The album gets off to a delightful start with "Papa's Gone," a song written by Louis Andre, Glen Caraway and Bob Miller. This is a song that was popular in Austin in the 1920s, and this band delivers a wonderful rendition. "You're gonna wake up crying/Weeping and a-sighing/Yeah, you're gonna be all alone/You used to call me your little ace in the hole/But, mama, sweet, sweet mama, you're gonna miss that sweet jelly roll," Colin Hancock sings. This track features some really good work on cornet and clarinet. And check out that short lead on baritone saxophone, which goes straight into a brief lead on banjo. There is a kind of celebratory air to that jam at the end, and I'm a little sad when the track comes to a rather sudden ending. Things then get good and bluesy with "I'm A Thousand Miles From Home," this one featuring a phenomenal vocal performance by Lauryn Gould. "I'm a good gal/But I'm a thousand miles from home/I'm a good gal/But I'm in this man's town alone/No more coffee in my coffee pot/No more sugar in my bowl/Nothing but this lonesome longing/For good jelly roll." Ah, that was the time when "jelly roll" was a common expression. It seems it's time to bring that one back. "I'm a good gal/But I sure ain't understood/No one tries to do me any good."
Things then get hopping with The Joymakers' rendition of Paul Van Loan's "Crazy Quilt," a number to get you shaking your tailfeathers or whatever it is you like to shake. The track features a wonderful, and wonderfully fun, piano solo partway through. I've long been drawn to the 1920s, and listening to this music makes me feel it must have been an exciting and delightful time (at least when the music was playing). "That's A Serious Thing" follows, the horns announcing the number, calling folks together. More than a minute in, David Jellema comes in on vocals. "If your house catch on fire, and lord, there ain't no one around/That's a serious thing/So you jump out the window/Let that shack burn down." This track also features a good lead on piano. "Everybody Stomp" also features some great stuff on piano. This is a fun number, with some delicious work on bass. A catchy and lively tune, to be sure, with an undeniable appeal.
Another of my personal favorites is "Goofy Dust Rag," which I am completely enamored of right from that piano solo at the beginning. And from there, it becomes a loose dance, with its own unexpected magic, feeling improvised and spontaneous. Every moment of this track is something to take delight in. It's followed by the album's title track, "Down Where The Bluebonnets Grow," written by Phil Baxter. The bluebonnet is the state flower of Texas, and this song is a clear choice for this band to perform. This one features an accordion lead, which I love. It isn't until the second half of the song that Colin comes in on vocals. "I want to be down south with you/Down where the bluebonnets grow." There is even a little whistling, imitating a bird call. The band follows that with "Tia Juana," which has a cheerful spirit and offers an opportunity for the bass to shine.
"Wolverine Blues" is especially fun, a lively Jelly Roll Morton number that makes the whole world a dance. There is so much joy heard in the playing here, and everyone in the band gets a chance to deliver the goods. I especially enjoy the banjo work of Westen Borghesi. There are some playful moments in this rendition that are delightful. That's followed by "I Ain't Thinkin' 'Bout You," with Lauryn Gould delivering another strong vocal performance. "You talk, but don't say anything/I listen, don't hear anything/I know that I'm not blind/But I can't read what's on your mind/Don't know what you're thinkin' about." I love that moment when the song suddenly takes off, the pace increasing, the band cooking. It then returns to the slower pace of the main section. Then "Hot Aire" features some really nice work on drums, plus some wonderful work on cornet, including some playful touches.
The band changes pace with an excellent rendition of "Kiss Me Sweet," written by Steve Lewis and Armand Piron. Colin delivers a good vocal performance. "You went away/I longed each day/To hold you closer/Press your loving lips to mine/All mine, mine, mine/I thought I'd die/I don't know why." This track ends up being another of the disc's highlights, and it features some great stuff on saxophone. I love the mood and vibe of this track. The album then concludes with "Tiger Rag," written by Mick Larocca, wrapping things up with a fast-paced gem to keep our spirits high, everyone in the band delivering some delicious and exciting work. Ah, yes, life is good.
CD Track List
- Papa's Gone
- I'm A Thousand Miles From Home
- Crazy Quilt
- That's A Serious Thing
- Everybody Stomp
- Goofy Dust Rag
- Down Where The Bluebonnets Grow
- Tia Juana
- Wolverine Blues
- I Ain't Thinkin' 'Bout You
- Hot Aire
- Kiss Me Sweet
- Tiger Rag
Down Where The Bluebonnets Grow was released on September 20, 2024 on Turtle Bay Records.

No comments:
Post a Comment