Saturday, October 25, 2014

Jack Bruce (1943 - 2014)


When I was in seventh grade, my science teacher made a Cream reference, and my friend Dan and I were the only ones who got it. From then on, in that teacher’s eyes we could do no wrong. Then in high school I went to see The Moody Blues at the Centrum in Worcester, Massachusetts. Before their show, there came an announcement over the sound system: “Please welcome special surprise opening act, Jack Bruce!” And I leapt out of my seat. Jack Bruce! I couldn’t believe it. I also couldn’t believe the people around me, who asked me, “Who is that?” I remember he did “Theme For An Imaginary Western” and “White Room” that night. The Moody Blues were great, but a bit anti-climactic for me after getting to see Jack Bruce. That was October 26, 1988. Quite a while ago, sure, but it’s a show I think about somewhat regularly, and even then I recognized it as something special. Today the world lost Jack Bruce, and I am more thankful than ever that I got to see him perform.

No comments:

Post a Comment