Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Visiting Kulak’s Woodshed, Former Location of Bomp! Records

In early 1999, I clipped an article from a newspaper, highlighting important music-related sites here in Los Angeles, and specifically in the San Fernando Valley. I was still new to L.A. at the time, and had saved this article with the intention of visiting all the sites, figuring it would also be a good way for me to familiarize myself with the area. But then I forgot about it. Recently, while going through some of my possessions, I found that newspaper clipping tucked in a stack of old magazines. The idea of visiting the sites was still appealing, and the first place I went to was The Onion, the location of one of the acid tests in the 1960s. Today I went to the former site of Bomp! Records, now Kulak’s Woodshed.

Kulak’s Woodshed is a quirky and cozy music venue with an assortment of chairs and couches (and even a bed) for its patrons to relax on. I’ve seen some good concerts there, including shows by The Evangenitals and The Brian Kinler Band. The venue opened in 1999. This building is also the former location of Bomp! Records, which was founded by Greg Shaw in the mid-1970s. He started his own music magazine, Who Put The Bomp!, and a label grew out of that. The name, by the way, comes from that delightful Barry Mann song, “Who Put The Bomp (In The Bomp Bomp Bomp),” which was co-written by Gerry Goffin. Artists that released records on the Bomp! label include Iggy Pop, Josie Cotton, and The Dead Boys. Some fantastic artists did in-store appearances here, including Blondie and Talking Heads, both in 1977. After Greg Shaw’s death, Suzy Shaw took over, and the label is still going, though no longer at this location.

Kulak’s Woodshed is located at 5230 1/2 Laurel Canyon Blvd., in North Hollywood, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment