Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Frankie Boy & The Blues Express “Young Man’s Blues” (2024) CD Review

Frankie Boy & The Blues Express is a blues band fronted by singer, guitarist and songwriter Frank Maneiro, also known as Frankie Boy, also known as Frankie Boy Blues. The band is also made up of Mickey Maguire on bass, Harrison Foti on drums, and Mike Morgan on guitar. Their latest album, Young Man’s Blues, is dedicated to two blues men, Luther “Guitar Junior” Johnson and David Dee, both of whom inspired the band. The group covers songs by both artists on this disc. The album also contains a lot of good original material.

They begin the album by paying tribute to Luther “Guitar Junior” Johnson with an original number titled “Guitar Jr,” which is one of those cool story blues numbers. This track has a great groove, and it contains some excellent guitar work. “People, I want to tell you a little story about a blues man from back in the day,” he begins. The song contains some biographical information, about how he was born in Mississippi and made his mark in Chicago. “Although his body has left this world, I promise you his spirits are alive and well/We got his guitar in the studio right now.” Luther “Guitar Junior” Johnson died on December 25, 2022. They follow that with a cover of David Dee’s most famous song, “Going Fishing,” which was the title track to his 1985 LP. On this track, Mickey Maguire, Harrison Foti and Mike Morgan all provide backing vocals. It’s a fun, lively rendition. Seriously, there is such a good vibe about this song, and it features some great stuff on guitar. Also, there is something about the line “I believe my hook’s still good” that makes me smile every time.  David Dee died on March 22, 2023.

I’m a young man, got my share of the blues,” Frankie sings at the beginning of “Young Man’s Blues,” the album’s title track. Indeed, the blues can get you at any age, no question. There is a nice, somewhat laid-back feel to this song, and it’s about how the blues are passed from one generation to the next, mentioning Buddy Guy and his song “Who’s Gonna Fill Those Shoes.” “I’m a young man/Guitar Junior taught me how to play the blues.” And he again mentions that he’s playing Guitar Junior’s guitar, which is very cool. He delivers some fantastic work on it too. That’s followed by “Anna,” a blues love song in which he sings, “I need my baby/My baby is all I need.” This song has a cheerful vibe, particularly in its rhythm and the vocal delivery. “Anna, come back to me, girl/Oh come on now, Anna.”  I love that spoken word delivery of “Oh, come on now, Anna.” “Lose My Cool” is another love song of sorts, opening with these lines: “You make me lose my cool, baby/When you shake that tail for me, girl.” This is one that will have you smiling, tapping your feet, moving. I love the drumming on this track, and the guitar too seems to be dancing during that delicious lead in the second half. “You make me sweat all over, baby/When you look right in my eyes, girl.” Then “Hey There Anayah” begins with a declaration of love. Hey, really, what else is there in this world? This track has a wonderful, cheerful vibe, and it features an excellent lead on guitar toward the end.

“Talkin’ About Soul” is the first of two Luther “Guitar Junior” Johnson covers on this album. It was the title track to Luther Johnson’s 2001 album. This rendition by Frankie Boy & The Blues Express has a fun, funky groove, featuring a cool bass line and some great drumming. “Come on and get down with me.” Oh yes, how can we do otherwise? That’s followed by a cover of Wilson Pickett’s “Engine Number Nine,” which was released as a single in 1970. This version has a heavier blues vibe than the original, these guys really digging into this one. Somewhere in the middle, there is a mellower section, but it doesn’t last long, and with a powerful burst they charge back into the fray. Fantastic. Then “Something About You” begins with some nice guitar work. This track eases in, and then suddenly Frankie starts belting out the lyrics, like he is overcome with emotion, caught up in it. It’s a great moment. I also like the track’s mellower moments, when it is the guitar that is conveying all we need to know. “That blue dress and your smile/I woke up from the dream in such a daze/It’s the only dream that ever/Made me change the way I live out my days/Give me one more chance just to thank you/For turning me into the man I am today.”

The album’s second Luther “Guitar Junior” Johnson cover is “Flippin’ And Floppin’.” It comes from his 1984 album Doin’ The Sugar, and is a totally fun song. This version is swinging and grooving, and features a great drum solo, so I’m happy. It moves straight into “So Mean To Me,” which keeps that groove going. “I got a woman and she’s so mean to me.” That’s followed by a cover of “Meet Me With Your Black Drawers On,” here listed as “Black Drawers On,” a song written and originally recorded by Jeannie Cheatham and Jimmy Cheatham in 1985. You can probably guess from its title that this is a fun number. “Well, you know I’m home, baby/I’m home all alone/I’m talking to you, baby, on my telephone.” And just before the end, he does change the line to “Baby, meet me with no drawers on,” similar to the original recording.

Frankie Boy & The Blues Express also give us a cover of “Mary Had A Little Lamb.” This one amuses me, in large part because I’m from the small town in Massachusetts where Mary lived and where the silly poem was written. Several blues artists have performed this one over the years, taking the nursery rhyme and turning it into a cool number. By the way, many years ago, the lamb statue in the center of town was stolen. The replacement statue is green, not white. Go figure. That’s followed by “You Belong To Me,” which begins on drums, a wonderful drum solo that lasts like a minute and a half. What better way to start a song? And when the drum solo is over, that doesn’t mean the fun is over. This track is a total delight. The album then concludes with “What More Can I Do,” which seems fitting, right? “What more can I do/To show you how much I love you/What more can I say/To tell you how much I love you.” There is something rather playful about this one, partly in the way the lyrics are delivered.

CD Track List

  1. Guitar Jr
  2. Going Fishing
  3. Young Man’s Blues
  4. Anna
  5. Lose My Cool
  6. Hey There Anayah
  7. Talkin’ About Soul
  8. Engine Number Nine
  9. Something About You
  10. Flippin’ And Floppin’/So Mean To Me
  11. Back Drawers On
  12. Mary Had A Little Lamb
  13. You Belong To Me
  14. What More Can I Do

Young Man’s Blues was released on February 10, 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment