Friday, February 3, 2023

Buck Owens And His Buckaroos: “The Kansas City Song” (1970/2021) CD Review

Omnivore Recordings put out several re-issues of Buck Owens music in 2021, focusing on albums originally released in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The Kansas City Song is one of seven albums Buck Owens released in 1970 (including two records with Susan Raye and a holiday double album made up of two earlier holiday records). Interestingly, two songs from this album would be included on another 1970 release, I Wouldn’t Live In New York City, and two others on this disc are quite similar to songs from that album. That record, released four months after this one, featured songs with different cities in the titles. The Kansas City Song also contains several songs about different places. All the songs on this album were written or co-written by Buck Owens. The band is made up of Buck Owens on vocals and guitar, Don Rich on guitar and fiddle, Doyle Holly on guitar, Doyle Curtsinger on bass, Jerry Wiggins on drums and percussion, and Tom Brumley on steel guitar. There are also several guest musicians. This re-issue was mastered by Michael Graves at Osiris Studio in Los Angeles, and contains new liner notes by Randy Poe.

The album opens with its title track, “The Kansas City Song,” one of the songs also included on I Wouldn’t Live In New York City. This rendition does not have the sound effects heard on that other release. For that reason, I prefer this recording. It is a fun song, featuring Bill Sampson adding some nice work on harmonica. This song was written by Buck Owens and Red Simpson. Buck Owens then slows things down with “Bring Back My Peace Of Mind,” one of those beautifully sad country songs about missing a woman. “I miss your fingertips/I miss your loving lips/I miss the tender little things you used to do/I’ve tried so hard to find/Some other peace of mind/But now I must face the fact/There’s just one you.” Buck Owens delivers a heartfelt vocal performance, and this track also features some good work on piano. The other song that was also included on I Wouldn’t Live In New York City is “(It’s A Long Way To) Londontown.” That other version includes the sound effects of bells at the beginning and end of the track. This version does not bother with that. Again, I prefer this version. It features another strong vocal performance. “But now my rainbow’s end has vanished/My pot of gold’s gone up in smoke/And I’m just trying to get back to baby/And lord I hope my baby will love me broke.” There is some humor in lines like “I got drunk down in Australia/And nearly married me a kangaroo.”

“I’d Love To Be Your Man” features a string section, which is featured prominently at certain points, particularly at the end. This is a sweet love song that includes some good work on steel guitar. “I’d love to be the curtain on your window/I’d love to be the picture on your stand/I’d love to be the sunshine in your morning/But most of all I’d love to be your man.” This one was written by Buck Owens and Red Simpson. Then in “You Can’t Make Nothin’ Out Of That But Love” what I love most is that bass line. There is a cool section in the middle where the bass is at the fore, which is my favorite part. That’s followed by “Amsterdam.” This song is interesting, particularly if you’ve already listened to I Wouldn’t Live In New York City. On that later album, there is a song titled “Houston-Town,” in which Buck Owens sings, “Houston town, oh, Houston town/How I love you, Houston town/When I get there, I’m gonna kiss the ground.” Well, in this one he sings, “Amsterdam, oh Amsterdam/How I love you, Amsterdam/When I get there, I’m going to kiss the ground.” Wow, it’s like writing the same love letter to two different women (looking at you, John Falstaff). Buck Owens was cheating a bit here (or, rather, there, since this one came out first).

One of my personal favorite tracks from this album is “Black Texas Dirt,” a song about a family struggling to make a living, and the son wanting to leave it all behind. “Black Texas dirt, you’re full of hurt/And you won’t grow nothing but weeds/You took my mama and papa, it’s true/But you ain’t gonna get me.” There is a spoken word section partway through: “As I reached the gate and turned to take one last look/At the old home place where I was born/I thought I could hear voices calling to me.”  This track features some really nice work on guitar. Things then get fun with “Scandinavian Polka,” a delightful instrumental featuring fiddle. This is the album’s only instrumental track.

Then we get “The Wind Blows Every Day In Oklahoma,” which might sound suspiciously like his song “The Wind Blows Every Day In Chicago,” from I Wouldn’t Live In New York City. Well, guess what? Buck Owens has cheated again. I guess this is part of how he was able to put out so many records. Change one word, and he has a new song. I suppose the later version, the Chicago version, makes more sense; after all, it is the Windy City. The album then concludes with “Full Time Daddy,” a totally enjoyable and playful song. Here is a taste of the lyrics: “Well, I’m sick and tired of this song and dance/From now on, I’m going to wear the pants/I’m going to be your full time daddy or I won’t be no daddy at all/Well, I’m going to be your number one/I don’t like number two.” This track also contains some good work on piano. It is another of the album’s highlights.

CD Track List

  1. The Kansas City Song
  2. Bring Back My Peace Of Mind
  3. (It’s A Long Way To) Londontown
  4. I’d Love To Be Your Man
  5. You Can’t Make Nothin’ Out Of That But Love
  6. Amsterdam
  7. Black Texas Dirt
  8. Scandinavian Polka
  9. The Wind Blows Every Day In Oklahoma
  10. Full Time Daddy

This special re-issue of The Kansas City Song was released on August 27, 2021 through Omnivore Recordings.

No comments:

Post a Comment