Wednesday, April 3, 2013

My Record Store Day 2013 Wishes



Several years ago when they held the first Record Store Day, I was completely excited. I love vinyl, and at that time my turntable was perfectly functional.  I hit at least half a dozen record stores, and at each one of them, the vibe was slightly different, but at each one of them there was definitely a party atmosphere. I remember there was free beer at one store. (It was Heineken, but who was complaining? It was free.) There was no hurry about things either. I didn’t feel any need to get to all of those stores the moment they opened (which of course would have been impossible anyway).

In more recent years, the day has become bigger. The list of records going on sale has become longer, and more and more dealers are grabbing up everything.  I’ve had more than a little anxiety about getting certain records. Last year I had friends in a few different states go to various stores to make sure I got the Leonard Cohen record and that Grateful Dead “Dark Star.”

And it’s that time again. Record Store Day is on April 20th. Sadly, my turntable isn’t working. I need to get it fixed, or – more likely – replaced. And sadly, I am totally broke. And of course there are many records that I want to get. I hoping the music angels will magically deliver some records to my door.

Anyway, it's always a good idea to have a list of the records you're looking for before heading to the stores, as some stores hold items behind the counter, and if you don't know to ask for them, you're out of luck.

Here are a few items that are on my wish list for Record Store Day 2013:

  • David Bowie: “Drive-In Saturday Night” picture disc
  • David Bowie: “The Stars Are Out Tonight” 7”
  • Billy Bragg: “No One Knows Nothing Anymore” 7”
  • The Dave Brubeck Trio: “Distinctive Rhythm Instrumentals” 10” red vinyl
  • Neal Casal: “Mountains Of The Moon” 7”
  • Cream: “Royal Albert Hall London May 2005” vinyl box
  • Jerry Goldsmith: “Poltergeist Original Motion Picture Soundtrack”
  • Grateful Dead: “Rare Cuts & Oddities 1966” LP
  • Patty Griffin: “Ohio” 7”
  • Page McConnell: “Unsung Cities And Movies Never Made” LP
  • Mumford & Sons: “Live At Bull Moose” EP (also on CD)
  • Willie Nelson: “Roll Me Up And Smoke Me When I Die” 7” green vinyl
  • Richard Thompson: “Salford Sunday” 7”
  • Yonder Mountain String Band: “Yonder Mountain String Band” LP
  • various artists: “The Newport Folk Festival 1965” 12”


No comments:

Post a Comment