Friday, April 17, 2020

Grant Dermody: “My Dony” (2019/2020) CD Review

Is there anyone out there that doesn’t have the blues right now? It’s hard to imagine, what with the loneliness of isolation, and the anxiety and worry about those we love, and the fury directed at a president who cares more about his own ratings and his golf game than he does about American lives. Hang in there, folks. We will get through this, with the help of some excellent music. The blues often have that nearly magical ability to lift us from the mire by putting our troubles into song. Singing the blues is like an exorcism of sorts, expelling the demons by naming them, taking away their power through music. Grant Dermody’s new album, My Dony, should be able to push away whatever demons are plaguing you. Based in Seattle, Grant Dermody is one hell of a good harmonica player as well as vocalist. Joining him on this release are Dirk Powell on guitar, keys, mandolin, and backing vocals (Dirk also wrote a few of the tracks); Jason Sypher on bass; and Jamie Dick on drums.

This album opens with its title track, “My Dony,” which was written by Dirk Powell. This song has a good groove and some really nice work on harmonica. Throughout the song, there are certain lines that Grant Dermody stresses through repetition. One of them is “Come and see me soon,” and as he repeats that line, he raises his voice. Ah, we all feel that need, don’t we? It will likely still be a while, but this music is helping keep us company during these hard times. He also repeats “You’re all too young to know” and, at the end, “I hang my head and cry.” By the way, there is also some excellent, classic-sounding work on guitar on this track. That’s followed by a cover of Clifton Chenier’s “One Step At A Time,” a tune with a delightfully fun sound, with that great Louisiana zydeco vibe, a sound seemingly designed to ease our troubled souls. A good deal of that sound is due to the presence of Corey Ledet on accordion and rub board. “Let’s take one step at a time/Honey, don’t fall too fast/Yeah, don’t wear yourself out, woman.” And of course there is more superb work on harmonica, and I love how it comes blasting in with a great blues force. “Give me your love/That’s all I want from you.” Grant Dermody then gives us a cover of “It Hurts To Be In Love,” a song written by Julius Dixon and Rudy Toombs, and recorded by Annie Laurie back in the late 1950s. I’m digging this track’s groove. Ah, maybe love hurts at times, but none of us would trade it for anything.

This cover of Sonny Boy Williamson’s “Springtime Blues” has that great classic blues groove, and wastes no time before delivering some glorious, passionate playing on harmonica. This track’s sound, particularly that excellent guitar work, makes it feel like it could have been recorded decades ago, and its appeal is timeless. Plus, it features a really good vocal performance. This one becomes a damn fine blues jam. Just sink into this one and let it hold sway. “Maybe I might see you, baby, in the fall.” Yup, that timeline seems just about right. That’s followed by “Real Time Man,” a song written by Grant Dermody. Corey Ledet plays on this track, rocking that accordion. This track also features a nice jam, with a thumping rhythm to get you moving. “No matter where I go, sweet woman/You ain’t too far off my mind.” Then “Too Late To Change Your Mind” has a raw blues sound, and features more great work on harmonica. This one was written by Dirk Powell, who also sings on this track.

“Corner Strut,” a tune written by the full band, is some delightful funky Cajun blues. If you’re feeling down, this one will get you on your feet. Yup, this one ought to do the trick, indeed. Corey Ledet again joins the group on accordion and rub board. And the line “Wait a minute, what, hold on” is one I find myself saying quite frequently these days. That’s followed by “I Can’t Turn Back Time,” a song written by Dirk Powell, with an easygoing groove and a soulful vocal performance. Just try to remain unmoved by lines like these: “When I close my eyes/It don’t seem like you’re gone/If I don’t open them soon/I’ll never move on” and “I can’t trade all my memories for today.” Kelli Jones provides some backing vocals on this track.

We then get into a little gospel with a cover of “Great Change.” From the moment this one starts with those smooth, gorgeous backing vocals, I am crazy about it. It feels like it is reaching out, clasping our hands and easing us into some other world. Then when it suddenly kicks in, it picks up the pace to become a joyful number. Of course, the lines “People that I used to see, I don’t see no more/Places that I used to go, I don’t go no more” have a different connotation these days. Rhiannon Giddens and Allison Russell provide those excellent backing vocals. This track also features some wonderful work by Dirk Powell on mandolin. That’s followed by another traditional number, “Morning Train,” with Corey Ledet’s accordion and Grant Dermody’s harmonica sounding so good together. I love that zydeco. The group jams on this one too, picking up the pace a bit as they go, increasing the energy, and simultaneously increasing our joy.

“Come On Sunshine,” written by Grant Dermody, has a delicious, slow groove, and features good backing vocals by Kelli Jones. “The spirit keeps me moving with a brand new song/And the music shines down, guides me on my way/Takes me home.” This is one you might find yourself singing along with before the end. It is a song that I like more and more as it goes. That’s followed by “35-59,” one written by the entire band, about a relationship with something of a significant age difference (which might or might not matter). “She’s 35, I’m 59/I’m kinda hoping she don’t mind.” The album then concludes with “Hometown Blues,” another original composition by Grant Dermody, a song about how things sometimes change even when you don’t want them to. “Don’t it feel so lonesome when all you know don’t look the same.” Oh yes, I think we’ve all been in touch with that sensation at one time or another. They say you can’t go home again, but it is hard when the place you feel a strong tie to is, in one sense or another, no longer there.

CD Track List
  1. My Dony
  2. One Step At A Time
  3. It Hurts To Be In Love
  4. Springtime Blues
  5. Real Time Man
  6. Too Late To Change Your Mind
  7. Corner Strut
  8. I Can’t Turn Back Time
  9. Great Change
  10. Morning Train
  11. Come On Sunshine
  12. 35-59
  13. Hometown Blues 
My Dony is scheduled to be released on May 8, 2020 on Thunder River Records, though it seems to have received at least a limited release on October 18, 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment