Thursday, March 9, 2023

Dizzy & Fay: “Hooked” (2022) CD Review

Dizzy & Fay are a jazz duo based in up in Ontario, influenced by the great standards and yet creating their own original material. Fay (Amanda Walther) is on vocals and kazoo, while Dizzy (Mark Lalama) is on piano. Performing with them on their latest release, Hooked, are David DiRenzo on drums; Rich Moore on bass; Drew Jurecka on violin and viola; Johnny Johnson on saxophone, bass clarinet, clarinet, flute and alto flute; William Carn on trombone; and Jason Logue on trumpet and flugelhorn. In addition, thanks to a grant from the Canada Council for the Arts, the duo was able to include the City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Adam Klemens. Hooked is the duo’s second album, following 2021’s Songbook, and it was produced by Mark Lalama, while Amanda Walther did the album design and artwork.

The album opens with its title track, which builds at the beginning like it’s going to reach an exciting climax immediately, a brief overture that suddenly stops, at which point Amanda Walther comes in on vocals. “Can’t sleep” is then the first line, which makes complete sense after that introduction. “Baby, I am hooked on you,” she then admits, her voice turning more sultry and certain. And the track grows and builds, sweeping us up in its motion. I love that, but I also love that there are breaks, where the vocals have an intimate sound. And then there is a section where the piano is on its own briefly, another wonderful surprise, before things build dramatically again. Ah yes, this music is alive, keeping us engaged. What an excellent opening track. It is followed by “In A Heartbeat,” a completely adorable song, a love song featuring some sweet vocal work, and even whistling, as well as delightful work on piano and bass. “I’m told I should take it slow/You know, never lose control/But only a moment face to face/And my heart begins to race/There’s nothing I can do.” We all know how great that feeling is. And there is such joy in this song. It like magic, like a different world, and the laughter we hear at one point feels genuine. As this track reaches its conclusion, it turns even more romantic and delicate, like beneath the joy and laughter, there is a serious love that needs to be conveyed.

Amanda’s vocals have an intimate quality at the beginning of “Home Is Where My Heart Is.” “Take me home/I want to go home/I want to see my baby,” she sings, and we can hear the need in her voice. This is a slower, beautiful number, with some gorgeous work on strings. That’s followed by “I’m Alright,” a song that grabs me immediately with its opening lines, “I’m alright, I’m okay/What’s the point in you asking me that anyway/I’ll be fine in a day/Get some sleep, and then dream all my troubles away,” lines which speak to me. This song makes me believe that I can dream my troubles away. It’s been a rough time, but this music is like a friendly hand. There is no bull here. I mean, seriously, how can you help but put things into some perspective when she sings “The world seems to be on fire/And everybody’s going to die/But it’s cool/No big deal/I’m alright”? I absolutely love it. And it has that classic sound and tone. This is such a damn good song, and it is hitting all the right spots for me as I deal with my own problems. I’m guessing it will do the same for anyone else who is struggling now.

“See Me In The Dark” begins on piano, and features a beautiful, seductive vocal performance. “Nobody else can see my heart glowing in the dark/You can hear me from a distance/Tune in and you’re always listening.” Oh, to be heard, to be known, and to know you will be heard. We all need that. And that instrumental section halfway through this track is so cool. I especially love that percussion. Then “There You Are (In My Heart)” has a magical quality as it begins, like it is taking us into a fairy tale. And perhaps all true love has a magical quality about it. “There you are/In my heart/Every beat is repeating your name.” Her vocal approach here is so beautiful and soothing. “So there you are/We’ll never be apart/‘Cause you are in my heart.” So true. And the strings seem to agree. That’s followed by “Valentine’s Day,” which features an adorable and lovely vocal performance, one full of joy and heart. This is a song about finding joy in being by yourself, about being good to yourself. And, hey, you’re never alone if you have a box of chocolates, right? This song has me smiling the whole way through. I dig that bass line. And that last line makes me laugh aloud.

I really like the piano work at the beginning of “All The Things,” setting the tone. This track also features some good and interesting percussion. In this song, at first it seems that she is bragging. After all, she tells us she has “Countless diamond rings” and her “room is filled with flowers/From suitors overseas.” But one thing is missing from her near-perfect life. “Well, I have all the things/I’m just missing you/What good are all these things/If I’m still missing you.” That’s followed by “Everything Is Always You,” another sweet, romantic song featuring another wonderful vocal performance. The world of this album is one of love, and isn’t that precisely the sort of world where we all wish to live? “Only trouble is/No matter who I’m with/Everyone I kiss is you/So even if I fall in love again with someone new/Everything I feel, love, even if it’s real love/Everything is always you.”

Tell me everything’s gonna be okay,” Amanda Walther sings early in “Good News.” “I really gotta hear some good news/Good news today.” Well, those are lyrics for our time, aren’t they? In fact, I decided to take a break from the news for a couple of weeks because I couldn’t take it anymore. But it turns out the news on a more personal level was also terrible, and that was more difficult to avoid. And her need is believable. Everything about this duo rings true. “So please just pour me a drink/And pass me the phone/With baby on the line/Saying, ‘I’m coming home.’” Well, that would certainly do the trick. What better news could there be? And listen to those horns. Perfect. This is another of my personal favorite tracks. And it is followed by yet another delightful number, “Gotta Gotta Gotta.” A smile can be heard in her delivery. “You gotta follow your heart/You gotta go with your gut/Slide those fingers up the piano keys/If you want to find your harmony.” Then “All The Yous” is a fun and lively number, with a rhythm that seems to push you up from your seat and put you into motion, sets you on your way to wherever it is your heart wishes to go. “But then we might have never met/Of all the possibilities/I’m where I want to be.” The album concludes with “Never Mind,” which has a warm tone with a touch of sadness. Check out these lines: “Let’s just cash our chips and say/That we could have won it all/If we stayed/But I know the truth/We would lose/Let’s just never find out whether/Let’s just never mind.”

CD Track List

  1. Hooked
  2. In A Heartbeat
  3. Home Is Where My Heart Is
  4. I’m Alright
  5. See Me In The Dark
  6. There You Are (In My Heart)
  7. Valentine’s Day
  8. All The Things
  9. Everything Is Always You
  10. Good News
  11. Gotta Gotta Gotta
  12. All The Yous
  13. Never Mind

Hooked was released on October 21, 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment