Thursday, September 26, 2019

Holland Greco’s Record Release Show Was Canceled

Things were weird in part of downtown L.A. tonight, where Holland Greco was scheduled to have her record release party. My first clue that something was off was the stop-and-go traffic on the 101 freeway all the way from Hollywood Blvd. to the 110 South. At that hour and in that direction, things should have been moving. Then when I got off the freeway at 8th, I came into total darkness. The only lights were from the fire trucks which were blocking the right turn I was supposed to take. Traffic light after traffic light was out, and no one seemed to have any idea what to do. And every third block had a fire truck blocking a road. And there was no parking anywhere. It took me approximately thirty-five minutes to find a spot, and I got that by driving half a block in reverse after seeing someone pull out in my rear view mirror. There was a strange energy in the air, crackling between people, and I got the feeling it could turn bad at any moment. So I hurried to The Mayfair Hotel, a cool venue where I’d seen Holland & Clark play once before, last November.

When I arrived, the hotel lobby was full of people. They all seemed to be waiting for something, and not for the concert. As I made my way around everyone to the back of the lobby toward the Library Bar where the show was to happen, an employee stopped me. “It’s not open yet,” he told me. That was strange, since the show was scheduled to start at 9 p.m., and at that point it was 8:40 p.m. “But that’s where the Holland Greco concert will be, right?” I asked. “It’s not going to happen,” he said. Apparently, some transformer blew nearby, or some such thing, and the hotel was running on its backup generator. That’s why all those folks were hanging around in the lobby. Their rooms had no power. I looked around the room for familiar faces, and, seeing none, I made my way to the other set of doors to the venue. Through those doors I saw Holland Greco and Megan Jacobs, and went inside. There was no security guy on that side to stop me. And Holland confirmed the show was canceled. “I had a good show planned,” she said. Undoubtedly. Holland Greco has never delivered anything less than a stellar performance. And this show was to celebrate the release of her new single, and on clear vinyl at that. It was definitely going to be a fun time. The one good thing about the evening was that I was able to pick up a copy of the record, which has “We Could Still (Get It On)” on one side and “Reach For Me” on the other. And did I mention it’s on clear vinyl?

The show will be rescheduled soon, so everyone will have a chance to dance to some great tunes. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment