Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Dave Rudolf: “Traditional” (2022) CD Review

Dave Rudolf has written a lot of original material over the years, but on his new album, Traditional, he explores traditional songs in the folk and gospel realms. You likely are familiar with most, if not all, of the songs he’s chosen for this album, but his approach will give you a renewed appreciation of these compositions. There is more than an hour of music on this disc. He even presents two distinct versions of “I’ll Fly Away,” highlighting the different approaches to that song artists have traditionally taken. Joining him on this release are Dan Peters on guitar, Jim Widlowski on drums and percussion, Thomas Linsk on keyboards and organ, John Chorney on keyboards and organ, Keith Baumann on mandolin, Greg Cahill on banjo, Lauren Nugent on penny whistle, Rich Prezioso on dobro, Wally Hustin on bass, Al Joseph on violin, Gary Victorine on pedal steel, Harry Garner on harmonica, and Marsha Lynn Smith on backing vocals, along with some guests on certain tracks.

Dave Rudolf opens the album with “Mary Don’t You Weep No More.” This is a lively, energetic rendition, featuring some great stuff on violin and a raw, passionate lead vocal performance, sort of in the same vein as Tom Waits. There is also some excellent backing vocal work. This is a strong opening for the album, with an energy that would have also made it a great choice of closer. It is followed by “Swanee River” (which is also known as “Old Folks At Home”), a song written by Stephen Foster in 1851. The version that always plays in my mind when I think of this song is the brief rendition by Davy Jones in an episode of The Monkees. That was a light, fun take on it. Here Dave Rudolf puts his own spin on it, giving the song a gentle and pretty folk sound, his vocals reminding me of some 1960s folks recordings. The music then takes a more serious turn with his version of “When Johnny Comes Marching Home,” which is combined with “Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ye,” a song that was written to be sung to the tune of “When Johnny Comes Marching Home.” I think I’ve often confused the two songs, and it turns out that it’s “Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ye” that I am thinking of when I think of the songs. It is that song that has the better set of lyrics, no question about it. And this recording will give you a chance to compare them yourself.

“I’ll Fly Away” is a song that always cheers me up. Fur Dixon & Steve Werner used to do this one fairly regularly, including at their wonderful back yard parties. It’s one that tends to get folks singing along, one that brings everyone together. On this release, as I mentioned, Dave Rudolf delivers two versions. The first is a bluegrass rendition, in line with most of the versions I’ve seen performed at various concerts, and featuring some nice work on banjo, mandolin and violin. This track has such an optimistic sound that I can’t help but think things are going to be all right. There is a sweet instrumental section toward the end. The second version follows it, and has a very different approach. This is a delicious, passionate gospel rendition that kind of rocks on keys. Marsha Lynn Smith sings lead on parts of this one, and delivers some fantastic work. This version seems ready to grab us by the arm and lead us directly to the heavens, bypassing the ordinarily necessary preliminaries, you understand. This song works equally well in both realms.

Dave Rudolf delivers a moving rendition of “Bedlam Boys,” featuring some beautiful work on violin. This song contains some interesting lyrics. If you are not familiar with the song, check out these lines: “My staff has murdered giants/My bag a long knife carries/For to cut mince pies from children’s thighs/With which to feed the fairies.” Delicious! And of course, I can’t help but think of King Lear when I hear lines about Tom O’Bedlam. Rick Ariail plays keys, and Diane Laffey provides some backing vocal work on this track. That’s followed by “Waltzing Matilda,” an Australian folk song that tells a great story, containing those perennial folk elements, such as wandering the countryside, run-ins with the authorities, death, and ghosts. This version features some good work on electric guitar. Then we get a cool rendition of “Wade In The Water” that will likely get you snapping along. It’s like a church and roadside bar were somehow fused together and the resulting band chose this song to perform. I love that stuff on keys, and there is also some good backing vocal work on this track. It’s just a completely enjoyable rendition.

Perhaps the strangest choice on this disc is “Istanbul, Not Constantinople,” which is usually listed as “Istanbul (Not Constantinople).”  And yes, okay, the first version I ever heard was that by They Might Be Giants (didn’t everyone own Flood?). The song is quite a bit older than that. Well thirty-seven years older. Dave Rudolf does a good job with it, delivering a delightful version. I particularly like that guitar work. He then returns to folk music with “Red River Valley,” which has some country elements. I love that pedal steel work. Dave Rudolf’s vocal approach here is sweet and smooth, which is just exactly right for this song. This track also features some good work on mandolin and fiddle. It’s a really nice rendition. It’s followed by “Will The Circle Be Unbroken,” this version combining gospel and country tonk elements. Dianne Laffey joins Dave on lead vocals on this one, delivering some strong vocal work. Then Dave Rudolf gives us “Haul Away Joe,” a sea shanty. I’ve heard several versions of this one over the years, and it is sometimes done a cappella. The version here has a full band sound.

Like many folks, I first heard “House Of The Rising Sun” done by The Animals. And I loved it. But later when I understood the song from a female perspective, it made a whole lot more sense, and I loved it even more. But it can work for both genders, and here Dave Rudolf sings it from a male perspective, and delivers a good, bluesy rendition. Rick Ariail plays keyboards on this track, Scott Ashley is on guitar, and Jamie Wirt is on bass. That’s followed by “Star Of The County Down.” I grew up listening to a lot of Irish folk music, and have heard many renditions of this song over the years. It’s an excellent song, and Dave Rudolf does an admirable job with it. It might feel just a tad slow, but it works really well. I love the penny whistle. Dave Rudolf then delivers a beautiful version of “The Water Is Wide,” featuring some pretty work on violin and some warm work on piano. At the center is his excellent, moving vocal performance. “Build me a boat that can carry two/And both shall row, my love and I.” Then “Blood Red Roses” begins with a rhythm. The vocals soon come in over it, but the beat remains prominent through the track. The album concludes with the folk song “Wayfaring Stranger,” featuring another strong vocal performance. “I know dark clouds may gather ‘round me/I know my way is rough and steep/Yet golden fields lie just before me.”

CD Track List

  1. Mary Don’t You Weep No More
  2. Swanee River
  3. When Johnny Comes Marching Home/Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye
  4. I’ll Fly Away (bluegrass)
  5. I’ll Fly Away (gospel)
  6. Bedlam Boys
  7. Waltzing Matilda
  8. Wade In The Water
  9. Istanbul, Not Constantinople
  10. Red River Valley
  11. Will The Circle Be Unbroken
  12. Haul Away Joe
  13. House Of The Rising Sun
  14. The Star Of The County Down
  15. The Water Is Wide
  16. Blood Red Roses
  17. Wayfaring Stranger

Traditional was released on November 15, 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment