that’s made of wood and steel.” Then “We Don’t Have To Be Alone” has more of a rock vibe. “Don’t fight it/Don’t try to hide it/And don’t try to prove me wrong/Believe me/It could be this easy/We don’t have to be alone.” Rich McCulley, who co-wrote the song, plays electric guitar on this one. Ted Russell Kamp then returns to a sweeter vibe with “Heart Under Pressure.” This one has a pleasant sound, a sound that lifts my spirits, eases my mind. Sometimes music is able to comfort you like a trusted friend, and Ted Russell Kamp is particularly good at achieving that vibe, that feel. “You got a weight on your shoulder/Trouble on your mind/And the nights are getting colder/And you’re hoping now’s your time.” Jaime Wyatt joins Ted Russell Kamp on vocals. “And you never felt as close/As close as you do now/To being what it is you want to be.” This is one of my personal favorites. It was written by Ted Russell Kamp and Mark Webb.

Then “Tail Light Shine” has more attitude, coming on strong with a good, slow thumping beat. This is a goodbye-and-good-riddance type of song, sounding like flipping someone off in your rear view mirror. “And you can watch my tail light shine.” Oh yes, this sort of song is appreciated. But I think his mellower, more introspective numbers I appreciate even more. “Highway Whisper” is one of my favorites, and this one is a solo effort, just Ted Russell Kamp on vocals and bass, like on his album The Low And Lonesome Sound. “If you listen, you can hear it in the distance/That highway whisper all around/Now the cars, they don’t know just where they’re going/And the stars don’t need to know they light the way.” This is one I plan on adding to my road trip play list; it’s a perfect late-night driving song. “Won’t you whisper so I know I’m not alone.”

The first line of “Get Off The Grid” is “Life keeps getting crazier.” So true. This is such an appealing track, both for what it says and for its delightful energy. I particularly dig the work on keys. “The president is lying through his teeth, and we all know/The anchor man just toes the party line/It’s all a show.” Yes, we all know, but the imbeciles who support him just don’t care. Horrible people, every last one of them. Yes, this is another of my favorite tracks; it’s a song we can relate to and appreciate. Who hasn’t toyed with the idea of getting off the grid? Who hasn’t made himself or herself a promise to do it someday? This song is also fun, a track you can dance to, while making your decision. That’s followed by “Written In Stone,” which has more of a rock vibe. “People like to talk, and no one likes to listen/After all the chatter, there is still something missing/Meaning gets lost when the words get scattered.” Emily Zuzik joins Ted Russell Kamp on vocals. Then both Emily Zuzik and Jaime Wyatt sing on “Freeway Mona Lisa,” a song co-written by Eric de Vries. And Andi Zack-Johnson joins him on “Just About Time For A Heartache.” “Oh, waiting on a broken heart is like waiting on the world to fall apart.”

Then he gives us “Less Thinkin’, More Drinkin’,” a New Orleans-flavored number about drinking, something we’ve all been doing a lot of since November of 2016. As you might guess, this is a fun track, and it features horns. It also features John Schreffler on vocals, and Eric Heywood on pedal steel. “With a little bit of liquor/I forget you much quicker/And it all goes down just fine/Less thinkin’, more drinkin’/I’m gonna get you off my mind.” Yeah, we could dedicate that one to all the members of a certain political party here in the U.S., one that is taking up too much of our thoughts. The disc then concludes with another high-energy tune, “Roll On Through The Night,” a song about hitting the road, moving on, even when you’re not sure where you’re going. It is another of the disc’s many highlights. “I can’t find the truth, I can’t shake these voices/It’s time to make some better choices.” By the way, the disc’s liner notes refer to a mysterious fourteenth track, but it’s not here.

CD Track List
  1. Home Away From Home
  2. Paid By The Mile
  3. This Old Guitar
  4. We Don’t Have To Be Alone
  5. Heart Under Pressure
  6. Tail Light Shine
  7. Highway Whisper
  8. Get Off The Grid
  9. Written In Stone
  10. Freeway Mona Lisa
  11. Just About Time For A Heartache
  12. Less Thinkin’, More Drinkin’
  13. Roll On Through The Night

Walkin’ Shoes was released on March 15, 2019.

1 comment:

  1. Ted Russell Kamp “Walkin’ Shoes” was really amazing i saw the video on youtube and i was hang for a while love from easy music trivia

    ReplyDelete