Saturday, August 28, 2021

Sam Barron: “A Prayer For A Field Mouse” (2021) CD Review


Sam Barron is a singer and songwriter with a talent for writing unusual lyrics that pull listeners in. From the very first line of his new album, A Prayer For A Field Mouse, he demonstrates that talent. This new album features mostly original material written by Sam Barron. Joining him on this release are Charles Newman on organ, theremin, percussion, electric guitar and marxophone (Newman also produced the album); Byron Isaacs on bass; Tom Curiano on drums; Jack McLoughlin on pedal steel and lap steel; and Eva Mikhailnova on accordion and backing vocals. That first line, by the way, is “He left me for his wife.” That song, “Tallahassee,” has a folk sound, but with some surprising lyrics, like these: “I flew south to see my family/Now I’m smoking crack in Tallahassee.” I’ve been to Tallahassee, and honestly, there’s not much else to do there, heartache or no heartache. Check out these lines: “And I love you just the same/Even if you think I’m mean/I sometimes go insane/But that’s not me.” This track also features some nice work on steel guitar. What is most surprising about this song is how moving it ends up being. It’s an excellent start to the album, a song that could make you an instant fan of this artist.

Sam Barron then takes us on the road with “Interstate,” which has a rather cheerful beat and a country vibe. These lines stand out for me: “No superego/In my way/Just a case of amnesia/And a tolerance for pain.” There is a sense of humor to his writing, which is clear in lines like “And she said/Baby, you can crash/But it’d be cooler if you had some cash.” Yeah, I dig some punk mixed into folk. That’s followed by “The Things They Do And Say,” which has something of a lonesome, late-night vibe, and features some pretty work on acoustic guitar. Check out these lines: “Tonight/The pink moon has the city on its knees/All I hear is wind in trees/And it reminds me of the way/People change from day to day.” All of these songs have memorable lines. From “Taconic,” these lines stand out: “Who cares if you’re falling apart/Everybody’s got a broken heart/We’re just lost souls out on the network/Losing touch/Doing whatever/You don’t own anything/And your phone is always listening.” Now those are some perfect lyrics for these strange times we find ourselves in. This is one of my personal favorite songs from this album.

One thing that many people love but which I cannot stand is karaoke. However, Sam Barron shows some of the appeal of it in “Karaoke Queen,” particularly in the lines “Lose yourself in the melody/Everybody needs a song.” This track features some sweet backing vocals. There is also a really good instrumental section featuring steel guitar. That’s followed by “Magnolia,” which is pretty, right from its instrumental intro, and ends up being another of the disc’s highlights. “We held hands on the edge/We haven’t fallen yet.” “Early Blue” also has a certain beauty. This is the only of the album’s tracks not written by Sam Barron. It was composed by F. J. McMahon, and included on his 1969 record Spirit Of The Golden Juice, an excellent album which turned out to be his only release. “Early Blue” is an interesting song about the impending dawn and day, expressing a wish to avoid them. “I wanna close my eyes/Pretend it’s night and quiet, so peaceful/But the rising sun starts the day to run/Wherever it may go.” Sam Barron delivers an excellent rendition.

“San Pedro” has a somewhat darker, more haunting vibe. Here he sings, “I never hurry/I’ve got no place to go/I found heaven/But I haven’t found my home.” The pace of this song is unhurried, to match this character’s view and mood. The line that strikes me each time I listen to this track is “They’ll teach you how to drown.” The album concludes with “Instead Of,” in which he says goodbye to the things in his house, saying he is choosing himself instead. Is this a positive or negative thing, or both?  Sure, he sounds empowered as he sings “I choose me,” but it also seems a lonely and sad existence. After all, he sings “Instead of happiness/Instead of domestic bliss/Instead of security/Instead of you/I choose me.” My feelings change each time I listen to this track, and that itself proves the song to be compelling. Check out these lines: “Vaya con Dios to you pictures on the wall/You can hang forever/The governor won’t call/With all of your memories, you make me a noose/So I’m leaving this house and I’m cutting loose.”

CD Track List

  1. Tallahassee
  2. Interstate
  3. The Things They Do And Say
  4. Taconic
  5. Karaoke Queen
  6. Magnolia
  7. Early Blue
  8. San Pedro
  9. Instead Of

A Prayer For A Field Mouse is scheduled to be released on September 10, 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment