Sunday, January 8, 2023

Lex Grey And The Urban Pioneers: “How Many Roads?” (2023) CD Review

Remember 2016? It was an absolutely excruciating year, full of death and the worst that American politics could possibly offer. Yet, oddly, even with the loss of so many brilliant musicians and songwriters, it was an incredible year of music. That was the year I was turned on to the music of Lex Grey And The Urban Pioneers, with their fantastic release Heal My Soul, which ended up being one of my favorite albums of that year. They followed that a couple of years later with Usual Suspects, another excellent album that helped us get through another strange year. Well, the times continue to baffle and depress us, with an ongoing pandemic, gun violence and right-wing nuts waging their own insane war against democracy. But Lex Grey And The Urban Pioneers are back with another delicious release, How Many Roads? At the bottom of the album’s cover it says, “Made With Love – Exploding With Flavor – Enjoy Before Doomsday.” So you might want to pick up your copy soon. Because, really, who knows? The album features all original material, most of it written or co-written by Lex Grey. And this music is sure to help us through these bizarre times, and perhaps even through doomsday.

The album opens with “In It Together,” which establishes an enjoyable groove right at the start, with some good work on bass. There is a somewhat mellow vibe as Lex Grey begins, which is something of a surprise. “I don’t really care about the things that I once knew/I don’t really care about what I was supposed to do.” Oh yes, I think many of us are in touch with that feeling. She seems relaxed here. But don’t worry, soon she begins to belt out certain lines, starting, appropriately, with this one: “I want to stand up and shout it, stand up and shout it, stand up and shout it.” If you don’t understand why things have gotten so screwed up in this country and the world, well, you are not alone. This song is for you. And Lex Grey tells us that directly toward the end of the song: “We’re not alone, we’re in this together.” This track features some nice stuff by Brian Dewan on keys. This one was written by Lex Grey, Ed Wasilewski and Vic Deyglio. It’s followed by the album’s title track, which begins with a burst and also gives us a strong groove before Lex Grey come in on vocals. “You don’t know how long I’ve been down and out/I don’t worry about the things I lack/Nothing left to hold me back.” Things are nutty, and our responses to this vary, I suppose, from person to person, and I completely understand her take: “I’m going to take it any way I can/Made a little money and I spent it fast/Nothing here is made to last.” And then when she asks “How many road will we go down?” it is like she really wants an answer, is demanding an answer from the universe, as she repeats the question. I love how this song seems to exist right on the edge, which is where a lot of us seem to be residing. I also love that electric guitar. This track really starts to rock toward the end. It was written by Lex Grey and Ed Wasilewski.

“Ain’t From Mississippi” is a blues gem which begins with Lex telling us, “I ain’t from Mississippi/I ain’t from New Orleans/I never walked in Memphis.” And she again she tells us, “I do what I got to do.” And we believe her. She is a raw force, seemingly capable of anything, and she tears into the song vocally. She then brings it down for the lines “If you don’t like the way I talk/Send me back to Brooklyn, New York,” the instruments falling out for that second line, a cool, surprising moment. That’s followed by “Old Crookedy Broom,” which is great fun from the moment it starts with that classic rhythm, which is completely delicious. Plus, this one features a horn section, adding to its fantastic sound. Chris Pasin is on trumpet, and Jay Collins is on saxophone. When the album’s cover promised, “Exploding with Flavor,” that was no empty boast. Take this track as a prime example. It is so cool, with soul, with power. And wait, is this song really about not wanting to clean the floor? I was digging this song long before I started paying close attention to what she’s actually saying. “And the more I clean, the more dirt I see/Now I’m crawling on my hands and my knees/They tell me it’s godly, oh, they say it’s divine/If you ask me, it’s just a waste of my time.” Wonderful! The music and the power and the groove carry me, but I’m also digging the song’s theme, particularly as I am in a constant battle with the dust in my home, and feel like giving up.

“Begin Again” has kind of a sweet, loving feel, with something of a 1960s vibe, particularly in that guitar work, which has a bit of a psychedelic sound. And check out that work on organ as well. “All I want for you/Is to live in peace/To feel love/To be inspired/And never grow tired/All I want for you/Is to be free.” This song is surprisingly touching and beautiful. Here she reminds us that hope is not lost, that we can begin again. “All I want for you/Is to not feel pain.” Positive vibes abound in “I Believe In You,” which has a delicious groove, one that is capable of cheering us. Plus, we get the horns again on this one. “We can take on the whole wide world/And we can live in harmony/We can find what’s true/Be the change we want to see.” Among the many things taped to my refrigerator is this line: “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” It is attributed to Mahatma Gandhi, though I’ve read that he in fact did not say that. Who knows?  Anyway, suddenly things turn funky with this number. I love the way this band takes us on a glorious ride. We are in good hands. And you know what, I am optimistic listening to this song. I believe “We can live in harmony.” Am I foolish? Maybe so. But if only more people would be foolish in that way, perhaps it would work out.

“Aches And Pains” has a slower groove. When Lex Grey opens the song with its title line, “Aches and pains,” I’m not sure if she is going to sing about her own pains. After all, this is a blues number. But she follows that line with this: “I don’t want to hear about your aches and pains.” And hell, that makes me want to stop my own whining. This woman has a great power over the listeners. And the track becomes even better when she belts out, “I don’t want to hear, I don’t want to hear it no more.” This track also features some great work on guitar. That’s followed by “You Confine Me,” which has a raw power, and features some wonderful vocal work. “It’s going to be a strange day.” Stu Schulman joins the group on pedal steel for this track. This one was written by Vic Deyglio, and is the only song on this album that Lex Grey did not have a hand in writing.

Lex Grey then changes gears with “Biker Down,” a song about losing someone to an accident. This one has a different sound, in part because of the presence of mandolin. That’s Ed Wasilewski on mandolin, and I love what he does on this track. And Tim Farrell plays bass on this one. This track also includes some good work on guitar. It’s beautifully haunting at moments. This past year has been one of death, and it seems everywhere I turn, death is looking back, lurking within the music I hear, the books I read, as if demanding to be faced. “Bike Down” is followed by “After A Lifetime,” which has a wonderful rock energy. There is a bit of a 1980s vibe to this one, to her vocal approach and the synths, and I love it. “Is this what it feels like after a lifetime?” The album then concludes with “Angel,” which has a sweet vibe as it starts. “You protected me from things I never saw coming,” Lex Grey sings here. The song takes an unexpected turn, as we learn “You were my angel/And now you’re gone.” This one hit me kind of hard, this idea that one’s protection, one’s sense of security is gone. Brian Dewan plays accordion on this track.

CD Track List

  1. In It Together
  2. How Many Roads?
  3. Ain’t From Mississippi
  4. Old Crookedy Broom
  5. Begin Again
  6. I Believe In You
  7. Aches And Pains
  8. You Confine Me
  9. Biker Down
  10. After A Lifetime
  11. Angel

How Many Roads? is scheduled to be released on January 27, 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment