Sunday, October 2, 2022

April March: “In Cinerama” (2022) CD Review

It’s damn near impossible to get every title one might want on any given Record Store Day. So it’s always a wonderful and beneficial thing when the albums are later released on CD. Sure, like most folks, I prefer the vinyl. But really, as long as I have the music on some physical format, I am a happy boy. And so as I listen to April March’s In Cinerama, I am a happy boy. This was released on vinyl on July 17, 2021, and then early this year was released on CD, with two bonus tracks and new liner notes, the liner notes presented in both English and French. Also, the CD release has a somewhat different cover. April March (her real name is Elinor Blake) is a singer and songwriter working in the pop realm, delivering a glorious kind of pop that is totally enjoyable. She co-wrote most of the material on In Cinerama. The album was produced by Mehdi Zannad and Elinor Blake.

The album opens with “Lift Off,” which is both cool and totally adorable, a bright pop song with a string section. Here is a taste of the lyrics: “And all the colors/Above me/Became the colors of you/And the world below/Need never know/When I go.” Yes, this is like a pop heaven. This track was written by Elinor Blake and Mehdi Zannad. The good vibes continue with “Rolla Rolla,” this one written by Tony Allen, Elinor Blake and Mehdi Zannad. I love those backing vocals. The backing vocalists performing on this release are Marilyn Wilson-Rutherford, Petra Haden, Rachel Haden, Lola Kirke, Benett Rogers and Mehdi Zannad. Things get even better with “Open Your Window Romeo,” one of my personal favorites. It has a delicious groove, and features a wonderful vocal performance, along with a timeless vibe. There is certainly something of a 1960s influence on April March’s work. This one is sung partially in French, and includes an excellent string section, arranged by Sean O’Hagan. Does pop get any better than this?

It seems that everyone (or nearly everyone) wants to believe in the magic of California, especially those of us who make our homes there, and April March taps into that special sense on “Californian Fall.” It even opens with the line, “Hollywood is magical.” And though I’ve been here quite a while now, sometimes it still seems that way to me. “Neighborhoods full of promises/All the sweet possibility/Sip the wine, feel the mild/Californian fall/Bringing up the scents from the canyons.” This song feels like a California breeze, carrying sunshine and pixie dust and hope. It leads straight into “Stand In The Sun,” a song which seems to grow out of the previous track, just developing a stronger groove. This one features some wonderful work from the brass section. And the tone certainly changes from the last song, which we might not realize at first. But here April March sings, “When the blood comes rushing down the street/Tell me, where will you be/Will you take my hand and come and stand in the sun with me?

There is a certain 1960s influence on “Ride Or Divide” too, both in her vocal performance and in certain elements of the overall sound. I love that rhythm. “Can you hear me when the night is darkest/Singing to you underneath your eyelids/Wanna hold you, wanna hold you so much/I’m not afraid, I’m gonna let it happen.” I also really like that kind of trippy jam at the end. This is another of my personal favorites. That’s followed by “Elinor Blue,” a title that leaves us wondering how much this song tells her own story. After all, her real name is Elinor. “Daddy died when I was a child/How could I know a mercy mild?/But Mama tried/She told me when I cried/To sail it like a victory.”

“Runaway” is the first of five tracks on this disc that April March did not have a hand in writing. This one was written by Mehdi Zannad. It has some classic elements, even “shoo-wop” backing vocals, but combined with more modern sounds, to interesting effect, creating its own time. “I just need to survive/With you life is boring and sad/I just can’t seem to find/A way to treat you kind.” That’s followed by “Baby,” also written by Mehdi Zannad, and also having something of a classic vibe, taking us back to the early 1960s. There is something sweet about this one, particularly in that final section, which features some beautiful work on strings. “Here comes my baby in my arms/I’ll know what you know/Sing what you sing/Play what you play.” That’s followed by a cover of “Down The Line,” a song written by Perry Botkin and Barry De Vorzon, this version featuring a pretty vocal performance. Then the final of the original release’s tracks is “Born.” There is something rather sweet and comforting about this one. “You’re in your day/Pick up your trail again/‘Cause you are never far from the day you were born.”

Bonus Tracks

The CD contains two tracks not included on the original vinyl release. Both were written by Mehdi Zannad. The first, “Goodbye,” is gentle and adorable, with a folk vibe, and the strings playing a prominent role. “Waking up by your side/Means a lot to me/It’s enough just sitting/Better enjoy what we’re living.” Toward the end the song kicks in, begins to swell and becomes even more joyful. I am sure this song will draw a smile out of the darkest of hearts. The final song is titled “Friends Peculiar,” a pop song that even includes hand claps at certain points. I love the way this one builds in its second half. “All my friends peculiar/They jump start/So joyous/I’m jealous/When I’m worth a token/I come by/To cheer up and listen.”

CD Track List

  1. Lift Off
  2. Rolla Rolla
  3. Open Your Window Romeo
  4. Californian Fall
  5. Stand In The Sun
  6. Ride Or Divide
  7. Elinor Blue
  8. Runaway
  9. Baby
  10. Down The Line
  11. Born
  12. Goodbye
  13. Friends Peculiar

In Cinerama was released on CD on March 18, 2022 through Omnivore Recordings.

No comments:

Post a Comment