Thursday, August 13, 2020

The Grownup Noise: “Lonely Days” (2020) CD Review

More than a decade ago I saw The Grownup Noise play at T.T. The Bear’s Place in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It’s a venue that, as I understand it, closed several years ago. They were the opening band that night, and I completely fell for them, their set eclipsing that of the headliner. Over the course of the next six years, they released a few CDs, and came out to Los Angeles a few times, always putting on a good show. Then toward the end of 2015, they took a break. Sort of. The band had several changes in their lineup even during those early years, sometimes depending on who was available, with the core being the duo of Paul Hansen and Adam Sankowski, and during the break more changes occurred, including the departure of Adam Sankowski. But The Grownup Noise, under the leadership of Paul Hansen, is still active, and I am thrilled to find they’ve recorded a new album, and that the magic is still there, even if the sound has changed somewhat since the early days.

The group had deftly mixed elements of folk and pop to create memorable and often catchy songs. On their new album, Lonely Days, they have moved more firmly into the pop realm. The album actually features just two musicians – Paul Hansen on vocals, synths and guitar; and Max Weinstein on drums and synth bass. That’s right, no cello on this one. Lonely Days is a perfect title for these strange days of isolation during the pandemic – a time without concerts, without parties (except those thrown by the insensitive and the insane), without gatherings of any real kind. Lonely, indeed. Of course, as far as The Grownup Noise is concerned, the album’s title relates to those days in the immediate aftermath of the departures of those key band members. But it is also about what comes from those days, what emerges from that time. And what has emerged is one hell of a good album. Different from the previous recordings, yes, in part because Paul Hansen composed these songs on the keyboard rather than the guitar, but these tracks are quite good, and lyrically are in line with the excellence we’ve come to expect from this band.

Lonely Days opens with “Turn The Beat Up,” and immediately the difference in the musical approach is apparent, with the keyboard being a dominant element, and the instrumental sections seeming to take a bit of inspiration from some of the prog rock bands at moments. But Paul Hansen’s vocals still have that sweet, gentle sound that I love. “Give me ten minutes tonight/To remember/Life is beautiful/Here in December/Running the rat race/Trying to keep up the pace/They’re coming back with more wine/Now that’s a sign/It’s going to be all right.” Oh yes, that is a good sign. He then asks if they can just turn the beat up, not wanting the moment to end, while at the same time acknowledging “I know we’ve all got to work early” because this is not the song of someone in his early twenties. No, rather it is a song most people I know can relate to. That’s followed by “Never Know.” The keyboard is again a strong presence right from the beginning. This song sets up some scenarios we are likely familiar with, as in the first verse: “Today I saw someone alone/Crying in the street/It was the saddest thing I’ve seen/I want to run to them and hold them/And show them that they’re not alone.” The instinct is to help them out of their own lonely days. Interestingly, the song then takes a turn, as we sometimes question our impulses, keeping us from action. What if that’s not what the person needs, and our approach scares him or her? “Oh, you never know/That’s how the saying goes/Well, I’m tired of that phrase/I need a new one for today.” There is something wonderful and delightful about this song, and it’s kind of catchy as well. “Don’t wait until you’re old/Don’t give up now/You’ve got a lot to share/Be bold.” This is one of my favorite tracks. It stood out for me the first time I listened to this album, and each time I hear it, I appreciate it more.

The idea of shade has always been a pleasant, positive thing for me, something to seek in the summertime, you understand. People now often use the word in a negative light (yes, pun intended), and this song makes use of that negative connotation, “You’re throwing shade/No sun, just a backhanded love song.” Interestingly, it has a kind of smooth, relaxed vibe, the vocal approach reminding me of some of those softer rock songs of the 1970s. There are some lyrics that stand out for me, including these lines: “Ain’t it funny how you’ve been wronged more than anyone alive?/Ain’t the betting kind, but I bet maybe it’s you this time/All the different ways you said that we tried/Each one tied with a bow and a neat little lie.” “Lonely Days,” the album’s title track, follows. This is an unusual pop song, with something of a positive bent, heard in lines like “Lonely days/Give us back the strength to walk right out that front door.” These lines stand out as well: “You don’t believe, you don’t believe anyone/The moon sings, and you turn to the sun.” By the way, there is an animated music video for this song.

“I Get It Now” is another of the disc’s highlights, with some interesting changes and the repeated line “I think I get it now.” There is also something sweet about this song, something both hopeful and somewhat nostalgic, and it is nearly certain to cause you to smile. In addition, there is some really good work on drums. That’s followed by “Call Me Onstage,” another unusual and interesting song, with some catchy elements and more good drumming. And the lines “I’ve never been more embarrassed in my life/That was a long walk home that night” make me smile. In “Tracing Back,” the beat comes in right before the line “a beating heart,” and the way the synth is there with the beat reminds me of some 1980s pop songs. I’m happy to find that this band is still writing quirky and sweet numbers, songs that might make you laugh but will also move you in some way, with the lyrics delivered earnestly. Are we too old to change the notes?

Another track that stands out for me is “Leaving Somerville.” This has been such a weird year, and I actually miss Somerville. Because of the pandemic, I canceled plans to head back to Massachusetts to visit family and friends. It’s weird too how just the mention of a Massachusetts town makes me feel a bit misty, you know? Yeah, reality has certainly shifted. “Come on, come on, let’s go/If we leave right now, we can make the show/Nothing beats a weeknight show/That rocks your soul from your head down to your toes.” I miss going to concerts, weekend, weeknight, whenever. There is a certain humor to this song as well, as in the lines “Oh, the shit musicians talk/You could fill a truck with all your shitty songs” and “Forget the blues/You’re just a white kid from the suburbs too.” Toward the end, Paul sings “We went from living in sin to living with kids/I didn’t know how all of this was supposed to go.” I don’t think any of us do. We are all just making our way through, figuring it out as we go, and trying not to screw up too much. “Leaving Somerville” is followed by “Chase You.” This one opens with lines I’m guessing we can all appreciate: “I can’t thank you enough for making me laugh/It’s been a while, it’s been a while.” I also love these lines: “When people get old, they don’t grow wise/They just get petty, I thought maybe you should know.” When we were kids, we thought people became kinder and wiser as they got older, but these days it is clear that is just not the case. And check out these lines: “If time was not a lie/I’d give you all of mine/These rules, they don’t apply/Don’t let your heart die.” When I first looked at the CD case, based solely on the title, the track I was especially excited to hear was “Midlife Pop Song,” for what I suspect is a rather obvious reason. And, yes, I am definitely amused by the lyrics, a look at where some of us are at this point. “You grow up in the suburbs/Then you hate it to death/Get tired of the city/Then you move to the woods.” But my favorite line is “Sit up on mountains, dreaming of oceans.”

CD Track List
  1. Turn The Beat Up
  2. Never Know
  3. Shade
  4. Lonely Days
  5. I Get It Now
  6. Call Me Onstage
  7. Tracing Back
  8. Leaving Somerville
  9. Chase You
  10. Midlife Pop Song
Lonely Days was released on June 5, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment