Monday, January 8, 2024

Debra Griner: “A Place To Stay” (2024) CD Review

Debra Griner is a singer and songwriter originally from New Jersey, and now based in the Nashville area. She released her first album, Bound To Rise, in 2011, and followed it a couple of years later with On The Bluegrass Trail. While On The Bluegrass Trail found her delivering some fun and sweet renditions of traditional folk songs, her new release, an EP titled A Place To Start, features all original material, written or co-written by Debra Griner. The songs here respond to some of the madness that we’ve been facing in recent years, but do so with optimism and hope and compassion. Joining her on this release are Scott Neubert on acoustic guitar, dobro, banjo and mandolin; Tim Galloway on electric guitar; Eamon McLoughlin on fiddle; Steve Peffer on piano; Matt McGee on bass; and Wes Little on drums. There are also some guests on various tracks.

The disc’s first track, “What I Wouldn’t Do,” eases in, like a quiet but hopeful dawn, one that offers the promise of something beautiful. And then the song kicks in, with Debra Griner telling us, “I’ve climbed the Adirondacks, stepped backwards from the ledge, repelled to a thousand feet below.” In that first line, she establishes that she generally acts without fear. Yet when faced with the wonders of a new relationship, she hesitates at first. “But my heart cries, ‘Wait a little longer, stop and enjoy the view.’” We understand it’s not fear, but the excitement, and wanting to hold onto those first moments, while her mind races ahead. I think most folks can relate to that feeling. Scott Neubert delivers some good work on dobro. Mike Lusk provides backing vocals, and Gene Rabaii is on chimes on this track.

“Beautiful Music” was written in 2020, during that initial surge in the pandemic, when we were all nervous, and when all concerts were on hold. I hope someone will write a comprehensive book on the music to come as a result of that uncertain time. I haven’t heard of one in production, so I might have to do it myself. Anyway, live music is what keeps me going in general, and so that time was particularly difficult. I needed music. Fortunately, my girlfriend and I discovered some good folks who put on short concerts at the end of their driveways every evening, and that kept us sane. This song is about needing beautiful music to get through the difficult times. “Play me some beautiful music/I need to smile/Play me some beautiful music/So I can rest for a while/Come and listen, can you feel it/Quiet the mind and fill the spirit/Play me some beautiful music please.” We can hear how important and necessary it is by her use of the word “please” at the end of the line. This song has a gentle, loving sound, with pretty work on mandolin and fiddle. Melissa Duvall provides backing vocals on this one. One of the deaths most difficult to accept during the pandemic was that of John Prine. Most people I know were hit hard by that one. Debra Griner offers her own thoughts and reactions in the song “Laughter, Weed And Wine,” which was co-written by Bob Sutton. “And I meant to write that letter, but I never took the time/To thank him for the music, the laughter, the weed and wine/The clock and spoon and empty room remind me of his lines.” This is a beautiful song, with some humor and great fondness, and is one of my favorites from this disc. In the lyrics, she refers to some Prine songs, including “Dear Abby,” “Paradise” and “It’s A Big Old Goofy World.” Jon Vezner provides backing vocals on this one. “He sang for the sad, the good and the bad, the old, the young and the lost.”

“My Childhood Friend” is a pretty song that begins with some nice work on fiddle, guitar and piano, and its first lines, “I meant to call you back in April/Then thought I’d wait ‘til May,” have a similar feel to her line “And I meant to write that letter” in the previous track. This is a song about division that crept in between friends, something I think most of us can relate to. There was a childhood friend from whom I broke all contact after it became clear she was supporting Donald Trump in 2020. It shocked me, made me sad. It was like I never really knew this person. And that’s what this song is about. She looks back with nostalgia to the times of innocence before things went sideways. “I always thought the sky was blue/No one ever said, ‘No, that’s not true.’” Those are great lines. That’s exactly how it feels. This is another of this disc’s highlights, and features some beautiful work on fiddle. Melissa Duvall provides backing vocals on this one.

“Plastic Rap” is a short track about disposable plastic, and yes, it’s delivered as a rap. (While the CD cover lists the song as “Plastic Rap,” the liner notes booklet has it as “Plastic Wrap.” Both titles work.) In 2016, we here in California voted on a bill that was supposed to put an end to plastic bags. It was a lie, of course. Those of us who were paying attention knew it was a lie, because it was the grocery stores that were supporting this bill. I voted against it, but most people didn’t do any research, and it passed. What actually resulted was not a plastic bag ban, but rather customers having to pay for each bag. And all the bags are plastic now. Somehow in the middle of this craziness, paper bags disappeared. That short rap leads to “Washin’ Dishes,” which is also about plastic, about using disposable plastic dishware and about those plastic bags. Plastic is probably what will eventually kill us. This song hopes that somehow we can go back to leading cleaner lives. This track, which has a bluegrass sound, features different musicians backing her. Bob Harris is on acoustic guitar, mandolin and banjo. Andy Leftwich is on fiddle, and Adam Armstrong is on bass. Mike Lusk provides backing vocals.  Andy Leftwich, of course, delivers some absolutely wonderful work on fiddle. (If you haven’t heard his 2022 release, The American Fiddler, you should check it out.) The disc then concludes with “Ruby And Mack’s,” a fun number with a cheerful sound. It has a Louisiana vibe, and that’s where this song takes place, Debra Griner taking us along with her to visit some family. Jeff Taylor plays accordion on this track, delivering some nice work. There is also some good work on fiddle. Don Henry provides backing vocals. At the end, we get the sounds of celebration, like we are at a hoedown. Again, music generally reflects the better side of humanity.

CD Track List

  1. What I Wouldn’t Do
  2. Beautiful Music
  3. Laughter, Weed And Wine
  4. My Childhood Friend
  5. Plastic Rap
  6. Washin’ Dishes
  7. Ruby And Mack’s

A Place To Stay is scheduled to be released on February 23, 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment