Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Humble Pie: “I Need A Star In My Life” (2022) CD Review

Humble Pie was formed in 1969 by vocalist and guitarist Steve Marriott after he left Small Faces, and for the first few years the group included Peter Frampton, along with Greg Ridley (who had been playing with Spooky Tooth) on bass and Jerry Shirley on drums. These guys delivered some good blues rock on several studio albums, but it was probably that 1971 live double album Performance: Rockin’ The Fillmore that really showed what these musicians were capable of. That album included “I Don’t Need No Doctor” and a twenty-three minute rendition of Dr. John’s “I Walk On Gilded Splinters.” Interestingly, it was after Peter Frampton’s departure from the band that Humble Pie had its biggest studio album, Smokin’, with Clem Clempson now on guitar. They followed that 1972 LP with Eat It the following year, and Thunderbox in 1974. And then things got interesting. Tim Hinkley joined the group on keys for what was to be their next album, I Need A Star In My Life. But the record label didn’t care for what they heard, and the group instead put out an album titled Street Rats, which turned out to be the group’s final album (at least until the band re-formed with a somewhat different lineup a few years later). And these tracks were left unreleased for a while. Now they’ve been digitally remastered, and this new release includes liner notes detailing the story of this recording. There is more than an hour of music on this disc. Joining the band on these tracks are Boz Burrell on bass, Ian Wallace on drums, Mel Collins on saxophone, Joe Brown on fiddle, and BJ Cole on pedal steel, with Vanetta Fields, Clydie King and Vicki Brown on backing vocals.

The album opens with a cover of Sam Cooke’s “Shake” (here titled “The Shake”). Humble Pie delivers a slow rendition, with a funky element, quite a bit different from Cooke’s original version. A lot has been said about Steve Marriott’s vocal talent over the years, and it’s clear right from the start why he is so revered. The band follows that with a cover of Bo Diddley’s “Mona.” This is a cool, loose rendition, the guys obviously having a good time. And how can you help but have a good time when you’re riffing on that delicious Bo Diddley beat? This track fades out, and I wonder how much longer the original recording went on. Things then get more interesting with “Lend Us A Quid,” an original composition, credited to Greg Ridley, Steve Marriott and Tim Hinkley. There is a playful element to this song, no question, but the music actually has a rather serious sound. Here’s a taste of the lyrics: “I’m a has-been, will be sometimes on the TV/I don’t mind living in a tent/‘Cause you ain’t got to pay no rent/Just make your tea/How would you feel living with a peacock/When you’re only an insignificant flea.” According to the liner notes, Steve Marriott was broke when they recorded this track. I kind of love this song.

These guys deliver a good cover of “Send Me Some Lovin’,” a song that was written by John Marascalco and Leo Price, and recorded by folks like Little Richard and Otis Redding. As with “Shake,” Humble Pie slows this song down a bit. There is a whole lot of soul, a whole lot of passion to their delivery here, which is a large part of what makes this such a great rendition. You get the sense he really needs some love. That’s followed by “She Moves Me Man,” an original song, written by Greg Ridley, Steve Marriott and Tim Hinkley. They establish a loose atmosphere at the beginning, like they’re playing on a porch for some friends, and the song has a classic blues sound, featuring some good work on harmonica. It seems the track deliberately sounds like an older recording, the vocals not as clear as the other tracks. “Street Rat” is another original composition, this one written by Steve Marriott. A different version of this song would be used as the lead track on Humble Pie’s 1975 LP Street Rats. This is a loose, fun, kind of wild number, sung from the perspective of a street urchin. “I found him in a pimpmobile just over the West Side/I grabbed him by his fur collar and got out my thirty-eight/Then I emptied all the inside on the outside of his weight.”

“Captain Goatcabins Balancing Stallions” begins as some goofing around, and the musicians soon kind of stumble into a delightful number. I guess I can see why the record label would balk at this, but I’m digging it. This one is credited to Greg Ridley and Steve Marriott. (By the way, on an earlier release it was listed as “Captain Goatcabin’s Balancing Stallions,” which makes more sense.) Then we get into that great 1970s rock sound with “High And Happy,” a song written by Steve Marriott. The line “I even survived spring in Des Moines” made me laugh out loud. I’ve been to Des Moines. I did not like it there at all. “Well now, I’m high, I’m happy, and I hope I stay that way.” It’s difficult, but good luck to us all. This track features some nice stuff on keys, particularly in the second half during that blues instrumental section. Perhaps the most playful choice of covers on this disc is The Ronettes’ “Be My Baby.” And they deliver a fairly faithful rendition.

“It’s All Over” is an original number written by Greg Ridley, Steve Marriott and Tim Hinkley. This is one of my personal favorites. It has a delicious rhythm, and features some nice stuff on keys. Plus, I dig the vocal work, which has kind of a relaxed, lighthearted vibe. And there is a cool section of drums and vocals. That’s followed by “Bluegrass Interval,” which isn’t really bluegrass, but is country, with pedal steel. This is an original composition by Greg Ridley, Steve Marriott and Tim Hinkley. “To all you evil people, I dedicate my verse/May you all rot together.” Things then get kind of funky with “Don’t Take But A Few Minutes,” another original composition featuring some delicious work on bass. I especially love that instrumental section in the second half. That’s a good jam. Then “Louisiana Blues” is a blues song with an interesting, slow, kind of raw vocal delivery. “Going to show all you pretty-looking women, well now, show all you good-looking women just how to treat your lovin’ man.” There is some interesting percussion, as well. This track was written by Steve Marriott. That’s followed by the final cover of the album, “You’re A Heartbreaker,” a song written by Jack Sallee and recorded by Elvis Presley. Humble Pie delivers kind of a sweet rendition, with a country vibe.

“I Need A Star In My Life,” the album’s title track, is an original composition, though it feels like a classic soul number, like something that Sam Cooke or Otis Redding might have done. It features some great vocal work, and is one of the disc’s highlights. “Cocaine” is also an original composition, though its main line, “Cocaine all around my brain,” of course is not. And when he sings, “It’s the real thing,” I have to imagine it’s a play on the Coca-Cola slogan (that drink had cocaine in it until around 1929). This track has a good groove, and I dig that work on keys. This is yet another highlight of the disc. That’s followed by “I’ll Find You,” which has a sweeter, softer sound, and features some nice work on harmonica. “And there ain’t no use in tryin’ to deal with the dying/Though I cannot explain that in rhymes.” And when the keys come in, oh man, it gets even better. This is another of my favorites. “Just remember, everything changes, everything passes/Just do what you feel you should do.”

“Lord Let Me Hold Out” also features some good work on keys. And the backing vocals have a great gospel vibe. That’s followed by “Hambone,” its opening lines catching me off guard: “Skinny-looking bitch and you keep on following me/I bet you got a brother who stands about six foot three/You’d better leave my hambone alone.” This one has a cool, raw sound, and it features some nice stuff on fiddle. The album concludes with “Signed Sealed,” which features more great vocal work. “I wonder if they hear me out there,” he says at one point, and right then we get a good lead on guitar. The sound gets a bit weird just before the end, but the track begins to fade out then anyway.

CD Track List

  1. The Shake
  2. Mona
  3. Lend Us A Quid
  4. Send Me Some Lovin’
  5. She Moves Me Man
  6. Street Rat
  7. Captain Goatcabins Balancing Stallions
  8. High And Happy
  9. Be My Baby
  10. It’s All Over
  11. Bluegrass Interval
  12. Don’t Take But A Few Minutes
  13. Louisiana Blues
  14. You’re A Heartbreaker
  15. I Need A Star In My Life
  16. Cocaine
  17. I’ll Find You
  18. Lord Let Me Hold Out
  19. Hambone
  20. Signed Sealed

I Need A Star In My Life was released on September 2, 2022 on Cleopatra Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment